Basically Stock

Use this gallery to show off your own garage of sleds - everything 1:32 and smaller - no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
canabits
bitThug

Basically Stock

Post by canabits »

Microsizer Skyline body on a clone chassis with custom cast resin gears and new wheels.

CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

nice wheels, now ya gotta paint the shell - the rims deserve it lol

did you make the gears?
got pics? :smile:
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
canabits
bitThug

re:gears

Post by canabits »

I'll try to snap some pics tomorrow.

I took the gears from the Tomy gear set , the handfull of clones I have and the Bit Racers I have, made RTV molds, and cast them in resin so I wouldn't have to buy multiple sets for specific gears. Now I've got an endless supply. They work pretty good on the basically stock bit's we race the most. Hoping to pick up a micro amps fet modded pcb on my trip to Oz. Will see if they hold up to the extra power. I may need to start casting them in a tougher resin, maybe even epoxy.

On my personal cars I cast them in basic white. Ones I make for the guys I race with get cast in colour. Makes it easy for me to see the ratio they are running while mine all look the same 8-)
filelicker
bitNinja

Post by filelicker »

Where did you get the wheels and what type of resin are you using to cast the gears?
I build resin model cars in 1/25 scale and it is pretty brittle.
:???:
People are like slinkies..... they are the most fun when you push them down stairs.
HOHOHO

re:

Post by HOHOHO »

Wheels are from a Hot Wheels. I believe the packaging was "Street Rodder" and the car was a Phaeton. They had them on clearance at the local Wal-mart over x-mas for $2 each [reg. $7.99] so I picked up a few of it and the 'Midnight Auto' from the same series. what you can't see in the pic is that they are quite wide [rears are roughly 1/4 inch]

The resin I am using is relatively soft as far as casting resins go. It's is a product from Synair called Por-A-Kast. I've used both Por-A-kast2 and Por-A-Kast3 with good results. I haven't had any gears break or teeth chip but I have had the hole on the idler gear wear out after extended use. Haven't had any problems with my axle gears or pinions.

I've tried Alumilite, Smooth-On, and a few from Micro-Mark but I've had best results with Synair's. One I haven't tried but would like to is Micro-Marks CR-900 high strength.

What resin are you using?
canabits
bitThug

shite!

Post by canabits »

*note to self - make sure friend is not logged in when using his PC
filelicker
bitNinja

Post by filelicker »

Thanks for the reply ,
I use micro mark resin to make parts for my 1/25 cars{carbs , heads blocks,wheels}.I never thought of using it to replicate mini rc parts. i thought it would be too brittle , but you proved me wrong . I am going to cast up and pop out some parts this weekend , bodies ought to be fun.
Thanks again for the info , I will be on the look out for those hotwheels.
People are like slinkies..... they are the most fun when you push them down stairs.