Video: Disco Bit (by diets)

Use this gallery to show off your own garage of sleds - everything 1:32 and smaller - no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Video: Disco Bit (by diets)

Post by CaboWabo »

As some of you might have seen in a previous post, diets (from a German site) made this "Disco Bit" - I'm fascinated by it.
He's been kind enough to allow me to host up a streaming version of the Disco Bit.
Enjoy.
Last edited by CaboWabo on Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
Stoli
bitPimp

Post by Stoli »

thats pretty frikin' cool :shock:
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Ok, who's sitting here thinking, "How can I do that?" I'm trying to figure it out, but my electronic knowledge hasn't quite gone that far, and I'm really wishing I tore apart that light organ I had from rat shack, when I was a kid.

I'm guessing I need a couple of those LED boards to make light. Some kind of tiny microphone to pick up sound. I can probably rob one those from a celluar phone's hand free thing. Now I just need to figure out how to trip the lights. I'm going to check www.partsexpress.com to try to find a kit to build a light organ type device. They have lots of litttle radio kits and stuff, but I'm not sure if they have what I need. I could always get one of those dancing daisys, and go over that PCB to see how it works, but then I'd have to figure out how to cram it into a bit.

When you really start to think about how he might have done that, it's really quite amazing.

Or are there any electronics geniuses out here that can explain to how to do this.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

ok im assuming that the lights were going to some sort of disko music but i dont have sound turned up right now. if thats the case its not very hard to wire all that up. i imagine those leds are the same as the ones in your cell phones.
Claude Balls
bitPimp

Post by Claude Balls »

a regulator will probably be essential
I gets mine at PNN biatch!
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

you stupid clown. nate dogg and warren g couldnt get this going.
noxorc
bitPimp

Post by noxorc »

who is to say, the lights were blinking based on the sound input?
A random generator is good enough to make it 'go with the beat'.

My questions lead me to ask, what extra Tx/Rx signal did he use to start the light sequence? (without knowing, did he use the "reverse" signal, or did he completely add a new PCB board with another 8 signals?)

-nox
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Every time I see that car, I love it.. Very cool car..

silla
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

Damn, don't know how I missed this one.

Crazydave, I belive the circuit is based around a PIC microcontroller. Why I say this is that the LED's look like they are running on a set routine and not in sync with the music. As to which PIC chip and how diets programmed it I have no idea.

There is a chip called the LM3915 that is a LED display bar/dot VU meter that could listen to the music around it and show the VU reponse. You would need the chip, a microphone, a DC supply af around 5V and some misc components and it would work, it would be hard to fit it into a bit though.

What diets has achieve is mad!

ph2t.
Aquarius
bitThug

Post by Aquarius »

Yet it never moved th entire video who is to say it even runs maybe he stripped it clean?
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

Aquarius wrote:Yet it never moved th entire video who is to say it even runs maybe he stripped it clean?
I'm not doubting it, I've seen diets posts on other forums and he's a true playa....
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Aquarius wrote:Yet it never moved th entire video who is to say it even runs maybe he stripped it clean?
Actaully I seem to remember it driving out right in the beginning.

Ph2t, I think your right about it being a set pattern.

I've done an experiment with replacing the clipping diodes in my guitars distortion pedal with LEDs, and they now flicker in response to the input. (As well as giving me better tone, but that's another story for the guitar forums)

I built a simple distortion circuit using a NPN3904 transistor, a LED, a mic from a cell phone hands free thing, and a couple resistors. I could make it small enough to fit in a bit, but it wont work off less than 9v, and I'm currently inactively trying to figure how I could get it to work off less voltage.

Your electronics knowledge is miles ahead of mine, any suggestions?
crazydave's Gallery
noxorc
bitPimp

Post by noxorc »

crazydave wrote:Your electronics knowledge is miles ahead of mine, any suggestions?
I do, Fly Ph2t from Aussie to the states. Pay for a hotel for a weeks stay.
chat with him about it over lunch. Have a bitPimps Homie Party.
and the rest of us in the States (or there abouts) can come over and chat too.

or you two can e-mail back and forth.

-nox
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

noxorc wrote:
crazydave wrote:Your electronics knowledge is miles ahead of mine, any suggestions?
I do, Fly Ph2t from Aussie to the states. Pay for a hotel for a weeks stay.
chat with him about it over lunch. Have a bitPimps Homie Party.
and the rest of us in the States (or there abouts) can come over and chat too.

or you two can e-mail back and forth.

-nox
Man if I could afford all that, I'd be flying over to Aussie to bug him. ;)
crazydave's Gallery
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

I would like to go too, but only after they get some faster passenger jets going...
I think even by plane now - it still takes like 3 months to get there lol
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.