Old School Skyline Racer

Use this gallery to show off your own garage of sleds - everything 1:32 and smaller - no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
crazydave
bitPimp

Old School Skyline Racer

Post by crazydave »

I'm kinda on the wall with this one. This is one of those really nice bodies that you almost hate to paint, but since I put the turbo in my Epoch, I can see this body is gonna take a bashing, so I went ahead and personalized it.

I kept seeing this car as a race car, so that's what I went after. These water based Acrylics in the Testors value set lay pretty thin and smooth, so I thought I'd give them a go, and damn, its hard painting with a brush. I pretty happy with what I did, but still it looks brushed on in spots and that kinda bugs me. Mostly just cause I love this body and wanted perfect.

I took these pictures before I clear coat. I'm using some Testors Enamel to clear coat, because I think it'll be safer on the Acrylic paint, but I've never had good luck with this paint, so I'm a little nervous.

So what do you think, did I botch a nice body, or did I improve it slightly?

Last edited by crazydave on Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i like it, although i'd extend the stripes over the roof and trunk. looks kinda half done. :-o
i used to be cool
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

I give it an "A".

Looks smooth to me. I can't really tell that there is any brush strokes.

Ditto with the stripe.
Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I was thinking about putting them on the trunk, but left them off the roof on purpose, just because I noticed a lot of fullsize cars don't carry them through the roof. Not sure why that is, but probably car companies just being cheap. :???:
crazydave's Gallery
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i figure it's because you don't really see the roof like you do with a micro :???:
i used to be cool
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Because you've gotta get a ladder to paint the roof.

Looks good
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

I bet nervous, that body is cool as poo.
Yea, I don't see any strokes either.
Who knows why they don't continue the stripes. I'm making up my own theory and saying that when racing stripes came about on consumer cars, vinyl tops were the shit, it broke up the solid color a bit and looked cool.
Yea, yea, that's the ticket.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

nice work man, but yeah I would extend the stripes the whole length.

with a shell like that, it's all in the details. sorry to sound like a noob but maybe a nice set of front and rear LED lights would go down well....

ph2t.
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

CaboWabo wrote:I bet nervous, that body is cool as poo.
Yea, I don't see any strokes either.
Who knows why they don't continue the stripes. I'm making up my own theory and saying that when racing stripes came about on consumer cars, vinyl tops were the shit, it broke up the solid color a bit and looked cool.
Yea, yea, that's the ticket.
That IS the ticket, along with sunroofs, targa tops, etc. Also the particular style of rally stripe. Mid-to-late-sixties and earlier tended to be thinner and run the entire length on all surfaces, and 68 or so and you start seeing the stripes getting fatter, more aggressive, and running different directions.

I think it looks pretty nice, nothing that gives it away as a brushed car. I agree with betty about the stripe, though. Or at least something to carry the theme past the windshield.

Isn't it weird washing your brush in the sink? I've just started messing around with acrylics as well.
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

I like it how it is. Don't extend the stripe. It looks like a civilian car that loves to goto the track on weekends. I love the english look :-o
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I was just getting ready to extend it, and then one guy says don't. :???:

Well, I'm actually still not sure. In the pictures, I agree, needs a stripe or something. In person, well... I don't know... I just don't want to over do it. I'd like to see as much of the original car as possible.

Isn't it weird washing your brush in the sink? I've just started messing around with acrylics as well.
It's great. :-D

Clean up is so much easier now, and when its dry it comes right off with rubbing alcohol. I redid the number plates on this car over and over again. Just kept wiping the imperfections off with an alcohol soaked q-tip, untill I got it close enough.
crazydave's Gallery
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

That looks Friggen Sweet man! That is one of my favorite Epoch Bodies and it just yells it needs modding! :eek:

Vary nice job on the strips and I could not tell you brushed the number plates vary neat and even! GREAT JOB! :-o :-o

I would put trunk stripes but do what you feel is right man you have to look at it all the time we don't! :lol:
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Ok, so I got my wife's opinion, since she's seeing the same view I am. Without knowing our opnions, she made a funny face and said, "Not the roof, maybe the trunk lid, but the roof would be too much." That's what I was thinking, so that's what I went with.

Clear coat went great. Luckily, last minute I remembered to test it, and good thing too, if I appplied this the way I'm used to, it would have been way too thick and foamed up. I had to move back to about 12" away. This Testors stuff is super glossy, I'm impressed, but this drying time is killing me. I just want to put my bumpers back on, but its still tacky. :-(
Funny, it just seems to look wetter the longer it dries. :lol:
crazydave's Gallery
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

crazydave wrote:This Testors stuff is super glossy, I'm impressed, but this drying time is killing me. I just want to put my bumpers back on, but its still tacky. :-(
If you can possibly manage to do it, wait like 5 days before you touch it. It will keep getting glossier as it dries, and even when it seems not tacky after a day or two, touching it will kill some of the gloss.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

SuperFly wrote:
crazydave wrote:This Testors stuff is super glossy, I'm impressed, but this drying time is killing me. I just want to put my bumpers back on, but its still tacky. :-(
If you can possibly manage to do it, wait like 5 days before you touch it. It will keep getting glossier as it dries, and even when it seems not tacky after a day or two, touching it will kill some of the gloss.

Holy crap that stuff takes forever to cure... I stopped using it for that reason.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein