might as well hop on the bandwagon

Use this gallery to show off your own garage of sleds - everything 1:32 and smaller - no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

might as well hop on the bandwagon

Post by civicsr2cool »

got bored today and had a fresh zzmt lying around. initial ideas were to quad cell it and let it be another street machine but i saw something diffrent with this one.
i have been pondering how i might make a zzmt articulate for a looooooong time. only thing holding me back was the drive shaft, after learning to be able to just pull off the nylon gear it was game time.:?

took ideas from everyones mt and made my own. didnt like the way u guys made ur front articulate so i made the rear articulate like the german dude, and i couldnt settle for 3 cells so im goin 4, and for tires im gonna try and figure out how to get my square ones on ther.

nuff said look at the pics. i will post more tomorrow, i know the pic of the drive shaft will kill yah till then.(its super smooth and jiggle free, the drivetrain that is)

mockup
test fit
over view
gear reduction
drivetrain, sooo smooth
had to kill the stang, and i plan on using this body since it has no wheel wells at all
Last edited by civicsr2cool on Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]D [] []V[] []D
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Nice work. :-o

Actually, I think everyone's chassis pivots in the rear, like the original German mod. Its just the body is mounted to the rear so it looks like the front is pivoting separate from the body,
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

got two more pics, dont really knwo what else to take a pic of so ill explain it.
for the drivetrain i started with a antenna tube, then took two brass eyelets for a servo, which are a perfect fit for the driveshaft, and stuck them in botlh ends of the tube. i ran the drive shaft through the tube and i glued one eyelet to the rea pod and the tube glued to the front pod.

this one shows the rear pod with the drive shaft in it and the eyelt glued to it

front pod with the tube glued and the eyelet resting in it

and my setup will be everything up front and the rear will be live by it self
[]D [] []V[] []D
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

Lookin' good. It'll be interesting to see how the combination of 4 cells and gear reduction perform... medium speed with a shitload of torque? I drove SuperFly's truck with gear reduction, and the slow speed was cool. I'm working on one of these too, but I think I'm gonna keep it slow and low-geared, so I can watch the cool articulated suspension do its thing.

Shoot some video of that thing in action, please. :-o

edit: Nice work on that drive shaft setup... those brass eyelets are slick. :eek:
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

Any pimp know where i could pick up some of those eyelets?
sat4life27
bitPimp

Post by sat4life27 »

Very nice, clean work man. I have been in the middle of performing the mod to one of mine but haben't quite go it to my liking. :-o
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I see what you're saying, same pivot point, but you putting all the weight on the front half, where as everyone else is putting the PCB, batteries, and everything else on the rear pod.

I kinda split it. Got the batteries in the front, and the PCB and body attached to the back. Seemed pretty balanced when I ran it, didn't wheelie as bad as it used to.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Clint
bitPimp

Post by Clint »

Very nice work.
Both methods work fine.

The more you need to pack in, ie 4 cells, aftermarket electrics,
etc, you do get a bit more room up front.
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

Tuner1989 wrote:Any pimp know where i could pick up some of those eyelets?
I got mine any place that sells leather and items like that only saw large ones at fabric stores and Wally World.

Nice work man I might have to do some of this too!
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

the eyeets are from servos man. u get them with the little rubber things to mount the servos.
this project will be on hold along with everything else since i got my brushless 18t runnin :-D
[]D [] []V[] []D
MotorGong
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

Cool man! I'm diggin it. It's neat to see that you're doing it.
BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

got it done but i keep having trouble keeping it together. when i use jbweld i never have good results, should it be 1 part hardener 1 part steel? maybe i should try 2 hardener. although maybe the jbweld is being eaten by the oil that i put on my gears. whatever it is i cannot at all get this jbweld to hold the rear axle on:
this photo shows where i am having trouble glueing it. it breaks right in the same spot every time and the rest of the circle of weld is on the driveshaft eyelt. there is equal amount of jbwled there as well as other places except this spot has no backing like the lower section with the motor pod(prolly just confused u :lol: ) the jbweld seems to stick to the brass fine and the plastic just wont stock to itself. will ca glue hold the weld together?

enough with that

i made my own steering box with a servo i had from a plane. ripped the servo out,stripped out the gears, glued some rods, and made a servo horn, used the stock motor pod with a diffrent pinion, tons of torque this way :grin:
was fun while i had it runnin, creeped real slow and had way too much torque, thinking of going to 3 cells but i only have a 2 and a 5 cell charger(works perfect for 4 though)

another problem is making body mounts, how are guys running these? i plan on running front body mounts and maybe some velcro on the sides.

better analysis and pictures are due when i can get this thing to last more than 2 charges
[]D [] []V[] []D
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

got it to last 3 charges so i decided to take pics before it breaks again.

got it to go extremely well and perfect for my square tires. true rock climbing tires.

heres one to show i can get on 3 stock tires with ease. still room to go, but no body would ever let it go that far.

tried the stockers too but they sucked. had to put solder in um to even keep um down durring acceleration.

and the amount of artic sucks.

then i put my huge huge tires on and i had a blast. they are super wide and heavy. perfect to keep the truck down.
its between a stock off set and a reversed off set

only problem i have with it now is my 4wd is gone, totoally i dont even get any when i pick it up and floor it anymore. ive had this problem with all of my mts. after awhile they die out but this one never really had it to begin with.usually it starts with clicking and then its strips, but it had 4wd pretty well with my wide tires then i put the squares on there and it shook it loose from all the vibrations or something
im going to try to swap rear axles with one of my other trucks to see if it will help since i think thats my main problem, havent looked at it yet ive only been havin fun runnin everything over.
[]D [] []V[] []D
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

got bored and made some brush guards. may still do work on um but they are pretty much done. might make some step ladders for the doors and maybe a light bar on the back.
the guards are paper clips and solder, not mounted on teh body in any way besides hot glue right now.
[]D [] []V[] []D
stampede_dude
bitNinja

Post by stampede_dude »

4 cells is what is stripping the gears,definately. I am surprised that the dogbones didnt go before the gears did.
Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not