My Pimped out Audi TT

Use this gallery to show off your own garage of sleds - everything 1:32 and smaller - no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

One tip I picked up from old guys who build models, is that most putty will eventually shrink (think in terms of years). They suggest a mixture or baking powder and CA (superglue) instead. Dries really hard, fully sandable, sticks to plastic or most metals, won't shrink...

I've only used putty on 1 body at bit / zip scale, and you're not gonna be seeing that one for a while yet. (hopefully an October rollout though...)
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
PUBE JOOLZ
bitGangsta'

Post by PUBE JOOLZ »

frizzen wrote:One tip I picked up from old guys who build models, is that most putty will eventually shrink (think in terms of years). They suggest a mixture or baking powder and CA (superglue) instead. Dries really hard, fully sandable, sticks to plastic or most metals, won't shrink...

I've only used putty on 1 body at bit / zip scale, and you're not gonna be seeing that one for a while yet. (hopefully an October rollout though...)
Thanks for that insight. Now i have to check my past mods if the putty has some changes.
Heeehah!
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

frizzen wrote:One tip I picked up from old guys who build models, is that most putty will eventually shrink (think in terms of years). They suggest a mixture or baking powder and CA (superglue) instead. Dries really hard, fully sandable, sticks to plastic or most metals, won't shrink...
Is there a way to make a paste from that stuff? maybe a suggested ratio? Cuz that stuff dries FAST :shock:
I've always been afraid to try it because it's superglue...

Maxx
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Maxximum Attack wrote:
Is there a way to make a paste from that stuff? maybe a suggested ratio? Cuz that stuff dries FAST :shock:
I've always been afraid to try it because it's superglue...

Maxx
What?! :shock:
Superglue is fun stuff, just don't put it in your eye. :lol:

I used to use the superglue/baking soda mixture to fill nut slots on my guitar when I cut them too deep and needed to start over. Never thought to try it on bits.

I just squirted out some glue then added powder until it was the consistancy I wanted. I also used to sand at the nut to make some plastic dust to mix in.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

crazy dave has it about right for how I've used it. Put on the powder (baking powder, or even talc if it's all you have), flow on some CA, give it atleast a coupe hours to flash, come back with a nice sharp file and shape it. I've heard rumors that a few people actually do make a paste out of it, but never tried since I like the other method.

This was the only filler I used on my SingleCab Silverado (Bit-Zip Chop Shop). Takes some getting used to, and you want plenty of ventilation, but it's great, dries damn hard, bonds tighter to plastic, transfers stress better, and won't shrink over time like most putties. Add in some styrene, and you can make a body kit that won't shatter or break when you accidently let some idiot who runs into EVERYTHING get a hold of your car.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Since we're talking about superglue, I thought I'd mention one of my favorite toxic chemicals, zip kicker. Also known as cyanoacrylate accelerator, it comes in a little bottle with a spritzer pump, and a quick squirt makes your superglue dry instantly. Open the window and wash your hands, though. :-o
HirotoR34
bitPimp

Post by HirotoR34 »

I started out using credit cards and glue. I still use them but I'll admit that putty helps when doing fender flares and deck spoilers. I did eleanor with a combination of zz plastic, glue, putty and a lot of time. Patience is a huge factor as well....