About time I started a decent bit project...contest inspired

Use this gallery to show off your own garage of sleds - everything 1:32 and smaller - no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
honda_s2000
bitNinja

About time I started a decent bit project...contest inspired

Post by honda_s2000 »

Hey guys ,

I finally got confident enough with the dremel , and inspired by the recent awsome contest to try a decent body mod. I decided to use a clone Honda S2000 body.

So far i've chopped the top , and added a peice of clear packaging (stiff) to cover the rear. It will most likely have an interior too. Also 2 exausts have been added , front has began mods. And have sanded/dremeled for around 50mins to make a perfect transition between the packaging and the body , so once I lay paint , there will be no line. First I had to cut the plastic too large for the body , glue it nice and hard down , and then slowly shave away the exess with the dremel. Next I had to use a a different attatchment to virtually mold them together. Then came the 30mins of sandpaper , first rough , then medium , then a soft emery board (like a nail file , only softer).

So here's a few pics so far ,note the rear is alot smoother than it looks.

Comments/suggestions very welcome !

Thanks everyone for making me get off my lazy arse and shifting it into gear ! :cool:
We don't need no god damn roads!
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

Looking good so far man keep up the good work.

Suggestion only after you get done with the body work primer that bad boy it will allow you to see any places you missed sanding and filling and will help you lay on a good coat of paint where it will stick.

Looking forward to the finished product! :-)
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

Thanks for the positive man , Appreciate it :-) .

I just finished smoothening that back out now , and I cant feel any imperfications as of yet with my fingers. But like you say , primer will tell. I'll sand after primer anyway , with an emery board. After that I'll give it a thin coat of primer , then paint , paint ,paint, then laquer. Lay it on all nice and thin.

Can you belive this is my first bit bodymod in 2/3 years :-D :lol: ..Lazy springs to mind :shock:
We don't need no god damn roads!
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

Not so much "lazy", maybe "unmotivated". That definately was my situation. Then the topless comp came around and I had to grow a pair. Plus modding a virtually untouched car wasn't helping the case either. Keep going man, i know you'll feel as good as I did once you're done :-o

Maxx
PUBE JOOLZ
bitGangsta'

Post by PUBE JOOLZ »

Man i can't wait to see the progress on that ride of yours.

When i was going through the past threads about body work i stumbled upon a post that when going for a dark painted body, the more it will likely to show flaws.

So after doing the overall putty/clay works, i painted my car with gloss black without primer to see if tiny dents, scratches will be present. Then back to fine sanding to correct the issue.

For my Wraith car, i did twice the painting/sanding/putty combo before laying out the final 3 coats of black. I felt satisfied with the outcome that i didn't put any clear coat to seal the deal.

You may not know it yet but i've been visiting the galleries even before i decided to join the fun. All the crazy rides inspired me alot!
Heeehah!
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

One suggestion for you would be to pull those pipes back off and wait till you're finished painting before you put them back on. Masking them will be an unnecessary PITA.

Another suggestion would be to figure out what chassis you're going to put it on, and consider lowering, wheel mods, fitting, etc. before you paint. It's best to figure out the stuff where you have to handle the body a lot before you paint it, so there's less chance of fucking something up later.
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

Ditto!
Chop, cut, rebuild........then paint
Sometimes I even do the body mods and wheel swaps before I even strip the paint.

Maxx
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

I usually cut in for the exhaust after most all other body mods are done, before 1st primer.
I start out, if a convertable, cutting the top first. 2nd fitting it on a chassis
(after any wheel mods are complete) and determining how low it goes and dremeling the
wheel wells to conform, then go from there........
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

DarkTari wrote:I usually cut in for the exhaust after most all other body mods are done, before 1st primer.
I start out, if a convertable, cutting the top first. 2nd fitting it on a chassis
(after any wheel mods are complete) and determining how low it goes and dremeling the
wheel wells to conform, then go from there........
That's where I blew it on my Z. I tried to make the rear deck look like the real car, but that doesn't leave any room over the motor/heat sink to lower the back end. Had I done the tab-lowering before I built the deck, I could have bulged it up slightly to accomodate the motor. And I've made the mistake of doing the wheel mods after painting as well, and you have to be VERY careful and touch up afterwards if you have to make room for larger wheels later.
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

Yeah well it's your first Drop-Top so you're allowed that one :lol:
My 1st was "Golden Rod", didn't lower it so it all came together. My next one was the Modena and I did the same thing. I ripped the rear deckoff, lowered, then redid the deck.