Breaking News.....

Get the latest and greatest scoops on what's going on in the world around you, find out what's hot and what's not fo' sho!
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Son, I think the point is that it's more about your attitude and your ability to learn that will allow you to succeed than what particular level of formal education you receive. Certainly there are occupations that require credentials. If you drop out of high school, chances are slim to none that you'll become a doctor. Then again, you could drop out of high school and get into real estate and make 5 times what doctors make. If you do well in school and that's your thing, go with it. If not, bail and do what you like. Everything you do has it's consequences, you just have to decide what you want out of life.

My brother never finished college, doesn't have a real job (and hasn't for years), and makes probably 1/6 as much as I do in a year. He lives cheap and is on his mountain bike, hiking in the woods, camping at the beach, reading at the library or whatever 5 days a week. He pays no taxes. My family constantly frets about him and his choices, but I envy him.

On the other hand, I have a wife and daughter that I love, a decent house, a badass car, and I can afford all the little cars I want. But I have to work over 50 fuckin hours a week, stressed out most of the time, and I can't just jump out of the rat race without making some major changes in the way I live.

Who's better off? Hard to say. There's a thing you'll learn about sometime called "delayed gratification." If we both died today, my brother will clearly have had more fun in life, even though I'm 5 years older. When we're both in our 60s and I'm retired and he's still working to eat and make rent on his apartment, things might be different.

God damn, I sound like a parent or something. It's way past 4:20 and I got to get my shit together to go over to hue35's to smoke, drink, and race!
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Well since nobody seems to be shy about the past, I'll give a bit of insight to mine as well.

Cabos story and mine are one in the same except I had a year or 2 head start on em.

8th grade is my highest grade completed. I went to high school for about 7 months, and finally dropped out.(I'm not gonna make excuses for my I didn't feel like I needed to be there, but it just wasn't for me.) no GED either. Went to take my GED and failed it by 2 points, but my average was passing, so I called, and cussed at the lady in the capital. that only made things worse. Re took the test, and missed the exact same Qs agian. I was pissed with a chip on my shoulder at 16 with a record, so I gave up on that. (parents kicked my ass out at 16 too, I been on my own since.)

Took me a few years but I got my shit together, and started making the shit work for me..

I've lived on both sides of the spectrum spending as much as I want, and having to make a dollar stretch a week.(which has nothing to do with my level of education. Just the ups, and downs of life) and if I could go back in time, I wouldn't change a damn thing.

my path isn't for everybody, and what's good for the next person may not be what I'm looking for, but bar none, you gots to have some kind of education no matter where you get it. (the Dominican Republic was my schooling of sorts. Learned a second language, and all kinds of job skills)

I'm the youngest of 3 boys,and the only drop out in my family, but both my brothers are not able to support themselves while i can hold down corporate positions. :???:

All in all, I llove my life, and the shit I've done. It's the US Gov that fuckin pisses me off for makin me play a game I'd rather not.

I think I'm just rambling on anymore, and have lost my point. fuck.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

[quote="Son_Gokou]This reminds me of a question I had to ask: Sure, you can drop out of high school and all....but getting a job has some requirements, like diplomas and all that crap. So, how can dropping out let you get a GOOD job?[/quote]

it can happen in a short time occasionally. a while back i was cooking in a cafe by day and dj'ing in a coctail bar some evenings. i was made redundant at the cafe one day and basically stuffed. while mixing at the bar i met a guy that was a semillier (wine dude) for one of melbourne's top restaurants. i mentioned to him that i was in hospitality and needing some work quick and gave him my number.
midnight, next day my phone rings. he tells me they need someone to do a dishes shift next day starting at 9 am. so i says no sweats and head down.
turns into a permanent position and i'm there most days scrubbing pots floors and toilets till my fingernails disappear! i'm getting to know the crew and they like me and i tell the sous chef (eyes and ears of a kitchen) that i cook and would love the opportunity to be part of the team. word spreads, and i enjoy my work as tough as it is and do quality work and one day the head chef (kitchen big kahuna) says "i want a word with you" and invites me in to be a chef. my back ground is cakes and pastry but i also wanted to learn more about savoury foods too so i wind up being chef of every section!
so from djing in a bar i wind up 6 months later being the pastry chef in one of the best restaurants in town! and i wouldn't know what the inside of a chef's school looks like! not once was i asked for a resume, my attitude got me in and my enthusiasm kept me there. quite often it's who you know that gets you the job, but it's what you know that keeps you there. don't dwell heavily on what you've done in the past when applying for jobs, tell prospective employers what you've learned in the past that applies to the job in question.
i used to be cool
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Well since everyone is talking about their background, I go ahead an tell you mine, 'cause it kinda embarrasses me.

All through grade school, I just slid by, Bs and Cs, but my teachers were always on my butt to do more, because they knew I had the potential.

When I got in High School, they put me in all advanced classes, which it seemed to me was teaching me exactly what my friends were learning in their classes, except I had a bigger pile of homework. So I refused to do it.

The teachers of A level classes weren't used to this kind of behavior, so they sent me to the school shrink. He labeled me SEH (Seriously Emotionally Handicapped), and put me in C level classes, so I had to ride the short bus to school, with the handicapped people, no joke. For a shy awkward teen, this did nothing but harm to my self esteem, so I began a heavy routine of drug use. By the end of my freshman year i had been kicked out, because I had overdosed in the middle of class.

I spent the next couple years being sent off to special schools, until my Senior year when they finaly let me back in. Just to smack them in the face, I continued my heavy drug use, did whatever the hell I wanted, and made the honor role all four semesters.

Since my dad was a disabled vet I was supposed to go to college on them, but as soon as I applied for the finacial aid, they decided to re-evaluate my dad's disability. He was permenent 80% disabled, with temporay 100% benefits, after the evaluation, the determined that he was 75% disabled, with a tempory 100%, that downgrade was just enough to disqualify my college education. I tried to go to college and work to pay for it, but I don't learn well in schools. It's too linear, I have to skip around where my interest take me, and honestly I'm lazy, and it was too much for me.

So I've spent the last 12 years working at Pizza Hut. I only stayed there because the flexible hours allowed me plenty of time to experiment with my art and music. I learned alot on my own, but none of that means shit without a degree.

I was fine with barely scrapeing by, as long as I had a roof, cigarettes, and my guitar I had all needed. then I had a kid, which I never intended to do, but he's here, and I feel bad now that the choices I made are going to effect his life. I want everything to be available to him, but I just can't figure out how to get out of my situation. So I've escaped to micro RCs, but in the back of my head i know I need to be doing something else. it's just that i can't quite kill the dream of being an artist, and settle for being a janitor, because at least they have good benefits.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
noxorc
bitPimp

Post by noxorc »

word.

-nox

you homies write way too much. (crazyD, I expect.)

I agree with you Superfly....as I have a sibling the same way.

Free, no taxes.....easy life........the family worry.

CD, Long live Pizza Hut!.
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

I spent the last 10 years valeting cars in a super busy hospital garage and hating it. It all came to a boiling point in January, And I could take it no more... my ride came to an end on February 20th, and since then I've been using my savings and tax return to support my family. I have some good leads on things I could do to pay the bills, but I don't want to jump into another job that I will end up hating for years. I am a high school graduate, and never even considered college. I am a student of life, just studying any and everything that catches my interest, and picking up all kinds of useful knowledge and worthless trivia along the way. I am confident that whatever I end up doing in the coming days, I am versatile enough(MacGyver, baby :-) ), and have a good enough attitude to excel.

I have promised myself and the people who depend on me that we WILL be better off this time next year, and I am a man of my word.

Superfly, how do you know that your brother had more fun in life? Is he into bits, too?

Payaso, I am also the youngest of 3 boys(raised by a single father), and just wanted to say that the middle bro of the 3 is the only one not to finish school, but also the only one with a degree.

My lady never graduated high school, and has an associates in graphic design that she can't do anything with in this area, as everyone is looking for experience. She does some freelance stuff here and there, and waaaaay too much free stuff for friends and family.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

uh oh. im scared. shoot me.

LiL_Mike
bitHood

Post by LiL_Mike »

God i want to just fucking level Fullujah with Arty & bombs. Or better yet shove a grenade up Bush's Ass

Only in america are our leaders named Dick, Bush, and Colin
Mike's Bit o' Philosophy:
nice.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

LiL_Mike wrote:Only in america are our leaders named Dick, Bush, and Colin
har har! :-D well spotted!
i used to be cool
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

Charlie, to answer your question man. Yes, I was/am good at maths and physics and all that sciency shit and I knew a couple of years before I finished school what I wanted to do at uni and where I wanted to go.

I ended up doing Electrical Eng at uni and got my degree. But my techo pasion is IT and now I manage a large computer network, and as hog said, I'm also the "goto" guy....

I feel meek 'cause my upbringing seemed alot smoother than what pimps are saying here. But hey, eveyone has their own predicament and you make do what you can.....

If I had a chance to do it all over again I would STILL to the Elec Eng degree because that shit just facinates me and I love the skills that degree taught me. Not just the pure techo stuff but analytical skills, problem solving skills, the ability to break something down to it's lowest level and analyse/improve it...These skills transcend the immediate electronics stuff and become something that you use in everyday life....

amen to that.........

ph2t.
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

SOUNDS LIKE INCOME TAX TIME TO ME ! :?
jmays
bitGangsta'

lifes up and downs

Post by jmays »

Hi pimps, you really dont have to worry about what others or society lables you as, just do what u like and try to do the right thing. I never finished high school, i drop out in the 12th grade after finding out that i need to go another year to have the credits needed, and haveing an 800 cash a week job waiting for me i opt for the job and got a ged but lacked a few points in passing that sucka, so whatever i never had a job that wanted to see a diploma anyways. I have always been a hands on type of guy and been blessed that I have hands that allow me to do anything , i have always been into food and beverage, cooking for pizza joint and such then one day at a resturant a chef asked me if i would rather be a sous chef of a pstry chef and i could not answere, and he gave me his point of view, in an kitchen you have alot of chefs, exec. chef assistant chef sous chef ect. ect. and in a bakery you have only when a pastry chef and they are hard to find, this sounded good to me and i have done pastries in the past, so i stayed in a bakery, now 6 years later i have been able to work with pastry chefs from all over and have picked up hella stuff like pulling sugar and chocolate molding, ect ect ect and am now just a step down from being a pastry chef with an 80 k a year salary, the thing that really gets me sometimes is that i have seen kids come from the cia culinary institute of america with a heads up but no real hands on stuff, just book work. but they are recognized faster than i. The kicker is that they will ask me about things concerning the job like how do you make a rose out of plastic chocolate and what the technique, see only hands on will show u that stuff not schooling and the 30k degree. just do what you like and do it well thats my thought. and live simple. life is hard enough without haveing to strees on lives pressures, be proud of your self and you acomplishments. and strive for more.

jeff mays
LiL_Mike
bitHood

Post by LiL_Mike »

betty.k wrote:
LiL_Mike wrote:Only in america are our leaders named Dick, Bush, and Colin
har har! :-D well spotted!
Tnx man, i got a million of 'em
Mike's Bit o' Philosophy:
nice.
noxorc
bitPimp

Post by noxorc »

come from over 37 years worth of time in the state of Massachusetts.

do not vote for John F'in Kerry.

Even if you hate bush, Kerry is not the answer.

I don't know who...but I do know, who not.

-nox
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

Don't worry pimps, I'll run fo prez. They'll be free 40's fo thugs an free smokes for pimps!

Whose gonna throw me a vote?