Anybody seen XXaps?

Get the latest and greatest scoops on what's going on in the world around you, find out what's hot and what's not fo' sho!
Sdog
bitPimp

Post by Sdog »

Yakboy...

I am assuming the cars are available for purchase in the UK since you have two of them?

Can you elaborate a little more on a few things?

You stated that the way you can select your frequency is genius. Can you explain this a little further. BTW...you can also select among 6 frequencies with the ZZ SE.

You also stated that you understand why they designed the controller the way they did...to take advantage of the proportional aspects of driving. What do you mean by that?

BTW....you wouldn't happen to be Zydio on TinyRC would you?

Bonzer....I'm not sure I'm following you. Do you mean these cars should be run on a longer, more technical course to appreciate the greater control they present...or a they require a wider track?
BOURBON TIME OUT!
yakboy
bitPlaya'

Post by yakboy »

Hi Sdog,

Firstly This is the only micro RC forum I've posted on I don't have any alias's!! (there's only one yakboy :smile: !! Thank god)

To select frequency on the controller you turn a dial to one of eight positions. To select the frequency on the car you turn it on, then in the first one & half seconds you push the frequency control button the corresponding number of times ie 2 pushes for channel 2. A small LED on the chassis then flashes the corresponding no of times (ie twice in his case) & your ready to go.

As I've only ever driven bits & not other types of RC's I'm only used to super bit controllers but the metl tech controllers are obviousley different. Because the steering & speed is proportional the controller must be able to make use of this (ie not simple push buttons but spring loaded that can be moved variable amounts) I suppose wheels & triggers and joystick's have a similar effect on other proportional RC's but as I've never driven these I can't comment. The controller is small & neat but is taking some getting used to wether I end up liking it is another matter, Metl Tech I feel should produce a larger more conventional controller for racing enthusiasts but they have to start some where.

I think what team bonzer means re tracks that these cars have the potential to be race on larger tracks where bit's couldn't. Range is long & to give them a real work out a larger track would be needed. I've run mine on my bit track (which is narrow in place & has plenty of tight turns) without problems although not under as much control as my bits (again just a case of getting used to the controller).

The cars won't be avaliable in europe for a good while yet but I'm lucky to have a friend like team bonzer (a true gent) who graciously obtained me a couple of samples 'cos I begged him.

Also not being completely bit literate yet what the hell does BTW mean ??
TeamBonzer
trackPimp

Post by TeamBonzer »

BTW - By The Way :-)

I guess that what I am trying to say (badly) about steering and performance is that a simple bit with enough power can be tapped arround most courses easily, very simple on/off left/right all at the tap of a button - its like when I first got the ZZ SE's, proportional sounds great, but on most tracks you end up with the throttle to the stop all the time and the wheel flying from full lock to full lock - ie you dont really make use of the proportionality - and as you are twisting a wheel and pulling/pushing a trigger it actualy takes more time to control them. However, on a large (very large) open track I can imagine that the availability of proportional steering and speed could allow you to pick the right line etc and get some advantage from the technology (but I am not sure). I have always had a sneaky feeling that at this scale and with the speeds involved a simple tap button L/R Forward/reverse fast bit or ZZ will beat a propo car of equivalent top speed.

As for the controler Ken at XXAp has gone for, I have to be honest and say it wouldn't have been my choice if I wanted to attract "racers" (for gadget freaks it is perfect - small, compact, tactile, dense - slippery and slidy :???: ). Although the centering springs are quite strong it still feels very strange to be sliding the controls up and down/left and right. Wheel and trigger works much better for me.

Cheers

TB
BonzerGear - Scream for more
Race for Real - not in slots
Stuck in a rut? Break free with Bonzer Racing
www.bonzerracing.com
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

Well I must say, these things seem interesting, but untill I see a review from someone who I know and trust (no offence Yak, but no matter what you say, all I can be sure of is you registered a couple of days ago) Time will tell Bonzer. Even as cool as these things seem, the price and diecast bodies will make em a tuff sale. As for the remote..... I don't know what they were thinking, I guess they were going all out for that revolutionary innovention type thinking. Personally, if it aint broke.....
Suck My Bits
:twisted:©2005 Finks fucked your girlfriend in highschool inc
TeamBonzer
trackPimp

Post by TeamBonzer »

Hi there Finks.

Yakboy is very new to micro R/C (hope you dont mind me saying that dude). He has not experienced ZZ SE's and the multitude of bits/clones - very little to choose from in the UK :sad: , but his enthusiasm and comments are genuine. I think his comments are particularly enlightening when you consider that he is not an old hand at this game and has only experienced domes/TE perfections and super BCG - I tend to think that his response will be typical of the "average punter". The reason that I know all this is because Yakboy has bought a couple of tracks off me in the last few weeks - no conspiracy theories please :cowboy:

However, I have a lot more experience of micro R/C and have a large (too large my woman would say) collection of 1/64th cars (no keyance I must admit), and nothing compares to these. This doesn't mean that I am the greatest fan of metl-tech, just that I know that these are in a league of their own. From what I have read it seems that the informed posters (not that I would ever suggest that you are not informed) believe that there will be a strong market for these as long as they produce the different shells and add-ons.

In my opinion the die cast aspect is a massive plus rather than negative (as you seem to suggest). The detail is brilliant (body detail and paintwork).

BUT - it is a different market completely to the wal mart/ job lots $5 clones.

I also feel a little guilty that I have only posted a limited review without good quality video. As soon as I can I will (but I have run out of space on my PC and need to get a new HD - anyone who makes vids knows the amount of space they take up!)

Oh and just in case anyone thinks I have a vested interest - I don't. I am just really pleased that I got one of these (and 2 more for YakBoy) before anyone else :-D , it will be kept safe and sound, because I strongly suspect that once launched they will become a collectors classic.

Also, as I alluded to in earlier posts, I don't think they will ever compete successfully in a race against bits/zz with similar top speeds. If you wanted to create a formula that required a lot of skill, then these would be ideal (assuming a different TX was used).

If you haven't already done so, check out the pictures that the Germans have got at http://549.rapidforum.com/topic=100479875803
I am sure that you know that these guys know what they are talking about.

Cheers

TB

But I guess the bottom line is that as you say, only time will tell :-)
www.bonzerracing.com
yakboy
bitPlaya'

Post by yakboy »

Finks,

Your a very mistrusting lot on bitpimps aren't you !! ( but I suppose you get all sorts of posters with aulteriour motives so it's probabley well founded)

I've only just registered as this is the first time I've had anything constructive to say & contribute to the forum, and if I ain't got anything constructive to say I don't post

Bonzer's right to say that I'm a bit new to the micro r/c scene but I've taken to it in a big way (wait until you see the track I've constructed). I don't tend to do things by halves.

My thoughts on the metl tech racers are based on my limited experience of micro r/c's but hopefully is objective without any axe to grind or preconcieved notions of more experienced users.

The best review any one can give is there own and no amount of other peoples words, video or pictures can do that. I believe some will love them, some won't be so keen (the controller issue is the major stumbling block, but I'm trying to keep an open mind until I've had a bit more practice).

But what's this prejudice against die-cast bodies, is it that they are harder to mod?? :???: Don't write these things off just yet.

Yakboy
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

Yeah it's that and weight 1st and formost. I dunno, if these suckers where built w/ hefting a heavy shell then it may be all good.

As for my distrust, I can assure you it has nothing to do with you guys, but more so to deal w/ other pushers of the past. As I saw it I thought Bonzer was advertizing these to us due to his intention to sell them once readily available. I have only respect for Bonzer don't get me wrong, but I myself am a salesman, have been for many years and know what people will say to get thier product moving. Basically point being, I will consider these only once a pimp I trust (which is quite a few) drop thier review. Bonzer is a great guy, but as his post count will show, pretty much only contributes at Bit Pimps about his companies ongoings.

In closeing, please don't miss read any of this as hostile, I am not trying to turn this into a Panther Chariot fiasco. Just voicing my opinion and what I feel reflects other Pimps here. I am excited about these rides, just gunshy is all. :cool:
Suck My Bits
stampede_dude
bitNinja

Post by stampede_dude »

i think that anyone that buys one of these rides will be afraid to touch it for two reasons-

1-it looks too good

2-(most of all) it costs a little much!

im not downing them or anything, from what ive seen they are very high quality, but i kinda see one of those nkok diecasat bodied cars in it...do you guys?
TeamBonzer
trackPimp

Post by TeamBonzer »

Finks wrote:In closeing, please don't miss read any of this as hostile, I am not trying to turn this into a Panther Chariot fiasco. Just voicing my opinion and what I feel reflects other Pimps here. I am excited about these rides, just gunshy is all. :cool:
No worries dude. BTW what was the panther chariot fiasco?. I have a couple of those cars - very fast - claimed propo but not.
www.bonzerracing.com
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

TeamBonzer wrote: claimed propo but not.
there's your answer in a nutshell! :-)
i used to be cool
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Speaking of Panther Chariots...where can I pick one up? :???:

for under 35 fuckin' dollars
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

sg219 wrote:for under 35 fuckin' dollars
Good luck :-)
Suck My Bits
Sdog
bitPimp

Post by Sdog »

Are those panthers even still around?
BOURBON TIME OUT!
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

It's easy... just take a ZZ, dual it, drop in a booster bit pcb... voila!! instant Panther Chariot!

OK well it don't have the cool pistol tx, but it's pretty much the equivalent, and a LOT cheaper!
TeamBonzer
trackPimp

Post by TeamBonzer »

sg219 wrote:for under 35 fuckin' dollars
Hi I got my 2 direct from the factory (for free), just had to pay the fedex charge. They were quoting $4.50 USD for wholesale orders, which aint too bad at all.

Cheers

TB
www.bonzerracing.com