Custom diecast job

Want to talk about micro boats or micro planes? How about trains, slot cars or submarines? Well you can do it all right here. If it's another hobby and it doesn't fit in one of our other forums, then it goes here.
taurus

Custom diecast job

Post by taurus »

Does anyone know where I can get a custom diecast car made? I need a scale model of a early 1990's Ford Taurus in green (a Mercury Sable would do), but can't find any made.
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

I have no clue.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Yeah, I think that's going to be rough. Maybe if you find a similar car and molded the different parts in clay...then cast it. But I have no idea of where you'd even begin. Let do some research, I've owned a few Tauruses and I wouldn't mind having one either. If I find anything I'll let you know.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
v137a
bitHood

Post by v137a »

Possibly important question: What scale?

For example, here's one in plastic that could be used for a mold:
http://store.aaaplustrains4u.com/150-1272.html
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I know of two 1/24 Scale plastic models of the second-gen Taurus.

If you're wanting like 1/16 or 1/64 scale diecast, good luck on your quest.

More than likely, you're going to resort to the Nascar stuff, but as I don't care about it at all, I don't know when they went from the MN-12 Thunderbird to whichever generation Taurus it was by then.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Hey Frizzen, who made a second gen 1/24 scale? I actually might be interested in tracking one down.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Ok I dug out the one I built a long time ago, and....

AMT/MPC had a 1990 Taurus SHO. Good detail, nice fit & finish, chrome 3.0L Yamaha...
Mine.

*(Edit: Uh, that's some nice blurriness, um, -insert excuse here-)*

And there was also another out around that time that was the set up as the RoboCop police car. (Yes, he drove a Taurus instead of a Panther-chassis like the real cops)
-
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I'm sorry, I can't resist... Is that a statement on the Ford name that it appears to be getting a roadside repair? :lol:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Thanks, I'll have to see if I can find a Robo Cop version since I was thinking cop car anyway; we had a lot of of Taurus cop cars around here...until they figured out that the front drive couldn't take the beating of donut crumb covered cops driving over curbs.

BTW Dave, I don't think that's so much of a road side repair as it is manslaughter since the upper torso seems to have been shredded off of the victim's legs. :-) Huh? I just noticed, you can't have "manslaughter" without "laughter." :smile:
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Yeah CD, I built that a REALLY long time ago, and the idea was kinda based on a Mercury Zephyer that my parents had bought new in the late 70's which had all the quality of a domestic late 70's small car. All I ever heard them say about it was bitching or camplaining. Things like how the driveshaft fell off while driving on the highway, how the company had obsoleted and discontiued many parts for it within a couple years of building it, how the transmision blew up... At the time I hadn't known that by about '82 Fords quality and engineering was all straightened out.
Besides, how better to show off a nice chrome engine on a model?

Several years later, I get a fox chassis Thunderbird. Then next thing I know my family has converted their fleet from imports (Mitsubishis, Hyundai...) to almost exclusively Ford (that Hyundai, Aerostar, Taurus, Tempo, my Bird).

I hadn't seen any Cop Tauruses, I'd heard that a few were put in service, but not around here.

I'd always wanted to make a really good vehicular manslaughter model scene, or an airplane crash, but could never find the right bodies...
-
vwmicrosizer
bitGimp

Re: Custom diecast job

Post by vwmicrosizer »

try some diecast hotwheels cars. i know nascar uses for tauruses.
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Re: Custom diecast job

Post by PimpFloyd »

Does it need to be a diecast?

If plastic will do, search HO scale slot car bodies on the Bay!