Nitro Boat Restoration

Want to talk about micro boats or micro planes? How about trains, slot cars or submarines? Well you can do it all right here. If it's another hobby and it doesn't fit in one of our other forums, then it goes here.
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Nitro Boat Restoration

Post by civicsr2cool »

I recently brought back home a boat I acquired along time ago during a trade while on leave. I don't know much about r/c boating and I damn sure know nothing about Nitros. So if any of you Pimps wanna lend a hand in helping me make this thing scoot across some water I would sure appreciate it :-o

The guy I got it from gave me a traxxas vee boat as well as this one, I test drove the vee a few times and since I really hate running nitro r/c's to the shelf both of these boats went.. He told me that this one was a handful and to not run it until i was used to the vee first. So I am hoping I am not in over my head!

This is the boat, no markings besides the decals so I really cant tell the brand or model. I can tell though that it has very little use and has a nice paint job :grin:
This is the powerplant a K&B 3.5 outboard. I have heard its a damn good engine and I am currently tearing it down to polish everything up.
Under the hood it was nasty. I tore out the old electronics and put in my airtronics gear, the steering and throttle seem to be setup good but the appearance of them I think is ugly as hell.
I am hoping that these little things are a failsafe and that it doesn't regularly fill with water to that high..
This pic shows the engine mount, not much to see but it is a strong looking setup.
This is where i need your help, the cabin. I need to make a plate to cover the electronics, could possibly just use a pop bottle or something similar with screw on the corners to hold it on. It appears it had a cover before but no sealant is left so I would need maybe foam or a silicon gasket?
Second the front tip of the boat is left open, I don't know if a wave or anything could catch the front of it or whatever but i think that the hood should need a plate under it to keep the the water out and the hood on in case of a nose dive in the water?

Should be a good fun project and I hope to learn alot about nitros on the way because I have always HATED nitros! I could never get them to be as consistent and reliable as electric. :-?
[]D [] []V[] []D
sidewinder
bitProphet

Re: Nitro Boat Restoration

Post by sidewinder »

I don't know about sealing the esc but Traxxas has a waterproof box for the receiver on it's XL5 models...I think it's supposed to be totally sealed, and I've seen them on ebay for under $10. You might want to look for some reviews but I'm pretty sure they're watertight.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Re: Nitro Boat Restoration

Post by civicsr2cool »

As for sealing the electronics in, just a plate over them should work great since I looked a little closer last night and noticed the entire front is indeed sealed with clear silicon inside that hatch for the electronics. So all I need to make is a top cover for it, I will probably use some scrap metal from work.

I was also thinking yesterday about my electronics setup. I forgot to include a failsafe in the setup. I like the look of the venom, it has a temperature failsafe along with the voltage. But reviews say it sucks. I hear OFNA makes a very reliable one so I will probably go with the OFNA.

Also the only TX that I have is my pistol type for my rc18. Its an Airtronics mx3s at 75mhz fm. I am pretty sure in saying that its safe to use for boat use, but would there be problems in that setup I don't know about?
[]D [] []V[] []D