SuperSlick 4WD is here!!!!

Want to talk about micro boats or micro planes? How about trains, slot cars or submarines? Well you can do it all right here. If it's another hobby and it doesn't fit in one of our other forums, then it goes here.
stagg
bitGangsta'

Post by stagg »

Can we see some pictures of it articulating? Are you thinking of Tricelling it? May make at way faster.

Also, what are the runtimes you are getting.
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Post by viperdout »

Another Update (just doing this to get the emails sent out): no front diff, but rather the things that hook in slip! Ok, that's crap, but upon taking apart the truck, I found IT HAS A BALL DIFF IN THE CENTER!!! It uses 4 balls pressed into place by a spring. It's too bad it slips like it does, otherwise it'd be fucking awesome. Sadly, it sucks, and I have no super glue. I'll put it back together and be done with it tonight. On a good note, this thing has enough room to squeeze an HS55 into, and it'll be a snap to hook up, since you can stick the servo arm on the outside.

Edit: I've run it 20 minutes without finishing out a charge. I'll have pics tomorrow of the diff. It's amazingly easy to work on.
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Post by viperdout »

Well, locked the diff and discovered the crappy setup on the front axles is cracked, causing slip. time for YET ANOTHER teardown. Anyway, here are pics:

For reference, that aftermarket servo is BIGGER than an HS55!!!

Enough pics for now...
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

Personally I feel the SSMTs look dumb. Totally unrealistic, and you know me, that's what gets me off. Personally won't bother w/ this one.
Suck My Bits
:twisted:©2005 Finks fucked your girlfriend in highschool inc
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Finks wrote:Personally I feel the SSMTs look dumb. Totally unrealistic, and you know me, that's what gets me off. Personally won't bother w/ this one.
Well you know looks can be changed, but mechanical shit can be a bitch to engineer and produce, so there is quite a bit of value here, but I agree, it looks goofy.

It's gonna take some work, but I think I can make good use of one.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
HirotoR34
bitPimp

Post by HirotoR34 »

Oh yeah, major goofy, but I'll still buy one for the parts alone. A larger wheel mod and a better body would help make it look less stupid. I just saw the new WRX Xmod at RS, so I'll hold off on this for a while. Priorities........ :cool:
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Post by viperdout »

HirotoR34 wrote:Oh yeah, major goofy, but I'll still buy one for the parts alone. A larger wheel mod and a better body would help make it look less stupid. I just saw the new WRX Xmod at RS, so I'll hold off on this for a while. Priorities........ :cool:
Not worth it for parts: wheels are the same size as the ZZMT. I put some huge tires on it and it looked great, but it rubbed like crazy. I just ordered IW04 electronics for it, and will be buying an HS55 to drop in.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Well I got mine, and I gotta say, it's crap.

The damn center diff slipped so much that the thing wouldn't even go over the slightest obstacle, then about one minute into my first run, the front wheels stopped turning. I had to tear the damn thing down, and I hadn't even run it one minute. After fiddling with the diff, I found it was too damn cheap to ever get working like a diff, and all it does is slip, so I stretched out the spring to give it more tension. Now the car actually drives the wheels, but makes 4 foot wide turns.

It is slow as hell, it might be powerful, but I don't know, because it can't get the power to the ground, and since there's no hop up motors or anything available for it, there's no way to get an immediate speed fix.

I also hate that the body has to be removed to access the charge jack and on/off switch.

I have to say, in my honest opinion, you'd do best by passing on these altogether.
crazydave's Gallery
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Post by viperdout »

crazydave wrote:Well I got mine, and I gotta say, it's crap.

The damn center diff slipped so much that the thing wouldn't even go over the slightest obstacle, then about one minute into my first run, the front wheels stopped turning. I had to tear the damn thing down, and I hadn't even run it one minute. After fiddling with the diff, I found it was too damn cheap to ever get working like a diff, and all it does is slip, so I stretched out the spring to give it more tension. Now the car actually drives the wheels, but makes 4 foot wide turns.

It is slow as hell, it might be powerful, but I don't know, because it can't get the power to the ground, and since there's no hop up motors or anything available for it, there's no way to get an immediate speed fix.

I also hate that the body has to be removed to access the charge jack and on/off switch.

I have to say, in my honest opinion, you'd do best by passing on these altogether.
Dave, just drip tire glue into the diff and let it dry. It's perfect driving after that. Also, it is amazingly easy to drop an HS55 into.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I dropped some glue in my diff and it did make a difference.

Right now, the whole truck is apart and I'm trying to stretch it some so that a different body, and wheels, will look good on it, and so that it will be slightly lower to the ground.

Your right, this mechanical shit is a pain in the ass. :lol:
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

But doesn't that make wide ass turns with the diff locked? I got it really tight right now, it's nearly locked, and it's literally taking 4-5 feet to turn around.

Maybe I got a defect?

At any rate there's still the issue with the wheels that go wobbly every time you bump them. Am I the only one that thinks that this car needs too much work to be fun? I like my cars to be at least a little fun out of the package. (Besides sitting around squishing over sized shocks.)

Seriously, I don't want to get mod happy with it, because I'm right about to go get my money back.
crazydave's Gallery
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Post by viperdout »

crazydave wrote:But doesn't that make wide ass turns with the diff locked? I got it really tight right now, it's nearly locked, and it's literally taking 4-5 feet to turn around.

Maybe I got a defect?

At any rate there's still the issue with the wheels that go wobbly every time you bump them. Am I the only one that thinks that this car needs too much work to be fun? I like my cars to be at least a little fun out of the package. (Besides sitting around squishing over sized shocks.)

Seriously, I don't want to get mod happy with it, because I'm right about to go get my money back.
4-5 feet is a bit excessive. Besides, locking the center diff does jack shit either way to the turning radius. Whether it's locked or not, the front 2 wheels do not spin at different speeds.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

crazydave wrote:Am I the only one that thinks that this car needs too much work to be fun? I like my cars to be at least a little fun out of the package. (Besides sitting around squishing over sized shocks.)

Seriously, I don't want to get mod happy with it, because......
I agree. This truck does need a lot of attention. The wheels are stupidly set-up, to say the least. The diff doesn't function properly. You have to remove the body to turn it on. You have to remove the body to charge it. No motor upgrades. No upgrades, period.

But, yes there are squishy shocks. :lol:

All of that is the reason mine is broke down on my workdesk. I'm not ecactly sure if it will come out alive or not, but I am having fun expearimenting with it and its parts. :idea: :search: :gives:

Unless something comes along and saves these trucks, you won't see them around much longer. :???:
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

viperdout wrote:4-5 feet is a bit excessive. Besides, locking the center diff does jack shit either way to the turning radius. Whether it's locked or not, the front 2 wheels do not spin at different speeds.
You got a point about the front wheels turning at the same speed, but I'm figuring there must be something with the front front to back differential effect, because it turned fine before.

@SG, you got a point about the experimentation, and fun new parts to play with. That was my angle when I bought it, but I expect my toys to work in the first place. Even dollar store crap usually works to begin with.
crazydave's Gallery
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Yep, even $ store stuff tends to work OK. :lol:

Right now I'm trying to strech mine out a bit. (I have a cool body that would look pretty cool on it if this works.) I just can't figure out how to mount shocks and braces on the axles. Mounting them to the body is no problem, but on the alxes, there is no room. There are the original mounts, but I want to use stock, rear, Mini-T, shocks for the front and back. I need the extra length.

Maybe if I add to the axle housing somehow? :???: