Decision and Direction for Defunct Digi-Qs

Want to talk about micro boats or micro planes? How about trains, slot cars or submarines? Well you can do it all right here. If it's another hobby and it doesn't fit in one of our other forums, then it goes here.
MotorGong
bitNinja

Decision and Direction for Defunct Digi-Qs

Post by MotorGong »

I got this off of E-Bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT

Well, it arrived DOA. The controller activates, but the charge light doesn't come on. I talked to the guy, and he sent me out ANOTHER car and controller at no cost.. Well, guess what?
DOfrickinA. This time the charge light came on, went off after approx. 10min, and then nothing. I even tried mixing and matching cars and controllers, etc. :sad: :(
I talked to the guy again, and he answers that another customer had the same problem.
He apologizes, refunds all my money, and says keep the cars and controllers.
Cool, but at the same time, not. I'm back where I started financially with 2 dud Digi-Qs.
Any ideas? Direction? I don't know the first thing about these micros. Advice?

:smile: I'll cover shipping both ways, labor, and supply batts :smile: j/k

Maybe Hue was right. For me, at this point in time, it's quite feasible that Digi-Qs 'suck poop, straight from a butthole'. :grin:
Last edited by MotorGong on Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
hue35
bitPimp

Re: Decision and Direction for Defunct Digi-Qs

Post by hue35 »

MotorGong wrote:Maybe Hue was right. For me, at this point in time, it's quite feasible that Digi-Qs 'suck poop, straight from a butthole'. :grin:
Yep, straight from the butthole... if sucking poop is what you're looking for, then the Digi-Q is a solid choice.
MotorGong
bitNinja

Re: Decision and Direction for Defunct Digi-Qs

Post by MotorGong »

hue35 wrote:Yep, straight from the butthole... if sucking poop is what you're looking for, then the Digi-Q is a solid choice.
Yeah, I think the verdict is in on these Digi-Qs around here. 33 views and only one poop-suckin' answer :lol:

Where's that Hulk guy, Namuna! He lika da penny racers. Help, oh wise one....
BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I have one. Never driven it. It may be fun. I got it for $10 off of Ebay. I had to have one in the collection. One day when I get some playtime, I'll drive it and several other rides.
filelicker
bitNinja

Post by filelicker »

I got one off of ebay a while back and it was messed up to , no front axle , wouldn't charge. I took it apart and checked it out and put it back together and on the third try it started to charge , it took a few days of charging and discharging to get any good time out of the battery.I still dont have any front wheels for it and the pull backs are a totally different setup .
People are like slinkies..... they are the most fun when you push them down stairs.
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

Well at least he refunded your monies!

I got a set of Laser Tanks off eBay that were a peice of shit. The seller wouldn't give refund, he did post, in a very inconspicuous place that all sales are final which I believe he knew they were shit in the 1st place. I had it out with him but to no avail. Contacted others that bought from him and they all had they same issue. I think the batteries have expired and need replacing. I haven't had time to do shit so this will be shelved with other shit until I can get to it.... :-(
MotorGong
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

You guys called that one. The e-mail from the seller:
Hi Dave,
Sorry for late reply!
I think is the car battery itself is dead.
one customer email me have the same problems.

What I will do is refund you the money.
Sorry for what have happened!
Terry
and
Hi Dave,
Thank you for your help!
Please let me know if you find out how to fix it.
I think may be the car battery itself is been too old and don't accept charge.
If that can be replace. then will be be great. I refund you the money now.
Thanks!
Terry
Thanks for the help. BTW, this transaction could have easily turned into one of those 'E-Bay nightmares'. But this seller was just SUPERB.
He sells under akitoys on E-Bay, and owns Akihabara Toys Co. Ltd.
He could have easily said, "sorry, goodbye!"
BattleField 2 Stats
micro_man
bitPlaya'

Post by micro_man »

my digi q used to do the same thing . i was told to leave the car and controler on for 30 minutes and that wold clear the memory form the car and tx leting the car charge agin (worked every time), as long as you didnt use rechargable batteries in the controler (kills both the car and controler) .
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Sorry for jumping in late here (been on vacation for the week).

Hue says they suck human puddin, I say they're a throwback to the 80's Penny Racers and if yur old enough to remember the Penny Racers (and maybe you even liked/collected them)...Then the DigiQ is a cool thing.

But automatically assuming all DigiQ's suck because you got 2 duds from some guy off eBay...?

I see them 2 kits being dead for 1 of 2 reasons; 1. They ain't actually brand new like the guy says in the auction and were used until the internal car battery died of use. Or 2. They were on the shelf, brand new, since the day they were made and the shelf life of the battery expired.

Considering the excellent result you got from the guy, I'd say #2 was what happened...And in that case I would suggest the same thing micro_man suggests; put the car through several charge cycles. If the car doesn't take a charge at all? Well, you could try a few rounds of putting it on/off the charger. If all else fails, you've got some interesting parts to play with.

Here's my suggestion about the Micro R/C cars:
- If you're old enough to have enjoyed the Penny Racers, check out the DigiQ. These things ARE fun if you've got extremely limited play space (like coffee table only)
- If you're just in the market for a micro sized R/C car with proportional control, a great choice is Radio Shack's ZipZaps SE cars (especially the newer generation kits)
- If you're looking for pure fun, tiny package, run basically anywhere R/C? Then the Radio Shack ZipZaps Monster Trucks is the way to go.
- Lastly, if it's more about the looks (but still plenty of fun to race around) The Bit-CharG (aka MicroSizers) is the way to go. The shells on Bits/MS cars are superior (in proportion and looks) to ZipZaps.

There you have it.
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

Namuna wrote:But automatically assuming all DigiQ's suck because you got 2 duds from some guy off eBay...?
Naw man, just havin' a little fun!! :lol:
Thanks alot for the advice! I'm on it, and I'll let ya guys know how it goes.
BattleField 2 Stats
MotorGong
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

Namuna wrote: Considering the excellent result you got from the guy, I'd say #2 was what happened...And in that case I would suggest the same thing micro_man suggests; put the car through several charge cycles. If the car doesn't take a charge at all? Well, you could try a few rounds of putting it on/off the charger. If all else fails, you've got some interesting parts to play with.
micro_man wrote:i was told to leave the car and controler on for 30 minutes and that wold clear the memory form the car and tx leting the car charge agin
Okay, I had to come back and re-read this. I'm a bit confused.
Do I turn the controller on WITHOUT the car on the charger for 30min?
Please excuse my ignorance if that's the case here.....
BattleField 2 Stats
micro_man
bitPlaya'

Post by micro_man »

turn on the controler and leave it on for at leat 30 minutes . dont put the car on there for the 30 minutes . that sould clear the memory in the controler , and sholud charge the car agin , uless rechargable batteries werer used in it that kills the charging circut .
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Hmmm, never heard about clearing the charging circuits in the controller before.

My understanding is that the battery IN THE CAR (1/4aaa size @ 80ma/h) has been sitting for so long, the voltage on them badboys are so low they won't take a proper charge.

If that's the case, then you've got to keep putting it on/off the charger; put the car on the charger for like a couple of minutes even if the charge light doesn't come on. Then take it off for a couple of minutes. Repeat until either you're tired from doing it or it finally starts charging.
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

Persistence pays off, but just slightly.
The car is charging now...at least the charge light on the controller comes on. Sometimes it comes on immediately, sometimes it can take up to 15-20 minutes. But when it finally starts charging, it charges till green, and the car feels slightly warm, but still nothin'.
And, I'm on my second set of 4 AAs. And, I totally lost track how many times I've done this. I'm still interested, so I'll go a bit more. The advice is working so far, though.
BattleField 2 Stats
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

If the car is getting warm then the batteries in the car should be taking a charge but they might just be to old and might need to be replaced.

have you openend the car up at all? check for any disconections, brown or black spots on the PCB? It also sounds like there might be a short or something in the controller if the light comes on sometimes and sometimes it does not then sounds like a short. Try charging the car then shaking the controller and see if the light blinks on or off while doing that it might mean there is a short. :???:

I have some batteries for the car if you want to try them just PM me and I will try and dig them up!
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics: