Fastlane 1/24th scale ('04 style)

Want to talk about micro boats or micro planes? How about trains, slot cars or submarines? Well you can do it all right here. If it's another hobby and it doesn't fit in one of our other forums, then it goes here.
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

coughtoomuchtimeonyourhandscough

Nice job :-o

Its o so temptimg me to pick one up and do something similar. Must resist more projects...............
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Here is a shot with the heat sink and the modified motor cover.

EDIT: I just took this little rocket out for a night test drive and its scary fast. Faster than my mini t was when it had 6 cells and this motor(of course, its lighter weight, geard differently, and has smaller tires but its 4 wheel drive) I have a problem getting it up to top speed simply because with the short wheel base its a little unstable. Regardless, Im having more fun than anyone should ever expect to have from a cheap $20 TRU car :eek:

WIth the heat sink i didnt notice any heat issues as of yet, (only time will tell) but so far its looking good.

I think next i need to do something about those stock shocks :???:

EDIT: I have now pushed this monster past its tollerances. Turns out the melting point of the gears is less than would be desired lol.

The red gear that you put in there( spins on a metal shaft) has melted around the shaft and then that fused to the black plastic of the chassis (oops) Aparently it wasnt designed to go quite that fast :???: IF anyone has a red gear they would be willing to give up i could really use it. Otherwise ill have to gear it down a little. Now in order to fix this thing im going to have to fabricate a metal gear mount and maybe use a metal gear from something else.

STG
Kokolo
bitPlaya'

Post by Kokolo »

Well the metal gear wold be the way to go so you might wanna try that and that is the most badass tru toy ive ever seen. Just got a question how much would it cost.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Lets add up what i have on there:

TRU 4X4 rc truck = $20
TRU street setup(gear, street tires, wheels) = $10
Team Orion Big Block motor = $30
Xray Heat sink = $10
Stock Mini T electronics = Spair parts?
associated rc18t stock battery pack = Spair parts?
Yellow Chevy body = spair parts?

Total = $70
Keep in mind, most of these parts were purchased for my other cars a while back and have since been upgraded and useless until now.

Getting a 1:26 scale TRU toy to smoke a mini t...Priceless

That should about cover it. I would have never paid for all of that just for this car but since i had all those extra parts laying around collecting dust it wasnt a big deal. Well worth every penny.

STG
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Hey, Sporttracdude, did you save the original steering gearbox when you installed that servo? I just knocked teeth off all three gears in mine, tried fixing it, its hopeless.

I just got my red gear, didn't even get to test it before I broke the steering, but I'm guessing the stock electrics will not pull it well, and I'd rather a working car, so I'd be more than happy trade my red gear for the steering gearbox you probably tossed aside. :-)
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

I have spair parts all over my desk, are these the three you are talking about?

If they are id certainly be up for a trade

STG
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Well, I got my front end back together, thanks to STG. What a bitch that was, 3 hours of dogbone falls out, motor pops out, wire breaks off. Mind numbing I tell ya.

Anyways, I have an interesting problem, and I'm in no hurry to take it apart again. It doesn't center, and all, unless the wheels are left, and I nudge it right.

Its got both a spring and a pot. Seems like maybe an adjustment to the pot, but from what I can tell, I can only turn it 180 degrees, and I'm not sure how that'll solve my problem. Or does someone think my spring may have come out of place?

Superfly, do your wheels center when the car is off and off the ground?
crazydave's Gallery
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Yeah, mine center. Did you possibly misalign the gears by a tooth or two? I haven't torn my front end apart yet so I don't know if that would make a difference or not.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

SuperFly wrote:Yeah, mine center. Did you possibly misalign the gears by a tooth or two? I haven't torn my front end apart yet so I don't know if that would make a difference or not.
Thanks Supe. That's the answer I was looking for. I believe either the spring is out of place, or there is binding. :-o

Not sure about that tooth thing... the gearbox gets full range of motion, and if you look at the pic of the gears, the part that steers and turns the pot is one piece, but I'll look into the possibility.

Has anybody taken the pins out of the suspension? The front end would be so much easier to work on if I could take it off, but I'm afraid the plastic will crack if I pound the pins out.
crazydave's Gallery