Code's New Toy

Want to talk about micro boats or micro planes? How about trains, slot cars or submarines? Well you can do it all right here. If it's another hobby and it doesn't fit in one of our other forums, then it goes here.
codesuidae
bitPlaya'

Code's New Toy

Post by codesuidae »

So I was at the hobby shop last night, watching these guys fly around some Flatana's and I thought they were pretty cool, but I decided I wanted something a little beefier. So I poked around, asked a few questions, and ended up with a Hanger9 P-51 Mustang PTS and all the extras (starter, fuel, pump, glow starter, etc) for about $480 :shock:. Its an early Christmas present, along with 2gb of ram for my laptop :D. Why wait for the holiday rush?:-o

Its a 40 size nitro, balsa construction low-wing fully aerobatic model with removable droops and speed brakes with a cheapie flight simulator that connects to the JR 5 channel remote via the trainer cord so noobs like myself can learn to fly it detuned.

Heres a place that sells it for 50 bucks more than it cost me:

http://www.ehobbies.com/han2825.html

There is a long-ass thread about it on RC Universe:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31020 ... ey_/tm.htm

I figure I'll practice with the simulator for a while, then go out to the local field and see if I can find someone to be a trainer for me. There are lots of rich bastards here in Omaha, so there's plenty of people that should be willing to give me a bit of instruction.

The software that comes with it is called 'Cockpit Master', and its pretty much a piece of shit, $30 retail. Hopefully it will get the job done.

Anyway, lookin forward to screwing with it, and hoping I won't be drafting too many of its parts for reconstruction on the mill :-D
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

Cool I know you will love Gas planes I bought a few gas planes in fact I have a trainer 40 on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

I hope I can sell it becuse I want a .80 motor for my larger plane. I am also selling a twin motor DC-3 that is electric I have no time to put it together and its been sitting around for a while. :-(

I would love to see some pics of your plane in action! :-o
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
beanoman
bitGangsta'

Post by beanoman »

I still think you are going to screw this plane on its first time out, but good luck anyways :-).

Low wing, gas, ailerons, balsa, scale, and a rather high wingloading... Yeah, better get an instructer.

Not ussually negative, but theres a reason they designed 3 channel electric high wing stick planes with low wing loadings.

But, you'll probly do great and I'll look like a dumbass :-).

beano
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

beanoman wrote:But, you'll probly do great and I'll look like a dumbass :-).
Hey, this isn't gonna be a fair race, you jumped the gun... he hasn't even had a chance to get started and you already look like a dumbass.
codesuidae
bitPlaya'

Post by codesuidae »

This particular plane, while it is low-wing, does not behave like a typical low-wing fighter, according to reviews. It acts like a trainer, which it is. Most of the negative reviews I read were complaints about either badly set-up planes or about non-fighter like performance, which is fine, since I wouldnt' be able to fly one of those anyway.

I like this particular plane (so far) because its high enough performance that I probably won't need to get anything faster, and once I can fly this, going down to something else shouldn't be an issue. But with the way I am with models, I probably won't be getting anything else anyway. Unless its the cost of a bit, I generally only have one :)

I am toying with the idea of building some foamies for the kids to play with though. They sure as hell aren't going to fly this thing. :shock:
beanoman
bitGangsta'

Post by beanoman »

hue35 wrote:
Hey, this isn't gonna be a fair race, you jumped the gun... he hasn't even had a chance to get started and you already look like a dumbass.
Yes sir, must shutup. Although.. Oh yeah, shutting the fuck up.
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

beanoman wrote:
hue35 wrote:
I'm only sayin' you look like a dumbass 'cuz you're not giving code the benefit of the doubt... bettin' against him is a sucker's bet.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

It's pretty cool that they were able to maintain the general shapes of the P-51 pretty nicely. A lot of model R/C planes don't look much like their 1:1 counterparts, especially the fighters. Many, including the P-51 and the F4U Coursair were a bitch to fly in real life.

It sounds like a great plane if you're only going to have one, especially that part where there's the equivalent of training wheels that can be removed.
beanoman
bitGangsta'

Post by beanoman »

hue35 wrote:
beanoman wrote:
hue35 wrote:
I'm only sayin' you look like a dumbass 'cuz you're not giving code the benefit of the doubt... bettin' against him is a sucker's bet.
Well, I've noticed its better to just take the initiative rather than getting flamed for a few pages when you have a retarded tantrum, like most of the '05 crop. And yep, been talking to Code for a few months, and this is the first time I'm betting against him :grin:.