Vintage RC Info Needed

Want to talk about micro boats or micro planes? How about trains, slot cars or submarines? Well you can do it all right here. If it's another hobby and it doesn't fit in one of our other forums, then it goes here.
sg219
bitPimp

Vintage RC Info Needed

Post by sg219 »

A friend of mine had some RC's collectin' dust and gave them to me so that they would have a good home and maybe get driven again.

I'm not real familiar with too many older RC's, so I need some help identifing and and some background info on them.

This is the radio I got.

This is a Tamiya Astute, circa late 80's early 90's?

This next ride is a Hirobo something.

The last one, I know nothing about except that the person said he put it together with spare parts and stuff. I know there has to be a base model that its made from, but I have know idea.

As you can tell from the dust in pics, these have been sitting for a long time.

Any info or links would be great.

Thanks,

SG219
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Sounds like some researchis needed....

The astute looks familiar, but can't give any info on it.

Never seen the onroad before. Radio looks 80ish like you said. I'm sure it'll do just fine, that is if you can deal with the stick style.

Bottom car looks like a Hornet/Super Hornet to me. Shock towers look custom, but the rest looks to be with the Hornet platform.

You'll definetly need some new electronics though.

If you go to run some nice batts in those with the stock electronics, you'll get bit type controls...

The MSC will get hot, and most likely you'll lose the propo in the throttle making it a on/off type thing...

People still race vintage cars/buggies/trucks, so get to it... Those are gonna be nice once cleaned, and cared for...

Nice score dude.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
evoraptor
bitNinja

Re: Vintage RC Info Needed

Post by evoraptor »

sg219 wrote:A friend of mine had some RC's collectin' dust and gave them to me so that they would have a good home and maybe get driven again.
:shock: Tthose things have more dust on them than betty k's offroaders..

Hope you have something insane planned for them... *cough*mamba*cough*
chrome
bitNinja

Post by chrome »

http://tamiyaclub.com/car.asp?id=80

http://tamiyaclub.com/car_comment.asp?cid=80

Tamiya Club is a great resource for vintage RC.

Later,
Chrome...
Intelligence is knowing what you don't know.
midget_man1387
midgetPimp

Post by midget_man1387 »

now, you know you don't really want all three of those... I'll take the second one off your hands ;-) since it looks the coolest lol
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Thanks Chrome. I was headed that direction. Bird told me about that site too.

I found some info.

The dune buggy is...

http://tamiyaclub.com/car.asp?id=50

Tamyia Wild One
Released 9/25/85

The buggy one...

http://tamiyaclub.com/car.asp?id=80

Tamyia Astute
Released 9/13/89

The 4WD car is...

Hirobo
Wescom II 4WD
Toyoto Celica GT four

chrome
bitNinja

Post by chrome »

Damn SG, I found a Wild One on Tamiya club for $282. I think you've got a keeper there. That Hirobo is pretty bitchin, I'd make that a runner.

Later,
Chrome...
Intelligence is knowing what you don't know.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Nice score SG. I'm Jealous. :sad:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

The Wild One is a little busted up.

It needs a battery cover and possibly a new chassis. The chassis has some stress cracks where the rear suspenion brackets are mounted.

I'm not sure how far I would like to restore this one. Its not in real bad shape, but I can see its going to take some time to find some parts and the even more extra cash to buy them.

I really would like to make this runable, just so it works properly and safely, but it would still be a shelf queen.

I don't want to wait too long and then never be able to find parts down the road. It's already 20 years old.

The Hirobo will definitely be running around sometime soon.

The Astute needs the steering set-up fixed. The crank is broken, other than that it should be runable. I think I might even put in a new ESC.

I still need to check and see what conditions the servos are all in, and check all the mechanical ESC's to see if they operate OK. The Hirobo seems to be in the best condition. I hate to cut the plugs to convert them to Deans so I can run them. I got two batteries with them that have Tammy plugs, but those plugs suck.

The Wild One will stay Tamiya no matter what.

If anyone in their internet travels come across anything, info, cool pics, vid, about any of these rides, PLEASE post them.

Thanks,

SG219