Thinking about getting an Iwaver monster... Advice

Want to talk about micro boats or micro planes? How about trains, slot cars or submarines? Well you can do it all right here. If it's another hobby and it doesn't fit in one of our other forums, then it goes here.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Thinking about getting an Iwaver monster... Advice

Post by Sporttracguy »

Ive been thinking about getting an iwaver monster for some time now. I saw that they have them on rcmart for $33. Why are they so much cheaper than the kyosho mini z monster? Is the quality that much different? Also, i know that iwaver has a newer model out than what is on rcmart, does anyone know why the new one is so much better? i know the suspension and the rx is different and a few cosmetic stuff like a bumper and what not but is it really that different?

I guess what im trying to say is, am i getting a good deal from rcmart with this model or should i just pay a little exta and get the newer model?
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/product_i ... s_id=14856

Thanks

STG
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

The new one has some type of complicated suspension design. Oil shocks maybe cant exactly tell. And it comes with that fancy comp radio.

Personally i have the firelap 4.0 (Aka iw 04) And i couldnt be more pleased for the price. Personally i think it is too good of a deal to pass up.

And this is coming from someone who did at one time own a mini-z monster.
pimpsmurf
bitGangsta'

Post by pimpsmurf »

Yeah, the Firelap 4.0 is very nice. Especially if you are going to put on i-waver alloy. Definately invest in a body though. those bodies SUCK!

-JNY
betty.k
bitPimp

Re: Thinking about getting an Iwaver monster... Advice

Post by betty.k »

Sporttracguy wrote:Is the quality that much different?
i think so, steering is a little weaker and the plastic is lower quality and not molded as well.
but at that price it's a steal, worth it for the pcb and tx alone :-o
i used to be cool
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Get 3 or 4 of the Fastlane SSMT24's instead.

4X4

Cheap

Easy to mod into a killer little truck.

But if your still hellbent on getting an '04, pay the little extra it worth it for the newer model. :-o

Iwaver vs. Kyosho......... :?

:ak: :censored: Kyosho :censored: :innocent:
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

im actualy in the process of installing an old mini t servo, and electronics into one of those 4x4s. Ill shove a orion big block in there with 5 or 6 gp cells and be on my way

Probably break something very quickly lol

im thinking ill go with the cheaper older model, i can always mod it and for that price you really cant go wrong

thanks guys

STG
Cheesehead
bitPlaya'

Post by Cheesehead »

Sporttracguy wrote:im actualy in the process of installing an old mini t servo, and electronics into one of those 4x4s. Ill shove a orion big block in there with 5 or 6 gp cells and be on my way

Probably break something very quickly lol

im thinking ill go with the cheaper older model, i can always mod it and for that price you really cant go wrong

thanks guys

STG
Those gears will not survive long with a 370. You'd best look into some better-quality gears.
Lithiums are great!
Triple the speed...
four times the duration....
And they explode if you crash them too hard!
GWS 4 EVR
-my future car's bumper vanity plate
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

If you get the 04, the front shock tower will break. I can pretty much garantee that, but replace the shock tower, and you should be good to go. I replaced mine with a GPM alloy one, and I haven't broken anything since. Here's a video I made a little while ago of me romping it.

http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpGa ... 176&pos=12

Its just running an Iwaver Xspeed, and bearings, and its plenty fast for me. You'll probably end up doing something nutty with it.

The those new ones with all the shocks, I don't like all the shocks, and they're not oil shocks. I think oil shocks would have been a better improvement, but I suppose the catilever setup gives you more travel. The front suspension is independent, but I don't like how bulky the front end looks now. One clear advantage the new ones have is using standard micro servos, so you can replace them. The steering in my 04 is weak, and I've heard that's a problem of Iwavers. I just have to start it 2 notches to the left when I start, then after a few minutes I can center it for most of the run, then I have to keep bumping it to the right as the battery weakens.

Mine is also one of the firt run 04s, I read somewhere they improved slightly with time.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Well, i bit the bullet and orderd one of those older monsters from rcmart, also picked up an iwaver 02 for cheap. (needs an rx but ill have one with the monster so it all works out)

As far as what crazydave said "Its just running an Iwaver Xspeed, and bearings, and its plenty fast for me. You'll probably end up doing something nutty with it. "

Probably fairly correct lol, im not goign too overboard with it though, probably 6 cells and a whoah nelly (always wanted to try one of those out) and ive had pretty good experience with the xspeed so ill throw one of those in there too., that and any parts i break will be replaced with alloy of course

Thanks guys for helping me spend my money on yet another couple rc cars lol
STG