Hot Wheels Radar Gun

Want to talk about micro boats or micro planes? How about trains, slot cars or submarines? Well you can do it all right here. If it's another hobby and it doesn't fit in one of our other forums, then it goes here.
cj
Ex-Shack ZipPimp

Hot Wheels Radar Gun

Post by cj »

Has any one seen this thing?

http://hotwheels.com/coolstuff/radargun.aspx

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/60 ... B000EHLB0M

I don't know what I'd do with $30 worth of Hot wheels stuff though.

Commercial says it can clock up to 100 miles/hour. That would be great for bits and other RC's.

Now how they are preventing 7-10 years olds from getting cancer?
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

:eek:

Man, $30 would be a lot of Hotweels stuff. So Target's gonna have these for $25? That's a great find!

My guess is this is probably a very low powered version and uses a frequency range much lower than the traditional Radar.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
stagg
bitGangsta'

Re: Hot Wheels Radar Gun

Post by stagg »

cj wrote:Has any one seen this thing?

http://hotwheels.com/coolstuff/radargun.aspx

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/60 ... B000EHLB0M

I don't know what I'd do with $30 worth of Hot wheels stuff though.

Commercial says it can clock up to 100 miles/hour. That would be great for bits and other RC's.

Now how they are preventing 7-10 years olds from getting cancer?

Humm... How many kids are you going to see sitting outside with a speed-ometer, lol. Now, A lot of kids, lol.
"Mom, your going to fast"
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

If it’s even remotely accurate it could be deadly :ak: Oh shit someone shot the Speed Checker Queen, a speedy reality check for some of the kiddies. Would probably need a new shoot that queen emoticon.

Would like to see more specs, I found where they say it reads full scale and Hot Wheels 1/64 so I assume the 100 in the photo is 1/64 scale but is there any reference to max full scale speed, everything they show is quite slow.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I noticed the price on the Bushnell Speedster series radar guns has recently taken a drastic price drop, as low as $79.99 with free shipping for the Speedster II, wonder if the base circuitry in this has something to do with it, would be very interesting if Hot Wheels made a deal and it’s basically a low end Bushnell with a few programming changes to display a 1/64 output.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I wonder how accurate these really are? I can't tell if that's an acutal radar ant, or just a plastic dummy; but they've got the shape right, so it either is a Radar or it's a very well disguised Laser.

On this page as it loads ( http://hotwheels.com/coolstuff/radargun.aspx ) it claimed reading a top speed of 100 mph in 1:1, and 500 mph in "hotwheels mode" which LBRC says is 1:64 scale, so I assume that's your absolute top speed in either scale. Though 1/64 scale's 500 mph is what, something like 7.8125 mph?

Bushnell Speedster series does sound like a pretty good deal at around $80, plus you'd get to see the true specs, known accuracy, a warranty, and all the other happy things of buying a real product. Though with the Bushnell it'd have the downside of being something you'd be more likely to care about, so you'd probably have to add the price of a soft case or maybe even a Pellican Box.

-
Think how many younger siblings are now going to get their 16+ year old siblings in a whole lot of trouble now! :-D :-D :-D

And it would have made playing Cops a lot more fun. You know there will soon be kids in neighborhoods all across america setting up speed traps, writing "tickets", to their friends and if they've got enough Barney Fife in them the adults too. :-o
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

What I’m thinking is that the Hot Wheels gun might actually be a version of this Bushnell usually found as a free promotional offer for baseball and tennis products:
• This Bushnell® VelocityTM compact hand-held radar that records speeds in multiple sports with accuracy
• A simple pull of the trigger, and the large LCD display shows speeds up to 110 mph for baseball, softball, and tennis from a distance of up to 80 feet away
• Accurate to +/- 1 mph this is the perfect tool for the young and up and coming athlete
• Radar gun measures 8-1/2"L x 4-1/4"W x 6"H, and weighs only 19 oz
Since the electronics would then be essentially the same increased production, i.e. a Hot Wheels contract, would be a good opportunity for Bushnel to release a new lower cost line for the sports market, better to sell millions at $25 than thousands at $150. A version of the Speedster is already released under the Velocity trade mark which could explain the current rash of sales. Stopped by the local Rat Shack yesterday and LoL there’s a Bushnell Speedster marked at $149.99 on sale at $99, sure looks like someone trying to unload to old to make way for the new. Hope so $25 bucks for a gun that could be reasonably accurate +/- 1 mph (if it is the Velocity electronics) would be a major sweet deal.
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Target’s web site is showing them in stock, unfortunately there aren’t any Targets near me, anyone seen them yet?

Forgot to mention above that the big problem with guns like the Bushnell’s is that they have a 10mph minimum limit, which although great for a baseball sucks for smaller RC cars which is why the possibility of these actually working interests me so much, that and the price, if they work that is.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

LBRC wrote:Target’s web site is showing them in stock, unfortunately there aren’t any Targets near me, anyone seen them yet?

Forgot to mention above that the big problem with guns like the Bushnell’s is that they have a 10mph minimum limit, which although great for a baseball sucks for smaller RC cars which is why the possibility of these actually working interests me so much, that and the price, if they work that is.
The TRU by me has them. $34.99+tax. They look really toy-ish.

As for spending $35, I'll save up and spend the $100 for one off of Ebay. :-o
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Let's revive this topic...

I just got home with my Hot Wheels Radar Gun, here's some details from the instruction manual:

- Press and hold the trigger for continuous speed update
- Releasing the trigger will show the MAX detected speed on the screen for 30 seconds
- For most accurate readings, objects must be moving toward or away from the gun. the gun must be at a 25-45degree angle from the object
- In the 1/64th scale speed mode, you must be no more than 1.5feet away from the rc card
- In the 1:1 scale speed mode, you must be no more than 39feet away from the target

There's no on/off switch. It seems to automatically turn off after a short amount of time...turning it on is just a matter of squeezing the trigger.