My Sailboat - Megatech Nirvana

Want to talk about micro boats or micro planes? How about trains, slot cars or submarines? Well you can do it all right here. If it's another hobby and it doesn't fit in one of our other forums, then it goes here.
saturnv7890

My Sailboat - Megatech Nirvana

Post by saturnv7890 »

Hey guys, i just wanted to show you my sorta new sailboat. I got it off tower as a kit and put some futaba electronics. The kit was $109USD and the radio gear was $90USD. Just to give an idea on how much it was.

Here are some pics, they describe this the best... (click them for bigger versions)

Here's the boat, compared to a yard stick and my nitro rustler:

Here's the radio, its a futaba 2dr. I made the left stick ratchet because it's the sail control so now when I move it, it stays where i move it.

Here's the radio box, i did a very clean job on installation, dont you think? The sail servo is the biggest one, with the big arm, and steering servo is on the opposite side. Beneath the red wires are the batteries. And below the sail servo arm is the receiver. It's funny, i had to cut away a little to mount the big servo, because the compartment was meant for standard servos...

Heres a pic of the boom vang and the gooseneck

heres a picture from the bow of the boat

The main outhaul, very complex rig, isn't it?

heres a pic showing the sheeting system. I was curious about how that worked until i finally got my boat

Here's how the keel attaches to the boat, in more expensive boats (mine was really only an entry level) they have bolts, but hey, this works just as well...

Now we move up to the top of the mast. The backstay is to the left, for orientation up here. You can see how the head attaches to the crane here. I also added some white nylon that i found lying on the ground at my local pond, probably from some of the other sailors.

This is how the jib attaches to the mast and how the forestay is tightened. Those metal wires closer to the mast are the shrowds.

Heres the bottom of the hull, you can see the keel and the rudder here. Isn't that a nice, sleek hull? I personally am in love with it, as cheap as it was. Oh it's made out of ABS...

And last pic for now, the keel, theres not much to say about this except that it weighs about 4 lbs while the hull and everything else weighs about 1/2 lb...

Enjoy! Feel free to ask any questions about definitions to some terminology or requests for pics of certain things you want to see better.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Thanks for the pics, and break down of that for us...

Looks very relaxing. What kind of run time do you get from the electronics in it?

Does it have a RTS feature?

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
saturnv7890

Post by saturnv7890 »

They do have an rts but it has really shitty electronics. My friend has the rts and cant sheet in when sailing in any wind over 5 kts. He also recently broke his sail servo. And he doesn't get nearly as much range as me., and his was about 10 bucks more.

run times, i've put in a couple of hours on this thing using non rechargeables and havent run out of batteries yet, it's gonna really suck when i do... It's just like the receiver run times on any nitro vehicle...

It's cool how i can walk down the road and sail around, it's gives me a nice relaxed, free feeling... Then when i get home, i piss off the neghbors with my rustler when i get too relaxed.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Very cool man. I like it. I think my neighbors would love it if my nitros would go away too...

Here's some pics of my Maxx.
http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpFo ... php?t=8063

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

cool, there's much more to a sailboat than i realised! :-)
i used to be cool
saturnv7890

Post by saturnv7890 »

hey nice truck, looks pretty damn expensive... with all that stuff on it.
I have yet to get a fuel filter, do you think i really need one? (not for the boat)

Yeah, everybody who comes to watch me sail that boat are amazed by the fact that i know what each and every adjustment does, it suprises me that not many people in this big boating town (famous for shipbuilding) know anything about sailboats...
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

alls i know about sailing is, if you take a lightweight racing catamaran into heavy surf it will break and sink a mile off shore!

(my first and last sailing experience! :lol: )
i used to be cool
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

betty.k wrote:alls i know about sailing is, if you take a lightweight racing catamaran into heavy surf it will break and sink a mile off shore!

(my first and last sailing experience! :lol: )
That's funny , I found one on the beach a while back , would'nt happen to be yours washed up would it betty ? :lol:

Nice boat man , real nice. I've seen a few people sailing them in the harbour here. Get's me interested. :???:
We don't need no god damn roads!