Wireless AV camera to computer ?

Want to talk about micro boats or micro planes? How about trains, slot cars or submarines? Well you can do it all right here. If it's another hobby and it doesn't fit in one of our other forums, then it goes here.
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Wireless AV camera to computer ?

Post by honda_s2000 »

Hi all,

I recently purchased a wireless AV camera online, for my 1/16 tank, but I've been having tons of fun mounting on just about everything I own! The kitten is the next project! :lol:

Anyway, it uses standard AV leads to connect to your TV, is there any possible way of getting the live footage from the camera onto my Hard drive, so I can save and edit it ? I really want to make some on-board videos, but was bummed when I forgot about it connecting to the pc.

Only way I can think of is to buy a recordable DVD player, record from the tv onto a blank DVD, and then rip it off the DVD, onto my hardrive, convert it to avi/wmp format, then edit it... lengthy process, and I don't have a recordable DVD player. :o

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks. :-o
We don't need no god damn roads!
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

you just need an audio/video usb type interface.

basically, a little box with a usb plug for the puter and sockets for the audio and video in.
i used to be cool
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Yup, betty's got the idea...If you want to take a notch up, Plextor makes a sweet little PVR box called the ConvertX. You can pick one up at buy.com for $49.00 (after rebate and free shipping too):

Plextor ConvertX at buy.com

Post by honda_s2000 »

Thank you very much fellers' :-o
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

@Nammy...They are sold out.

What about this unit?

Vid Capture thingy

Its cheap... :-o

or...

This one is tiny, with a higher price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6881110003
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

Thanks SG, will look into one of those. :-o
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Damn! That thing on Newegg is a SWEET little number! Talk about keeping shit small!

...But I'd still recommend going with the one that SG linked at TigerDirect. It's cheap and it has all standardized connectors on it (whereas the tiny thing at Newegg uses a proprietary connector, so if you lose that connector piece you're up shit's creek).

Most of these things (when you're talking the <$100 range) all do the SAME thing anyway...Which is to say they pass on the A/V stream to the PC and the PC's the one doing all the work (if you're encoding on-the-fly). The Plextor one I linked is the same too.

It's the higher priced ones that have a hardware encoder BUILT-IN to the box, BEFORE it sends the A/V to the PC! That's NICE, but it ain't cheap and unless you go to the higher-end ones, I've heard not-so-great things about their stability either. Not to mention, these days, as long as you've got a decently powerful PC/Laptop (Minimum Pentium4) then it shouldn't be a problem.

So, again, if you're looking for a; nice, cheap, good product that Sabrent that SG linked at TigerDirect looks good!

Post by sg219 »

I stopped at Best Buy and CompUSA today to see what they had to offer..... :lol:

What a joke. No one knew what the hell I was talking about. They had similar products, but they all told me I had to buy something more exspensive. :thebird:

I also went to Guitar Center, those guys rocked!!! :rockon:

They knew exactly what I wanted to do and gave me some great suggestions and a couple of cheap options.

But the one I posted, still seems to be the cheapest and most useable solution.

I think I'll be buying a turntable with a USB output, good software(comes with it), and a good price to transfer some albums to digital. $169 at the shop. I gotta find it online to compare.

Will the device I posted work for audio only, so I can transfer cassettes? Or just video? :???:

From what I've been told, I need two seperate devices, one for video with audio, and another for audio only. However, I don't believe them.

I'd like one with an FM tuner built in. Just like some of the vid devices have a TV tuner built into them.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I just scored a USB Vid device on Ebay.

$24.50 shipped...:-o

USB device (Mine is the same unit, from the same vendor)

TV tuner, remote, and more.

I'll let yinz know how it works. It should be here in a couple of days.