pimped my pushy

Want to talk about micro boats or micro planes? How about trains, slot cars or submarines? Well you can do it all right here. If it's another hobby and it doesn't fit in one of our other forums, then it goes here.
betty.k
bitPimp

pimped my pushy

Post by betty.k »

it was time to give the old girl a makeover, there were lots of areas that needed attention so a full rebuild was needed. some parts haven't been maintained in over 5 years!

this is pretty much what it was like to begin with.

first to change was the drivetrain, cassette, chain and middle chain ring.
problem buying highend chainrings is i could only find a 9 speed compatible ones and i'm sticking with 8 speed. this meant it was offset closer to the big ring, shifted like crap and rubbed on the front derailleur.
but i managed to make some 1.5mm washers to fit and it's back in the middle where it should be.
i'm using a sachs chain, they don't shift as smoothly as shimano chains but they last twice as long!
the rear derailleur died finally and i swapped it with a current model deore. it's the highest end 8spd compatible rear mech shimano make i'm told.
it feels amazing to be able to use all the gears again!

while i was at it i stripped the paint off the frame to reveal the blingy polished aluminium. but that just made the forks look outta place.

so the forks got a coat of black, i figure i'll go for silver and black with red and yellow highlights.
my old onza h.o. brake were pretty much done too so i upgraded to avid single digit brakes and speed dial levers. it's nice to stop without squealing for a change!
had a little trouble finding my favourite oury grips locally but got them in the end. what's the deal with this lock on trend?

so after a couple of hundred bucks and lotsa man hours it rides like it just left the factory again! my bike and i are officially in love again! we're planning a spring wedding :lol:
i used to be cool
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

my bike and i are officially in love again! we're planning a spring wedding

How soon after will the little bikes be due? :lol:
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

probably never, i always ride gloved! :-D
i used to be cool
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

^Lol.

Nice man, bet you save a ton on fuel costs. :-)
We don't need no god damn roads!
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Is there tread on those tires?
They look all smoove and stuff.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

CaboWabo wrote:Is there tread on those tires?
They look all smoove and stuff.
oh gawd, not you too! i wouldn't need to pay for cigarettes if i had a dollar for everytime i heard that! :lol:

they're skreet slicks, maxxis xenith 1.5's. stick like snot on a window and roll beautifully smooth. and i can blow em up to 80psi for maximum efficiency.
bet you save a ton on fuel costs.
in my whole life i've bought maybe $1 worth of petrol and that was for a molotov :-D
i used to be cool
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

The BMX dudes used to use slicks for pool riding, never seen street slicks. :???:

Nice work betty, honestly I always thought those blue forks stood out like a sore thumb. :-o
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

That's looking a whole LOT better!

So pretty now!!!
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

crazydave wrote:The BMX dudes used to use slicks for pool riding, never seen street slicks. :???:
most bicycle tyre companies have a range of slick and semi slick tyres for mtb's, it's just that they're usually not sold on new bikes. so they're specifically an aftermarket item.
also most people assume slicks have less grip than a treaded or knobby tyre, even seasoned riders!
the fact is, tread is there to disperse water and the natural round shape of a bike tyre does that anyway. knobs on offroad tyres are a different thing altogether.
honestly I always thought those blue forks stood out like a sore thumb. :-o
same, i just didn't care! it was function over form! :lol:
the stock forks were purple to match the paintjob but were quite flexy. a friend upgraded his gt to shocks and i scored his unneeded fork. it's some highend type of chromoly and much stiffer than the stock noodles, was a win win deal.
i used to be cool
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Oh you said pimped my pusHy, and I got all excited for nothing.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
trekbikedude
bitThug

hmmm deore?

Post by trekbikedude »

I think you could have went with deore lx or xt man. You may be in luck and be able to fit a 9 speed casette back there. I know lots about bikes. I got a Trek 6700, Hydro Discs Baby and Im runnin slicks right now too.