Anyone play with airsoft guns?

Want to talk about micro boats or micro planes? How about trains, slot cars or submarines? Well you can do it all right here. If it's another hobby and it doesn't fit in one of our other forums, then it goes here.
Nasphere
bitNinja

Post by Nasphere »

ChemicalInDependency wrote:your leaving a ton of info out. the power of the the explosion depends on the size of the expansion chamber, and having the correct air/fuel ratio. There is a science to this so perhaps you should do a little reseach and suppy some better info. When i get a bit more time ill write up a tut with pics, and give you some simple tests you can do to find the best air/fuel mixture.

PS. aresols work better than butane.
I have the knowledge, I'm lazy to type every little detail. As you said, there is a HUGE science to this..

Butane is not the most powerful fuel you could use, but if you don't want to melt the straws/BBs and you don't like messy things, butane works great, as it leaves almost nothing behind. Again the idea with this is a VERY cheap and powerful airsoft gun using a few house items. Also with it using a lighter, the fuel is cheap and onboard for simplicity.

I've edited my tut and added the firing and tuning. I'll add pics when I can use a still camera.
Whack!
Nasphere
bitNinja

Post by Nasphere »

Well I hate double posting, but this works I guess...

I stopped making changes on my butane gun cause I found something better. :-o

The hybrid shell was a donor for another gun I just built. I jumped right into hydrogen / oxygen burning in these cause it doesn't require airing out the chamber. All I have to say about the stuff is DAMN I wish I woulda known about H2 O2 sooner!

I made a small electrolysis rig that fills a 1L bottle in about 1.5 hours, and you can daisy chain the bottles together to produce the stuff without having to watch it all the time.

Anyways the gun is extremly loud 'cause the BBs don't seal in the chamber propperly. I tried the straw sleeves but they shred with only one shot. I'm searching for 6mm ID copper or steel tubing for a new barrel.. I'm also gonna make a small gas-operated reload system and clip to speed reload times..

As it sits, the whole support system for the gun (H2 O2 bottles, pumps, and water bottles) fits in a backpack with only a high pressure hose going to the gun... Reload times are dramatically reduced to around 6 seconds, compared to the 30+ second on the butane gun. When the reloader and clip assembly is complete, that'll speed reload times to around 1 second :-o :smile:

Pics coming soon! :cool:
Whack!
Teppudama
bitHood

Post by Teppudama »

I run an airsoft shop here in Washington, and one of the guys that has been helping me work on a gas system for a sniper rifle I want to make converted his own COndor .32 cal air rifle to fire 8mm airsoft BBs. The last chrono reading we got from it was 1100+ fps, and thats with a 0.34g BB! Biggest problem is that the accuracy is not exactly wonderful (actually missed a 8x11" piece of paper with 2 out of 10 shots at 25 meters, the others held a 6" group), so I think the velocity is too high for the weight of the projectile.

Best I have done so far is when we made the prototype 6.01mm tight bore barrel for the Tanaka series of airsoft sniper rifle (M40A1 model) and increased velocity from 527fps to 585fps with graphite coated 0.36g Straights, holding a 6" group at 100 yards. The rifle was literally putting them through the same hole at 20 feet.
Of course, the test shooter was a former Marine marksman, and worked as a tactical shooter for a nuclear facility, so regular shooters may not get the same results, but I have heard of our customers using that barrel to hit people as far out as 200 yards (650mm length barrel) in actual games, while still being under the 600fps maximum velocity allowed.

Looks like you have a pretty neat project there, good luck with it and keep posting, I like seeing what people can come up with because it just helps promote our sport.
Nasphere
bitNinja

Post by Nasphere »

Hey, nice to see another airsoft dude on this site. I've been playing with airsoft because spudguns are just too loud and too expensive.. But I think the airsoft gun that's being produced here sounds a little more serious than a spudgun..

I was playing around with the barrel from the first post here on the hydrogen gun, it ended up blowing apart the first two pens cause the pressures were so high.. I have someone who's gonna try to find a 6mm steel smooth bore tube for the project.. I'm looking at a 12-14" barrel..

So I've got a question for you Teppudama, what is the best gas operated reload system you've seen for airsoft or bb-gun? I've already made a piston with 1" travel that's going to be used to actuate the reloader, it's just I'm stumped on how to get the BB from the clip into the breech...

I was thinking something along the lines of this:

....................................|( )|
....................................|( )| <--clip

Basically it's a $5 pistol reload mock up, where a rod will push the bb up a ramp and then seal off the section.. I wish I could do some sketches and post something up but I have no media capture devices here at this time.
Whack!
Teppudama
bitHood

Post by Teppudama »

Take a shot at MS Paint, I know it is the "uber low tech" drawing program, but it can help get the point across clearer.
One thing I would recommend, to get a little better quality parts, for higher presure tolerances, would be to look up the internals of a paintball gun on someplace like viewloaderparts.com. If you can get your hands on an exploded diagram for a cheap gun, something from Brass Eagle would work, then I would recommend looking at the firing system, as it would be pretty easy to modify to your needs.
Pardon me if I am not too clear, have had about half a bottle of Crown so far tonight, so things are a little fuzzy.
Nasphere
bitNinja

Post by Nasphere »

Well I did a diagram, but the thing I don't like about this design is it puts the BB so far down the barrel already. I want somthing that operates similarly but puts the BB right at the begining of the breech.

The pink section is the loader and piston assembly, and you can see the ramp I was talking about.

Whack!
Nasphere
bitNinja

Post by Nasphere »

Another double post... I know I'm an attention whore lol.

ImageImage
ImageImage

The red wires go to a single AAA battery, the huge hole in the front is obviously for the barrel. I'm still waiting on a steel one to at least get a semi finished product. I've been using 1/4" bic pens and they've been shattering about 6" down from the extreme pressures almost every time. I ran my bic pen / gluestick silencer on there and after a few shots I noticed it was getting really loud, so I pulled it apart to find a ton of shredded plastic.
Whack!
Teppudama
bitHood

Post by Teppudama »

Looks very similar to the Asahi M60 firing system, which is CO2 operated and uses an external airsource for propulsion.
Looks like you could do something really interesting with this!
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Ok, I usualy don't like to help in getting someone maimed or worse but I do have one thought...when we used to make tenis ball cannons (about the same as a spud gun) we experimented with my dad's oxy/acetylene gas from his welder. ****VERY DANGERIOUS**** but then so is what your doing. IF it were me I'd be looking at Oxy/Ac and a well reinforced chamber...and from my experiance trying to launch a watermellon (it was the seventies and there were a lot of drugs left over from the sixties) USE A REMOTE DETONATOR...Oh maybe something like a modified model rocket launcher...well you'll see if you play with the oxy/ac. really though, if you do try this do a remote test. good luck with the sound barrier thing.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Nasphere
bitNinja

Post by Nasphere »

I think I've figured this out. I built a prototype piston for the bolt and I found that a softer spring allows the bolt to stay open longer, which hopefully will allow the new BB to catch the suckback and be sucked into a pinch point in the breech, holding it there till the next shot :smile:
sidewinder wrote:good luck with the sound barrier thing.
:-) Thank ya :lol:

EDIT: (no more double posts!! lol)

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=eRw1pdz8OBY[/youtube]
Last edited by Nasphere on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whack!
Nasphere
bitNinja

Post by Nasphere »

The previous video was of the butane gun. I finally got some video of the hydrogen gun in action..

Note the fuel level in the yellow capped bottle in this picture (almost 3" of fuel left):

I like the possible semi auto fire rate if I can reload it automatically...

And the fuel level barely changed through all those shots!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b64oDFSHr7s[/youtube]

Last edited by Nasphere on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whack!
jordanQ
bitPlaya'

Post by jordanQ »

Thats some complicated shit man!

:shock:

cool though :-)
frizzen is a friend of mine
nonickname

Re: Anyone play with airsoft guns?

Post by nonickname »

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/lardas- ... 15524.html

As far as spudguns/hybrids go that's basically the god. 200x air-propane hybrid. For the non spudgun oriented, this is how this works:

For example butane's ideal ignition point is 3.13% butane, rest air (not pure O2!). This would be a 1x combustion. If you used 6.26% butane and 15 psi (double atmospheric pressure) that would be a 2x combustion. Then 9.39% and 30 psi for 3x, and so on.

Larda's gun sends the projectiles along at 933 metres per second. That's 3358 km/h (!).

2 Watermelons getting vaporized: (watch, it's awesome!) gave me laughing fits.
http://www.vimeo.com/1444978

Hole pierced through 10mm steel
http://www.vimeo.com/1445056

THAT WAS NOT MY GUN. LARDA'S.

Btw, the correct term is deflagrating, not exploding.

And my advanced micro:
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/how-to- ... 17137.html

Cool work though, like the electrolysis unit.