Anyone play with airsoft guns?

Want to talk about micro boats or micro planes? How about trains, slot cars or submarines? Well you can do it all right here. If it's another hobby and it doesn't fit in one of our other forums, then it goes here.
Nasphere
bitNinja

Anyone play with airsoft guns?

Post by Nasphere »

I was into spudguns for a while and decided to make a mini cannon that shoots airsoft BBs... Here's what I came up with:

Just a size comparison to a real BB gun:

The chambers:

And finally, the noise supressor:

It puts airsoft BBs through 3 soda cans and penetrates one side of can #4.

It's all made with simple components and shouldn't cost more than $5 to build..

And the reason for the silencer is cause it sounds like a 22 rifle every time it shoots.. So I've muffled it down to a loud clap sound.

The reason for the RC piston/sleeve is cause I'm trying a pressure sensitive valve for a hybrid gun.. I'm trying to break the sound barrier :-)
Whack!
r/cdrifter7
bitPlaya'

Post by r/cdrifter7 »

i dont get how it works. what fires the bb?and whats the capacity of the clip or whatever your useing.
The man who said, "Money doesn't buy happiness." never had any.
Nasphere
bitNinja

Post by Nasphere »

Update:

This damn thing shatters beer bottles from 10 feet away! It even shattered a thick ass khalua bottle.. I mean that's with a .12g projectile!! I'm gonna have to get some shit up on youtube or something... Not bad for a $5 pop gun :lol:

Just a guess, I think the gun is shooting between 600 and 800 fps, and according to that, it's not too far off of the 1150 fps sound barrier.

A buddy of mine is an avid gun collector, and is looking into getting a 2000fps chronograph. Mostly because we're in a constant competition to make the best spudgun and I think we're equally interested in how fast these things REALLY shoot. :???:

So hopefully we'll be able to test the airsoft gun's speed soon. The hybrid airsoft should be done by that time as well, and hopefully it'll pierce into the 1200-1300 fps range..
Whack!
Scorpion
bitPlaya'

Post by Scorpion »

So you gonna show us how to make this thing or just keep teasing us??
Nasphere
bitNinja

Post by Nasphere »

r/cdrifter7 wrote:i dont get how it works. what fires the bb?and whats the capacity of the clip or whatever your useing.
It's actually a single shot and takes near 30 seconds to reload, but well worth the time as one shot would win an airsoft battle.. :lol:
Scorpion wrote:So you gonna show us how to make this thing or just keep teasing us??
I don't have a camera to use at the moment, but when I do, I'll post a tut for all you destructive folks out there! :-)

So I made most of the hybrid's chamber and in doing a pressure test, the valve opened prematurely and shot a huge fireball out, which singed all the hairs on one arm and some on my forehead.. I was just thinking all that power will end up behind an airsoft BB.. It'll be about twice as strong as my current cannon. :-o
Whack!
Scorpion
bitPlaya'

Post by Scorpion »

Good thats one tut i'll be waiting for. I cant wait to build one, Have you ever tried the bike spoke cannons?? My dad showed me how to make them when I was younger but I havent made one in a while lol
Nasphere
bitNinja

Post by Nasphere »

Sadly, the thing didn't break shit earlier tonight..

I think the air was too thin or something...

Usually it pierces the plastic bottles no prob.. In this vid, it couldn'e even do that much...

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYZGoQ7ULvA[/YouTube]

Edit:

I was just thinking about the air quality and the adverse effects it has on the power this thing puts out. It's gonna be a good thing that I'll have that hybrid going soon. If I need more power, just pump it up a little more! Hopefully it will also speed reload times to about 10 seconds instead of the 30+ second times that I'm getting now.

The main thing that will help with reloads on the hybrid is a rapid evacuation system using a mini onboard compressed air tank. Also with the pressure sensitive valve left open, it should be safe enough to shoot people without leaving a mark. :-o But with the valve closed and the system pressurized... :( :lol:
Whack!
r/cdrifter7
bitPlaya'

Post by r/cdrifter7 »

valve closed+the system pressurize= huge lawsuit and some medical bills.
The man who said, "Money doesn't buy happiness." never had any.
Scorpion
bitPlaya'

Post by Scorpion »

So how long am I going to be waiting for the tut??
Sauron1990
bitHood

Post by Sauron1990 »

airsoft guns are ace but i have never done that to one
Wateva you try to do its not gunna happen,
so don't do it!
ChemicalInDependency
bitHood

Post by ChemicalInDependency »

you dont need a tut its just like building a potato gun, just on a smaller scale. parts are all the same if you really want a tut i could write one up.

Ive made a ton of these using a pill bottle and a pen.
egerton07
bitThug

Post by egerton07 »

how do you make one out of a pill bottle and a pen?? :???:
Wesley
bitPlaya'

Post by Wesley »

Same question :cool:

We got lots of them.. 8-)
Nasphere
bitNinja

Post by Nasphere »

Wesley wrote:We got lots of them.. 8-)
That was the original idea with this. Bic pens cost about 10 cents a piece, a BBQ lighter is $1, and a bottle is usually free if you're around an asprin freak.

So since I still don't have a camera and ya'll really want a tut, here ya go.

Get a BBQ ligher, Bic pens, A bottle, and some straws that fit tight inside the pens.

The lighter:

It's best when you use the long metal snout type. I would also suggest to get the refillable because they do run out.
First you take it apart saving the wires, ignitor, fuel tank, and tiny little hose. The rest can be thrown out.

The pens:

Make sure you have about 5.
Take the tip and ink catridge out, throw it away or save as ammo. Take a pointy knife and stab it into the back plug. Make sure it's in there good, then give it a twist to break the glue. After that, the plug should just slide out. Now the caps are used to connect the pens together. Cut the cap in half being really careful not to crease the plastic. You have to stretch em to make em fit. Then ya gotta put the straws in.

The bottle:

Any pill bottle with a screw on cap will work.
Basically drill a 1/4" hole in the bottom of the bottle. The barrel should fit really tight. Take a sewing needle or exacto blade and cut 2 tiny holes about half inch apart on the side of the bottle for the tips of the wires to go through. Also the little hose needs to go into the bottle, so cut a hole for that too.

Assembly:

Start with putting the wires in place, connect the other ends of the wires to the ignitor (one wire goes to the brass base to the ignitor). The ignitor can be placed in the fuel tank where it was supposed to go, just to make it simpler. Now before you attach the tank to the bottle, tape the wires down with masking tape or electrical tape, then tape the fuel tank over that. Now the little hose obviously goes from the valve to the bottle.

Make sure you get a spark in the bottle...
Arrange the wires with a paper clip or something to where they're close enough (not too close) to get a spark.

Basically you're done.. If you can't figure the rest out, tough lol.. Just ask.

Edit: I almost forgot, the better the seal you have in the breech, the harder the thing will shoot.

Edit X2:

Initial setup:
Pull the hose off the lighter, and light it. Tune the valve to get a flame about 1.5" high. Put the hose back on.

Now here comes the tricky part. Hold the fuel button down while clicking the ignitor really fast till it fires. Make sure you count the seconds it took to finally ignite. If it didn't ignite after about 6 seconds, air it out and try again. Do that a few times till you get the hang of how long it takes to fuel it. Gradually you want to work a huge delay between holding the fuel down and clicking the ignitor.

The tricks of tuning:

A rich mixture = After it fires, it should smell really strong, almost enough to burn your nose. Use a little less fuel. A little change will make a big difference!

A lean mixture = It didn't fire the first time you clicked the ignitor and it barely leaves an after-scent. Use a little more fuel.

Optimal = You'll definatly know when it fires correctly!
Last edited by Nasphere on Sat May 05, 2007 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whack!
ChemicalInDependency
bitHood

Post by ChemicalInDependency »

your leaving a ton of info out. the power of the the explosion depends on the size of the expansion chamber, and having the correct air/fuel ratio. There is a science to this so perhaps you should do a little reseach and suppy some better info. When i get a bit more time ill write up a tut with pics, and give you some simple tests you can do to find the best air/fuel mixture.

PS. aresols work better than butane.