Slot Cars!

Want to talk about micro boats or micro planes? How about trains, slot cars or submarines? Well you can do it all right here. If it's another hobby and it doesn't fit in one of our other forums, then it goes here.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Well. Have a series race coming up this weekend. Been getting my cars ready most the week. built a car to run in the 1.200 class. Going to try and get it as close to the 1.200 as I can with gearing then fine tune it will led.

Heres a group shot of the chassis.

My 1.000 Car
C-can group 12 motor

My 1.200 car
inline chassis, built by me using stainless steel tubing and music wire.
speedfx S16D motor

My top sportsman
C-can group 20 quad mag motor(can you say POWER?)
inline chassis
Ball bearings
Motor is extremely fast. car was running .800s before the ball bearings and now I have a more aerodynamic body so It should get a little faster.

Hope you enjoy.
1000+ post of BS.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Hey Shaun, what kind of solder are you using with the stainless steel? Is it just standard 60/40 saftey silver? Or does stainless require something special. I've stayed away from it because of the nightmare I had workng with chrom moly...yeah I know it's nowhere close to the same stuff but I never bothered trying naything new after the Chrom.

BTW, cool stuff.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

I use 60/40 solder for everything.

Thanks.
1000+ post of BS.
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

Shaun that there is some cool stuff! :-o I like the look of those dragsters do you have an idea for bodies yet or are they going to get the ones you show earlier?

Where did you get the Wheels and tires those are super sweet! I have wanted to get into slot cars but I dont think my budget can afford them along with all the other hobbies I have! :???:
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

steelwoolghandi wrote:Shaun that there is some cool stuff! :-o I like the look of those dragsters do you have an idea for bodies yet or are they going to get the ones you show earlier?
Yea, come on Shaun show the bodies.
steelwoolghandi wrote:Where did you get the Wheels and tires those are super sweet!
24th scale slot cars always had some cool wheels.
steelwoolghandi wrote:I have wanted to get into slot cars but I dont think my budget can afford them along with all the other hobbies I have! :???:
That's probably right. I ran them in the late 80's early 90's and spent way too much back then. The cost of all the goodies are higher now.

But if you want to get back in I do have some stuff I haven't traded away yet. Shaun got a few cars from me a while ago. I know I still have some stuff to trade. :grin: Unless I hit the lottery and start my own LHS. :eek:
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

I'll show 'em. When all my cars are ready...... I'm finishing up the new body for the top sportsman. the caddy lack is finished. And I'm using the mustang body that you guys saw earlier. Also have another car I'm trying to get built out of some spare parts. its mopar(just for you bilbo).
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

SHAUN wrote:I'll show 'em. When all my cars are ready...... I'm finishing up the new body for the top sportsman. the caddy lack is finished. And I'm using the mustang body that you guys saw earlier. Also have another car I'm trying to get built out of some spare parts. its mopar(just for you bilbo).
Superbird, Road Runner or Barracuda (Hemi Under Glass)?
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

BilboBaggins wrote:
SHAUN wrote:I'll show 'em. When all my cars are ready...... I'm finishing up the new body for the top sportsman. the caddy lack is finished. And I'm using the mustang body that you guys saw earlier. Also have another car I'm trying to get built out of some spare parts. its mopar(just for you bilbo).
Superbird, Road Runner or Barracuda (Hemi Under Glass)?
Dodge Omni! :-o

My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

Plymouth Arrow

Wait that's a Mitsubishi made car.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Finally got most of the stuff done. Tomorrow I have to organize my box and shine up the bodies. Then its off to the track to tune and BS. I don't have any brass tubing so I can't make any body mounts. I still have to narrow up the front of the top sportsman so that I can fit the studebaker.

I was looking through some stuff and found that I had enough parts to put my very first drag car back together. It was the very first drag car I purchased. I think I paid the track owner $50 for it.

Its not quite the same, I tore down the chassis and rebuilt it the way I thought it would run best.
This will be my second 1.200 car

Pics.

The body.

Heres the rest of the bodies.

First the top sportsman. Tomorrow its getting backed in silver.

Second the 1.200 car.

And the 1.000 car.

Group shot of all the chassis.

With bodies.

My box. I carry all my slot car things in it. Sometimes I swear my back is going to break one of these days when I pick it up.

Thats all I got, thanks for looking.
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

Do my eyes deceive me? A Dodge Coronet, maybe even a Super Bee.

The Sportsman looks a early 50's Studebaker, I love those orphan cars.

Big Bubba is racing an old Merc or is that supposed to be a T-bird?

Is the red car supposed to be a 90's Mustang?

You should have went all Orphan. Studebaker, AMC Javelin, Hudson Hornet, and Plymouth Road Runner (or Super Bird.)

maybe add a Nash Metropolitan (no the Nash would be too funny.)

But I don't think anyone would try to make a drag car from a 1957 BMW Isetta 250.

Maybe Shaun will try.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

I really want to do a Javelin.

The mustang is a 94-98 body style.

Bigbubba racing is a Cadillac.

Studebaker is a 53.

I got everything ready to go. Can't wait to go down to the track tonight and mount my bodies. I also got a interior painted for the Studebaker. The track owner said the rules said that "top sportsman car must have a driver". Does really matter to me. with the old body and interior set the car under 8g what it was supposed to be, it should weigh 90g.
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

SHAUN wrote:I really want to do a Javelin.
There were some hard body kits out there for the Javelin, probably still are. Personally I'd look for the AMC Rambler wagon, I had one with a Pro Mod Hood Scoop on it for laughs.
SHAUN wrote:The mustang is a 94-98 body style.
I didn't like that as a slot car body, looks too much like a blob. OH NO the Blob. Stay out of single movie theaters in suburban Philadelphia.
SHAUN wrote:Bigbubba racing is a Cadillac.
Damn, if I race again I'll have to put together a Hod Rod Lincoln.
SHAUN wrote:Studebaker is a 53.
Love the Studebaker, I raced it when Parma made the Studebaker body.
SHAUN wrote:I got everything ready to go. Can't wait to go down to the track tonight and mount my bodies. I also got a interior painted for the Studebaker. The track owner said the rules said that "top sportsman car must have a driver". Does really matter to me. with the old body and interior set the car under 8g what it was supposed to be, it should weigh 90g.
I never raced a 24th (or 32nd) scale slot car without a driver. It was mandatory for the road racers and highly suggested at the time in drag. You could have blacked out the windows but the driver always looked better.

And if you are there to have fun then you should go all the way with it.

One guy I raced put trolls in all his cars as drivers. It was funny in Indy/F1 seeing the hair start straight up and end up straight back. I think he found a racing helmet for the driver and cut a hole in it for the hair.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

I love the mustang body. I have to get a few more.

Heres my brothers stang.

1000+ post of BS.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Bilbo wrote:
But I don't think anyone would try to make a drag car from a 1957 BMW Isetta 250.
Guess again:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand