Slot Cars!

Want to talk about micro boats or micro planes? How about trains, slot cars or submarines? Well you can do it all right here. If it's another hobby and it doesn't fit in one of our other forums, then it goes here.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Slot Cars!

Post by SHAUN »

Don't know if any of you guys are into slot cars. I'm not talking about those little 1/64th or the 1/43rd. I'm talking about 1/24th cars, these are nothign like a 1/64th or 1/43 they don't have magnets to hold them to the track. You actually have to drive these cars or you will de-slot.

I just got back from the races and I'm quite proud of my self, I got 2nd place, the race before last I had also gotten second place. I won $6.00(Yeah now I'm rich) The way it works is first place gets %50 of entry fees, second gets %30 and 3&4 split whats left.

We ended the heads up 1.2000 Class (what I used to run) And are now doing brackets on Tuesday night. I decided I wanted to change my body I had ordered a ford ranger drag truck from WRP through the track and WRP sent a S-dime, so I got a mustang its a 98 style (same style my brother had). I got it masked I'm going to get some bright red paint tomorrow and lay some on it.

My shitty, horribly, crappy masking job. My dad finally told me to mask the damn thing already when it took me 5 minutes just to get the back window on. This will be my first lexan body paint to don't expect any thing to special.

Racing went really well tonight. First test run of the truck the crown wasn't tight and popped off so I had to put a new one on. second one went good. Chassis seemed to start flexing really bad so I put a brace in, once I did that my times went from a 1.323(fastest with out brace) to a 1.202(fastest with brace) Also the truck was hooking up better I was getting a 356 to the 60(with out brace) and then a 202(with brace).

Thank you,
Shaun
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

I see you are running an inline setup as opposed to the sidewinder i ran most of the time.

Have you attempted to rebuild and blueprint your motors yet? It'll help it run better.

I used to run Road Runners, 64 Ram Chargers, Barracuda and some old pickup bodies when I bracket raced but my most consistent was the Over Weight 94 Grand Prix Nascar bodied car. It was slow but it was a good 2.80 car (Rules for bracket at the time said all cars had to be faster than 3.00) and a friends 49 Merc (Lead Sled) was in the 2.4 range. It was fun having guys sit for nearly 2 seconds before they could leave the line. You can't believe how many red light victories we got with these slow cars.

Are you going to run the Round-De-Rounds too. Most of the Drag guys had a rivalry with the road racers. (I was on of the few who did both and was friends with both groups at the track we raced at.)
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Yeah, I run FCR. I'm getting ready to get a sprint and indy. I have to wait for fund to allow, next week I'm going to build a new chassis for it. He just didn't have the parts in. I have the stupidest fucking thing going on. I keep seeing blotches like a hard water stain in my body, I have washed it so many times. I guess I'll just run it for a little while and get a new one if it comes out bad. Slot cars are cheap to paint 5.99 for a body :eek:
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

SHAUN wrote:Slot cars are cheap to paint 5.99 for a body :eek:
That's so true. I think I still have at least a trash bag full of bodies in my basement.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

This is a bitch to paint I have to bring it inside in between coats. I got pactra bright red. I plan on 4 coats. I have been waiting about 12-15 minutes in between coats I'm now letting my second coat dry.
1000+ post of BS.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Mother fucker! :blazin: :ak: I was using one of those handle and I didn't notice the paint was building up then all of a sudden this big ass blob of paint right on the roof of the car! I think I may have had it covered pretty good. I hope you can't see the blob when its done. I made a little thing to hold my body while painting. I took a pox traced the car onto it then I cut it out dropped the body in and used scotch tape to hold it down(by the scrap lexan around the bottom).
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

SHAUN wrote:This is a bitch to paint I have to bring it inside in between coats. I got pactra bright red. I plan on 4 coats. I have been waiting about 12-15 minutes in between coats I'm now letting my second coat dry.
Remember Paint is weight. The lighter the coats (and fewer) the better.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Hue35 and I stumbled on a slot car drag race a couple years ago, and were about ready to drop a hundred bucks on some cars before we left. It's a good thing we didn't, as that place closed its doors a few months later.

However, it was cool as hell, and there were some really sweet cars there. Not sure I liked the idea of all that sticky tire dressing and races that are less than 3 seconds, but it was cool to watch. I can only afford enough time and money for a couple different scales and types of cars, and I'm already maxed out. :sad:
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

That was the arguement between the the drag slot car guys and the round-de-rounders. It was like this.

Drag Racer: We like our straight line cars because we can get several races in one day.
Road Racer: We like the endurance, You guys can't handle anything over 3 seconds at a time.
DR: Our cars are more realistic.
RR: Euro-Sport, NASCAR, Indy/F1 are realistic also.
DR: Our bracket cars look like the cars we drive.
RR: Are you sure it's not that you can't handle the turns.

I heard one of these arguement go on for about 15 minutes.

Reminded me of the Valoline commercial years ago with Al Unser, Jr. Joe Amato and another driver I can't remember at this time.

Al goes to Joe saying that he couldn't handle anything more than 5 seconds at a time. The other guy tells Joe to turn and face his acuser. Joe says I'm a drag racer I don't have to turn.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Alot of the drag racers also road race. With the new location of the track we got a tri-oval and the sprints are looking really fun. The body looks bad ass! no flaws at all! I'm going to go get a 6 pack of interiors as soon as I can and paint 'em all silver and detail with a fine point sharpie. I'm also going to get 2 more stang bodies, paint one up like my brothers stang, and do the other in a orange/white The other thing is you can't see the out line of the grill very good, I want to get something similar of a sticker, I know stangkillaSS had printed out his own for a trophy truck build with a normal printer.

I'm rambling on again :lol:

Why does it seem that bilbo is the only one that replies to my threads.
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

I'm the only one that:

1. Still Tolerates you. :grin:
2. Can figure out what your are talking about. :?
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Are you saying my grammar and spelling sucks and I just can't type a message to save my life. Or you're the only one that knows something about slot cars.
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

SHAUN wrote:Are you saying my grammar and spelling sucks and I just can't type a message to save my life. Or you're the only one that knows something about slot cars.
Yes to the first part (I'm used to reading bad spelling on my job) and probably Yes to the second.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Hey Shaun, where is this track? sounds like fun.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I'm not replying because: you bashed HO slotcars. you didn't post pics of the ranger drag truck.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'