Slot Cars!

Want to talk about micro boats or micro planes? How about trains, slot cars or submarines? Well you can do it all right here. If it's another hobby and it doesn't fit in one of our other forums, then it goes here.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Wednesday.... road racing night. Finished 2nd out of 5. Missed first by 1 lap(thats not very much by slot car racing standards).

I'm getting pretty good at the indy cars(what we race on Wednesdays) Its taken me a lot of time to get my car set up perfect. I've spent hours and hours tuning. I normally don't brag, but its easily the fastest car out there. Its just my crappy driving skills that keep it from winning. I feel really bad, my car went across a few lanes and got hit right as the turn marshal girl picked it up. hit her hand pretty good. You too can simulate how this felt by placing your hand on cement and whacking it with a hammer.

Heres some pictures I took before people started to show up.

The 4 road cars I race the most. Left to right, Wing Flexy, kodak body on a champion chassis, Indy car, FCR.

1000+ post of BS.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

They all look good Shaun, I love the Dodge...very cool. Ok, so le me get this straight, you took pics of the drag cars, you took pictures of the road race cars, but you forgot something. Where are the pictures of the turn marshal gorl that you hit on (well Ok, your car technicaly hit her, but its a start)? :smile:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

Looking good there Shaun. Now you have to paint the driver/interior.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Thanks guys.

I really love the Thunderbird I find my self staring at it thinking "what a sweet car". Its almost one of those cars that you just wanna sit it on the shelf because its so awesome looking(to me anyway). But I will never own a shelf queen.

Laying the carpet in Kansas again this weekend so I don't get to go back and get my car. This is starting to piss me off. I get a car that I'm in love with and have to be in Oklahoma, and can't be driving my bad ass car.

Atleast I get to go do some drag racin' tomorrow night. Only plan on entering the Thunderbird I don't have the money to enter anything other cars.
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

I recognize some of those cars. How are the 15b *Wing thing" and the Vintage GT (ZZzzz... Racing/Kodak/Quaker State) working for you. Wait, were is the driver from the Kodak car, did he get promoted to another vehicle? Please don't tell me you put the GT driver figure in a Stock Car bodied car.

You still need to paint the driver in your Indy car as well as the T-Bird.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Thats a wing flexi under the box stock body. I swapped my wing flexi with my box stock. The kodak driver died it a roll over crash. Lets give a moment of silence..........

I need to put him back in.

I painted a body for the Thunderbird, but for the class the Thunderbird weighs about 8 grams more than it needs to.
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

SHAUN wrote:Thats a wing flexi under the box stock body. I swapped my wing flexi with my box stock. The kodak driver died it a roll over crash. Lets give a moment of silence..........
He survived driving for me for 2 years and another decade or so in a box and he dies when you have him. :sad:
SHAUN wrote:I need to put him back in.
Yes you do. Call slot cars need drivers.

SHAUN wrote:I painted a body for the Thunderbird, but for the class the Thunderbird weighs about 8 grams more than it needs to.

I'm guessing lead (or brass) weight is in it's future.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Its to heavy. I don't want to add weight to it. I'm trying to remove it. I can't think of anything else I can remove.
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

SHAUN wrote:Its to heavy. I don't want to add weight to it. I'm trying to remove it. I can't think of anything else I can remove.
Any part that is a plate (brass, Steel) drill holes in it.

On the thickest parts of the body use a dremel to thin the plastic. Take off any unnecessary mounting points from the model. Is the Scoop hard plastic or Lexan? It looks like hard plastic, if it is either dremel it out from underneath to lose thickness (weight) or replace with lighter Lexan piece.

Replace the thick plastic windshields with .005 lexan if you can. The side windows are flat and easier to replace

Drill holes in the rear rims (be careful not to do too much that the rims are useless) or buy lightened rear tire/rims.

Use steel wire (music wire) for the wheely bar instead of brass tubing (if you used brass tubing)

Run as #1 on the side window (Warren Johnson claimed #1 was lighter than #2)

Cut away more of the rear bumper if you can.

Make the lead wires as short as you can. Soldier the wire directly to the brushes on the guide instead of wired to a old piece of metal. so you won't be able to quick change the pickup brushes but on a drag car how often do you replace them anyway.

Drill holes in the guide from the top.

Looking at the body I think it should have Motorcraft sponsorship and be Red and White. (Bob Glidden's Pro Stocker.)

Paint the driver. I know it adds weight but it looks cooler and I believe it'll run better (at least mine did).
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

I'm going to do some more hacking. I see some stuff that can be changed to make it lighter.

I might take the motor and build a vette. I have a old vette laying around that would make a cool drag car.

I have most the chassis pieces laying around.
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

SHAUN wrote:I'm going to do some more hacking. I see some stuff that can be changed to make it lighter.

I might take the motor and build a vette. I have a old vette laying around that would make a cool drag car.

I have most the chassis pieces laying around.
I picked up a 55 Chevy Nomad and an International Scout at Wal-Mart a couple of days ago. If there were any places around me to drag I would be building the Nomad for Bracket (or find a hood scoop and go Pro-Mod) racing.

I could build it for laughs but then I'd just have to find someone to sell it too.

I think the Scout will go onto an X-Mod truck I have unopened, that could be a good laugh. I guess I should look for the Lift kit and Big tires on clearance.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Find a drag track..........
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

SHAUN wrote:Find a drag track..........
Sure, easier said than done. Last one within reasonable distance (40-45minutes) closed about 7 years ago.

So are you moving here to open the hobby shop? I haven't come into a wad of cash to open one myself.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Isn't one of the floors in your house wood?? I see you renting a router in the future :lol:
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

SHAUN wrote:Isn't one of the floors in your house wood?? I see you renting a router in the future :lol:
And everyone reading the obit the next day when my wife kills me. :eek:

It would be fun to see the cats reactions. :lol: