Unimax Radlines

Want to talk about micro boats or micro planes? How about trains, slot cars or submarines? Well you can do it all right here. If it's another hobby and it doesn't fit in one of our other forums, then it goes here.
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Unimax Radlines

Post by Murdoch »

Anyone pick these up? Found em while doing a search for something completely different...

Anyways for those who don't know, they're 1/24 scale offroad vehicles with a ton of parts and hopups. If I ever find one up here (no targets in Canada) I'll grab one for a project.

Here's the one that caught my eye.. http://www.radlinerc.com/Elite_Fang.html
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

About 3 weeks ago I was at Target, browsing the toy isles and saw a card with coilover shocks, I stopped and picked it up. It was 4 very small Oil Filled shocks for $15...you have my attention. I grabbed the worlds worst cellphone pic of one of the vehicles in box, what I saw looked like a stadium truck or buggy, and promptly forgot about asking if anybody knew anything about them.

3 vehicles: Stadium Truck, Buggy, Monster.
2 Trims: Elite - $50. Master - $90

They look very interesting, but I didn't pick one up yet. Might have to snag one of the base model ones.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

nice.

maybe if they're as good as I think they are, I might just stick one onto an RCP track and race the Z's. :)
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Saw the cards for hop ups here in Fla at the Target,. Didn't see the vehicles though. They look really cool though.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I looked online and coudn't find them...maybe I'll actualy have to go into the damned place.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Looks like all vehicles use the same chassis which they call UL-01ST. So I assume the differences are just body, maybe suspension travel and ride height?

The more I read about them, the more they look like they could be a bit of fun... Especially once people like us get our hands on them.
-
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

After reading many reviews about these on other forums, I broke down today. I hit the target a few miles from work, they had 2 of the Monster and Stadium. So, I walked out with a Stadium truck, oil shock set, and the modified motor. I wanted bearings, but no such luck.

Initial impression is: Not a bad toy. These feel a lot closer to being hobby grade than the Xmod ever managed.

Tx... "RTX-1" actually feels like a tx, little light but not as cheap and flimsy feeling as most toys. Powered by a 9v, 2 ch, steering and throttle trim pots, then you get another pot and a switch. The extra pot is steering endpoints, the extra switch has to do with either throttle punch or throttle curve. Radio lets you choose between 3 channels on your frequency using a switch; Red, Green, Orange.

Truck... IFS, IRS, 2 diff shaft-driven 4wd. Many adjustments, more if you get the turnbuckle kit. Motor and batteries mounted mid-rear. Steering is kinda mushy since they built in crash resistant flexibility (a lexan link can reportedly fix this) Stock motor is a closed endbell 130, 3 surface mount caps, and a ferrite coil on each lead, weird little proprietary looking connector. Tires are Pinknobs that have foams. 4 AAA.

Body... Ugh, more like Stadium Car. Looks kinda like one of those ugly new Cadillac CTS, but throw a wing on it. Light, thin lexan, harder where it needs to be.

Driving impressions once I get it to my new testing site.

My guess is this will be suited for large rooms indoors, or small areas outdoors where the 1/10th can't stretch its legs.
-
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I was in Target last week, and saw one of these. It looked interesting so I picked it up. They also had the bearings so I grabbed those too. Then my wife took too long to finish up, and I had too long to think about it, decided I have enough RCs and put it back. Damn, I wish I didn't do that, 'cause now I want one. :lol:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

dammit!

and I was hopin to hear how they are. I'm itchin for a 1:24 offroad.
richh
bitGangsta'

Post by richh »

Ok, so I went to Target yesterday with the intentions of buying one. They had the 3 stadium trucks and 2 buggies. I must have stood there for 20 minutes just looking at the boxes. The more time i spent, the less appealing they seemed. $50 for the truck, $20 for shocks, $10 for bearings, $13 for modified motor. It adds up pretty quick. So I walked out empty handed.

A year to two ago the $'s wouldn't have mattered and I would have grabbed a truck and all the hop-ups without hesitation. Does this mean I'm loosing interest in the hobby?
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

As expected, it isn't a rock crawler so it's too fast for the tight clutter of my parents house; but even a dual cell bit is, so no shock there.

I took it to my brand new Alternate Test Site: large rooms, high pile carpet, low pile carpet, stone. Using included batteries, bone stock except for the shock upgrade. Pretty good punch, but no wheel-spin. My g/f threw away all the cardboard boxes, so no jumping. Very controlable, not a 1/24 terror like I hoped, but better than many TOY rc. Top end a bit slower than I'd like, oh well that's what tuning parts are for...

Motor and gearing changes are unnessicarily complex. **The screwdriver it comes with in crap, just throw it away right now.** Pull 6 screws, the entire rear diff pod and such come off, then pull 2 more screws to access the motor holder. Motor is held into the motor mount by a plastic band.

Motor mounted, pinion installed, gearmesh set, rear pod back on, threw in a set of fresh Energizers. Power everything up, squeeze the throttle, moves 3 feet and coasts to a stop as I hear the motor still winding up. It spun the pinion off the motor. I'm not using that screwdriver again, end of test day. I fix it when I get back to parents house, don't have enough tools at new house yet.

Mine came with an 8Tooth pinion installed, 10 & 12 were included. I bet bigger pinion combined with race motor will wake it up a bit. I wonder if Target carries the motor/gearing upgrade kit?

I've just got to make fun of body and rims. The offroad caddy looking body is bad, but how much drugs do you have to sell to put those rims on an "offroad" vehicle?

My results thus far:
Better at offroad than an Evo-T Xmod, MUCH better propo radio. Seems to think more like a hobby grade than I would have given it credit.
-
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Frizzen wrote:
Motor is held into the motor mount by a plastic band.
:shock:

Hey frizzen, which end of Indiana are you in? Our Targets don't have the cars just the hop-ups. I'm heading towards Indy next week I thought I'd ask if you were close enough to know if they have them there?
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Yeah, plastic band. Imagine an Xmod Evo-T outer motor clip that has snap-in tab/slot rather than using hardware to retain it. Though with as tight as the racing motor sits in there, I'm not sure you need more retaining.

I'm in Indy, west side. I didn't try 38st, Avon didn't have any, but Plainfield had 1 stadium and 2 monster left when I bought mine a few days ago.

I just performed the stering slop mod using some ZZ package, it helps quite a bit. http://ripper7racing.com/r7rforums/show ... php?t=2140
-
richh
bitGangsta'

Post by richh »

FYI, those that have the trucks may want to go back and checkout the prices on the option parts. The Target near me has the Radline shocks in the clearance aisle for $3.74. The trucks are still at $49.99 :( .
frizzen
bitDisciple

Re: Unimax Radlines

Post by frizzen »

I went back for another set of oily shocks for the (MAN 5T) and found out they've changed how they sell performance parts. Now, instead of having 4 sets of hop-ups, they have 2.

Handling performance, shocks and turnbuckles.

Speed performance, bearings and motor.

They also seem to have thrown out another trim level, Platinum in addition to the Elite and Master.
-