EVO XMod - Can it benefit from the tight-turn resistor mod?

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Xmods line of RCs goes here.
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

EVO XMod - Can it benefit from the tight-turn resistor mod?

Post by PimpFloyd »

Was the "tight turn" resistor mod beneficial just to the Gen. 1 platform or will an EVO also benefit from this mod? I'm not so hung-up on a tighter turn radius as I am about nervous servo syndrome. I thought I read somewhere that this mod reduces twitching some-what - I may of mis-understood this though...

What say ye?

PF
sidewinder
bitProphet

Re: EVO XMod - Can it benefit from the tight-turn resistor mod?

Post by sidewinder »

I don't remember this mod, is it on this board?
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

I don't think it's a sticky - I think I read it in a thread. Basically you solder a 4.7K - 10K resistor in series with the servo pot connections, orange & brown wire...

(Edit) I found my answer here - http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpFo ... sistor+mod

Apparently, it was only needed for Gen.1 I guess...

Thanks!
PF
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Evos were supposed to have fixed that at the factory.

Their pot would work for more steering angle than the steering parts did.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

Thanks Frizzen!

I picked up my first XMod (and therefore, my first propo R/C Car) a few weeks back off of eBay - local pick-up. It's a blast on the paved portion of our driveway.

Now that I have a feel for how fun these are...I see a mini-Z in my near future. Atomic currently has a "Ready Set" Cobra Daytona Coupe that I lust over. :eek:

PF
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

PimpFloyd wrote:I see a mini-Z in my near future. Atomic currently has a "Ready Set" Cobra Daytona Coupe that I lust over. :eek:

PF

You won't look back after you cross over to the Z side. :twisted:

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

You won't look back after you cross over to the Z side.
I get big grin-factor with the Xmod at the moment - so I can only imagine what a Mini-Z is gonna be like!

O/T but a few years back we decided to pave our stone driveway...it was pricey but it's worth every single penny now :-o
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I love small RCs, and I suppose since this a micro RC board I should support the idea of a Mini Z, but if you're just getting into propo rc you might want to go bigger if you have anywhere you can run one. Mini Z's are great, but the extra speed and control you get with a 1/12 or 1/10 scale will really make it a lot better. The nice thing is that there are a ton of cheap RTR used 1/10 scales out there. I like BoLink pan cars for cheap fast fun. You can find complete Bolink pans with radio and usually batteries, and sometimes chargers for under a hundred bucks. For a pan car you'll need a smooth paved surface, and avoid any listed as "oval" because they are offset and only turn left well. But a cheap pan car, with a 20 turn motor and chap Nicd batteries will still run 25-30mph, the handling will be very good, and anytime you want a new look there are about half a million different bodies available.

I know there are Mini Z's around that can get close to the speed a 20T pan car can go, but when you're ready to step up, you can go to a mod motor...a good mod motor will get you into the 40mph range. Then if you are really digging it you can go lipo and brushless, set it up right and you can have a 70mph car that even has decent run times. Micros' are great, but if you are still building your RC collection a good all around car is great to have.

One more thing, if you have a big yard or a park nearby, you might want to look into a buggy. Tamiya just introduced a new Buggy that CrazyDave mentioned, it's basically a combination of a couple of the buggies most of us here grew up with. It should be rock solid, and I think it was pretty cheap. Even one of the reissued Grasshoppers or other Tamtech buggies would be a great all around RC.

Just something to think about, the Z is a good car, and if you go that way you'll love it, I just thought I'd mention the other stuff.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

Hey Man,

Thanks for the info! I know very little about the 1/10th scales so the information you posted is very helpful. I think I have enough room for a larger scale pavement car. At some point, a buggy might be fun too.

I really enjoy running my Xmod outdoors on the driveway. Currently, I set up can-cozy's with full cans of various "swill" stuffed in them and use them for pylons to drive around. It's great fun and a great way to learn to drive. My only issue with running outdoors is I have tear down my Xmod after every run and clean it. This is due entirely to the amount of sand and road spooge left over from the winter. The driveway will get power washed today because after three complete tear-downs, I came to the brilliant conclusion that it would be easier to clean my driveway as apposed to cleaning my car. :wink:

I wonder if a larger car would be more impervious to dirt - again, removing the sand and grit with the power washer will probably eliminate the problem.

I'm really intriqued about having a car with better electronics and steering resolution. I imagine a Formula 1 car in a Mini-Z or 1/10th scale must feel a little like the real thing!

A week ago, I was at a local Goodwill, they had two large scale trucks there - maybe 1/10th - for 4.99. One was the Grave Digger the other was a pick-up. Both looked like they had the same running gear, no TX's. I almost picked one up just for the heck of it. Might be worth trying to hack, they might of been a toy grade truck though. Hmmmm.

Thanks!

PF
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

I personally would not make the jump to 1/10 unless you have some money to burn. And the fun factor is way less. The shitty thing about larger scales is you need to go outside to a big place to run them, or it gets real boring real fast going back and forth in front of your house. Even at a parking lot, they're going to get boring. If you have a track close to you and want to start racing and can afford it, then go that route. Unless you run lipos, 1/10 electric sucks balls, cause you get about 8-10 min of runtime and then it's back to wait for more charging :o

You can get real creative with the smaller scales and making tracks for them. And the run time on a mini Z is around 40 min. They're easier to work on, less money and less mess.

So, unless you have a big place to run, I'd stay with the small scales. You can thank me later. :-)

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

Yeah, I second that ^ opinion. Smaller scale is good to begin with the hobbie.
Xmods are fun, but can't compete with mini-z.
Precision of control is unbeatable.
Do you have the AWD or RWD xmod?
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Too late guys. I talked him into getting an older Bolink pan. You do have to go outside, but do you really want to be penned up in your house?

The problem with the minis is that they just don't handle uneven surfaces as well as larger scale stuff, my 1/6 stocker runs great on rough asphalt, the Bolink Eliminator handels pretty well, as long as I avoid certain areas...the Tam F1, that's another story. If I was going to have one main car it would be the pan, or, just because of where I live, a decent buggy. That reminds me...if anyone sees an old Tam Grasshopper cheap let me know please. Mine is just too beat up to save anymore, and I would rather have an old one instead of the repop.
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

My XMod is currently RWD only. Just put in sealed bearings this week. No big revelation but the bearing mod is great! XMods are like farts in a frying pan at speed on a driveway based on their twitchy low res steering :P BTW, I read somewhere that cleaning the grease up on the controller steering wiper mechanism improves the twitchness and I tried it - it does seem to work a little better now.

I had a momentary short circuit at the motor this weekend due to poorly placed filter cap and piss-poor factory solder job. No detectable smoke but a little dectable smell so I have replacement FET's on the way from Atomic. I'm sure the stock FET's were stressed during the shorts and even though it seems fine at the moment, I pretty sure I've reduced their life span so they will get replaced. After that I'm pretty much finished pumping money into the XMod for now. I'm setting my sights on a Mini Z for 1/28th scale.

I did pickup a Bolink and have had an opportunity to run it a few times outdoors and love it! It's currently disassembled for major cleaning - it was an eBay purchase and although it's pretty good shape, it needs to cleaned up in a big way.

At this point I enjoy both scales, it's nice to have a Mini and Micros for indoor and some outdoor use, especially during the winter months and the pan cars are great for outdoor fun and are super simple to work on and maintain. Having a real servo and decent radio equipment on a car is icing on the cake!

One final comment, as a novice to all of this I have received alot of help here and learned a alot too - thanks for that and I hope I can contribute to the forum as soon as I come across or accomplish something relatively useful on my own. It's great forum with a great group of people. And when I need a good laugh, I like to re-read the "Tard" posts - I can't help it! :-)

Floyd :)