kicking my xmod up a notch

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Xmods line of RCs goes here.
cj
Ex-Shack ZipPimp

Post by cj »

viperdout wrote:
I will soon be too, except I'll be milling round stock into dummy AAAs and dropping in 2 li-ion AAAs with the 2 dummy ones. They are in extreme demand right now, especially from noobs (no idea why since they usually can't solder).
?

What material are you makeing your dummys out of? What are the specs of these new AAA Li-ons?
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Post by viperdout »

cj wrote:
viperdout wrote:
I will soon be too, except I'll be milling round stock into dummy AAAs and dropping in 2 li-ion AAAs with the 2 dummy ones. They are in extreme demand right now, especially from noobs (no idea why since they usually can't solder).
?

What material are you makeing your dummys out of? What are the specs of these new AAA Li-ons?
I just made the dummies out of some steel roundstock lying around my school's shop, and machined a dimple in (just a flat piece won't connect). I was going to use 300 mah li-ions, but the people that I was gonna buy them from ran out, and don't seem eager to buy more. Runtime will take a major hit with these cells, but you can swap between li-ions and stock ni-mhs or alkalines, which I have not seen from anyone at all.
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

Damn... aren't they heavy?
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Post by viperdout »

Bird wrote:Damn... aren't they heavy?
Yeah, which is why if it works, it'll be made out of aluminum.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

viperdout, that's a brilliant idea. you have all the battery options you could hope for with that mod :-)

but honestly, my xmods go fast enough for me, if i dropped some lithium whatevers in it it would just go too fast for my liking. yes you heard it here, there is such a thing as too fast! :eek:
i used to be cool
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

I just wanto kill stock 1:10 scale so I think i will try to get the S04. and a nelly. Hopefully before the end of march.
Just to confirm: 4 cells, S04, and a nelly should do it right?

Maxx
backdrift
bitGangsta'

Post by backdrift »

not kill a 1:10 lol.. most stock hi-po 1:10's do like 35 or 40mph. with li ions and a larger pinion u could hit that...
cj
Ex-Shack ZipPimp

Post by cj »

viperdout wrote:
I just made the dummies out of some steel roundstock lying around my school's shop, and machined a dimple in (just a flat piece won't connect). I was going to use 300 mah li-ions, but the people that I was gonna buy them from ran out, and don't seem eager to buy more. Runtime will take a major hit with these cells, but you can swap between li-ions and stock ni-mhs or alkalines, which I have not seen from anyone at all.
STEEL?!!?!!?

High carbon Steel will act more like a resister than a dummy. Aluminum is better and since electrons are only carried by the outside of metal you don't have to make a solid dummy. Make 2 pieces that will press together.
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

backdrift wrote:not kill a 1:10 lol.. most stock hi-po 1:10's do like 35 or 40mph. with li ions and a larger pinion u could hit that...
ok so, I definately have to go li-ion then. Luckilly (sp?) i have another xmod that just needs an EP so i can still race my little family.
But, I just want to be competitive with the stock 1:10 and be able to win at least 5/10 times with a flawless run. (blue gear + pinion? enough torque?)
Losing once in a while keeps you hungry.
Losing all the time makes you sad.
backdrift
bitGangsta'

Post by backdrift »

hmm well an xmod is hard to get the power to the wheels with a lot of torque.. try...
lock front and rear diff's with silicone or something
li-ions
a PNS04 ( http://jawdropracing.com/Motors.html )
front and rear cup jointsa mini-z or i waver body ( lighter )
alloy knuckles
umm thats pretty much it......
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

wouldn't locking the front diff cause massive amounts of understeer? But i understand what your're saying tho. The GPM, i'm sorting out. How do I strengthen the front cups?

Will I be able to controll the car? And what can be done about rolls?
backdrift
bitGangsta'

Post by backdrift »

buy front alloy cups, yes u will be able to control, yes the locked diff would cause understeer, but ur using tight turns
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Post by viperdout »

cj wrote:
viperdout wrote:
STEEL?!!?!!?

High carbon Steel will act more like a resister than a dummy. Aluminum is better and since electrons are only carried by the outside of metal you don't have to make a solid dummy. Make 2 pieces that will press together.
Yeah, steel. It was the only thing I can get my hands on for free. I'll be buying nice aluminum dowel and doing it right for production kits, if I can find a supplier (pain in the ass, as most small manufacturers are making prismatics, and GP only makes 1/3 AAA li-ions). The 2 piece idea is interesting, but I think I'll be going with a hollow dowel that just has enough wall thickness to machine the little lump in front. I still want to read up more on this before I do anything (don't want to sell li-ions kits that explode or don't work in some other way). Anyway, thanks for some of the pointers.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

hey, who remembers this?
i used to be cool
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I do.... :-)

Did it get attacked by a croc or something?

What's up? :???: