kicking my xmod up a notch

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Xmods line of RCs goes here.
HirotoR34
bitPimp

Post by HirotoR34 »

betty.k wrote:some measurements.

on the tamiya checker i'm getting 29kph with the 9t pinion.

i weighed the xmod body: 44.5g. the porshe body: 26g

my personal strength rating of the universal joints in the front axle: 4/10 :smile:
I believe that. I bent one of the front outer axle shafts the other day. The stupid part was the impact on the front wheel was very light. I slowed er down as much as I could and it still bent. If the body was on it at the time, it probably would have never happened. Anybody got spare AWD parts laying around, let me know. :-(
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

as a result of outdoor use and abuse i noticed that the holes in the chassis where the knuckles poke through get worn quickly. and the front end is sloppy enough new so i decided to do summink about it.
i found some brass eyelets like the ones used for shoelace holes and filed em down some so they didn't poke through the other side. i had to file out the inner diameter some to allow the knuckle to move freely. i just superglued them in place and it's another winner! :smile: really tight front end now, nice accurate steering.

so i'm still in a modding mood after that and i start eyeing off my spare chassis and i waver pcb :eek:

this is real easy to do. just take your time and plan it out. i studied this site before i started out. http://www1.bbiq.jp/ikinari/xmods/index.html

results? well the turning circle is increased from that of a resistor modded xmod but is better than a stock one. range is as good as an i waver (well duh!). and no more brake.
but it's the torque increase that amazed me! :smile: from my observations it seems that the iwaver pcb opens up the nelly more than an xmod's. and there's much less latency. when i hit that trigger the beast instantaneously drops a 4 wheel burnout! this never happened before.

but i honestly prefer the xmod pcb. it's the brake i miss. BUT if i get hold of a mr02 pcb i'll be set :cool:
Last edited by betty.k on Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
i used to be cool
HirotoR34
bitPimp

Post by HirotoR34 »

Is the reciever board on yo ride flipped up sideways? I looked at it a couple times and that's how it looks.
I see ol nelly sittin up top. I gots to get me one of those.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Eyelets!!! Fuckin' genius!!! :cool:
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

betty.k wrote:but i honestly prefer the xmod pcb. it's the brake i miss. BUT if i get hold of a mr02 pcb i'll be set :cool:
That's the reason I've been talking about doing this for so long but haven't actually done it... I love brakes. When the iwaver 02s come out I'll be ordering two(assuming they have brakes like MR02s...)... one to donate its pcb to my xmod, and one to keep the way it is... I'm also starting to think that the xmod servo will be getting ditched for a Futaba S3108...

That eyelet mod is pure genius, betty... I'll probably be swiping that one when I finally do everything I want to do(which will be a while since I want to have everything I'm using before I do it so I can just do it all in a weekend)
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

sg219 wrote:Eyelets!!! Fuckin' genius!!! :cool:

Agreed.... The simple "Not for sale" mods are my favorite.. That's brilliant betty...

Any chance of using the clicker thing on a ball point pen to cover the knuckle post so it's metal on metal?

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

yep, that's a sideways mounted pcb. there were inly 2 bits of plastic to remove in order to get it in. and the aerial slot in the top deck held it in nicely. to be sure i wedged a piece of foam between the pcb and servo to keep it clear of the driveshaft.
when i put the eyelets in i thought about removing the knuckle posts entirely and using the suspension mounting screws. but i assumed that i'd have no suspension travel as they're too short so i never bothered. and the fact that the worn knuckles i had fit fine.

after all this i've learnt how much i rely on a brake. my 1:10 has a brake and my bits can just slam into walls for all i care! :smile: i've also learnt that i wanna have 2 running xmods, an i waver/mr02 pcb'ed one for serious track time and and xmod pcb one for my main funtime backyard bitch.

when you absolutely positively gots to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitoot. the xmod is by far THE 1:28 base for modding into a killer rc :cool:

i rest my case.
i used to be cool
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i got a pic during the changeover. as you can see not much to it really :-)
i used to be cool
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

ok sorry for bringing this back up but...

I have been reading this post for a while, trying to decide what aftermarket parts i'm gunna get for my xmod. I am pretty decided on everything except the motor. I am going to buy from RCmart. But they only have the S02. i was wondering how this compares with the S03 and what types of speed I would get using an 11-tooth pinion and gear setup. I know i need a nelly to run it.

Also how do the PN motors compare with the Atomic Z2 motor?

I think i'm gunna stick with the stock battery setup too. Or should I go lithium? They are already ordered but i like my IC3 charging time.

Thanx guys
Maxx
backdrift
bitGangsta'

Post by backdrift »

PNS04 is best, PNS03 has great torque, same with 01+02..

I know people disagree, but i love all of my lithium set ups.. charge in 50 minutes ( 500mah charger ) usually less because they last for 45min on a stage 2.. but cant handle the pull of a plasma dash but does well with a S03
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i got lucky with the s03, i never tried other motors other than stock and x speeds. it impressed me and did (and still does) everything i want it to, massive torque and decent rpm's.

you can have plenty of fun with the 4 AAA setup, i've never seen a need to go lithium.
i used to be cool
backdrift
bitGangsta'

Post by backdrift »

ive seen the lithium and AAA argue constantly..
Pros and cons;
AAA -
pro - cheap, quickly recharged, dont easily blow up, long life, can run under 3 3 volts
con - short run times

Li-ion -
pros - higher voltage at half the size, long runtimes, keeps punch for a while
cons - can easily kill batteries if ran under 3 volts
and i said Li-Ion, not poly and for the fact Li-Ion's dont blow up easily, most of them have leak valves ( 3 on each end ) on the other hand, Li-Poly easily destruct and turn into a fireball if they arent takin care of to regulations..

And for this, i do not plan on starting a flame war on batteries.. i know u can go fast on 4 AAA's since i know someone ( xplictconcepts ) that has a 37mph xmod on 4 AAA using a custom motor and stacked FET's.. there are several people that wont leave AAA but give it a try Betty K. you will love the speed and punch that the batts put out, and if ur by any chance intrested i have 2 cells and a charger..
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

backdrift, betty's and (susequently) my point is that with the appropriate tuning, custom motor, twead eletronics, tuned drivetrain you can make a 4 cell xmod go faster than a stock xmod with li-ion on it any day....

this is the difference between idiot kiddies and true enthusiasts......

atomicmods has cashed in on the "my attention span is too short for real modding so here's a quick fix li-ion bat kit", and cashed in on it well. they have....

ph2t.
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.
backdrift
bitGangsta'

Post by backdrift »

that wasnt anywhere close to what i was trying to get threw.. Li-Ion is a good playform to use, and can handle hot motors and so can AAA's..

By far, that was not my point but AAA are pretty damn good and i was not picking sides, i just enjoy my li ions greatly.. See, you guys need to try them and i dont use them on stock xmods.. Most of the cars ive made run 35turn motors with neos or a Z1 modified which i loved, it was pretty much a S03
viperdout
bitGangsta'

Post by viperdout »

ph2t wrote:atomicmods has cashed in on the "my attention span is too short for real modding so here's a quick fix li-ion bat kit", and cashed in on it well. they have....
I will soon be too, except I'll be milling round stock into dummy AAAs and dropping in 2 li-ion AAAs with the 2 dummy ones. They are in extreme demand right now, especially from noobs (no idea why since they usually can't solder).

I guess my point is, li-ions are the easy way to speed. I personally prefer my alternative of dumping a Castle Creations Mamba 6800 in mine and scaring the shit out of unsuspecting Mini-Z drivers, but I kinda like driving my new Camaro (IC3s, Red S2 and Torque Thrust rims with the stock fat tires) more. Surprisingly, it's very nimble and can take corners at just about top speed without breaking a sweat (provided you're driving on a nice track or carpet). The brushless just is too damned fast most of the time, which is probably why I'll be trading it in soon for an AE RC18T with a Mamba.

No one can deny that a 4 cell car with a Nelly and either an S04 or Plasma Dash will own 95% of li-ion cars out there (except for something like Jshwaa's series/parallel setup with his h-bridge and S03). If I wasn't going to use this new Camaro as a tester for my solderless li-ion idea, it'd probably be an F50 MR02 with an S04 and a set of 14430 li-ions in it.