No More Drive Shaft

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Xmods line of RCs goes here.
sg219
bitPimp

No More Drive Shaft

Post by sg219 »

To eliminate the Drive shaft, I took Bird's idea and ran with it.

You need.....

Rear bearing carrier for drive shaft.

Bearing

Rear bevel gear

Front 2WD axle

Epoxy or JB Weld (I'm sure would work too)

1)Grab up a front wheel axle. One of the ones used with 2WD.

2)Remove the drive shaft and the rear shaft bearing carrier with bearing and the bevel gear.

3)Fire up your Dremel and grind down the end where you would attach the wheel to, (The threaded end.) Grind away till about 1/3 of the "D" shaped part is gone. You should have 2/3 of the "D" section left.

4)Try a test fit by inserting the ground down axle into the shaft hold down with the bearing in it and put the bevel gear on the other side. You should have a slight amount of play in it, between the plastic and the flat side of the axle part.

5)If all is well and you ground enough away and the "D" shaped end fits into the gear properly and passes thru the bearing carrier, now you can move onto making it permanent.

6)Take the gear back off and CAREFULLY put a drop or two of pre-mixed epoxy (YES, JBWELD will work too) into the bevel gear hole. CAREFUL NOT TO GET EPOXY IN BEARING!!!!!!! A small washer will help that. Then pass the axle thru the carrier with the bearing in it and place the gear on it.

7)Let dry. Make sure you didn't get any epoxy into the bearing. Spin it and if you can carefully. Just be careful how you set it down , as to not push the gear against the bearing. I might seem a bit repetitive, but unless you want to waste a bearing and a gear, be careful.

I would have taken pics, but those of you that know me, know that it would either be a waste of time for me to take them and you to look at. :-?

Maybe when I take the car apart again I will take a few shots for the hell of it. :cool:
Last edited by sg219 on Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

good idear.
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

hogjowlz wrote:good idear.
I'm a muthafuckin' genius I tell ya!!!

Bwahahahahahacoughcoughsputtercough...

I told you months ago that this was doable... I just don't have all of the massive xmod collection and ton of spare parts that 219 has.

All big-headed egotistical "I told ya so" shit aside... I'm just glad it works... When I gets my GPM shit, I'm going to have to order an extra set of the alloy front stubbies to do mine with... I figure the alloy will shave a few more grams off of it than the stock steel... plus, I have a few ideas cooking that might be more reliable/secure than glue/epoxy...

Or there's always the uber-innovative totally weightless hollow CF tubing driveshaft eliminator that I've thought up... I seriously gotta score some 3mm CF tubing so I can make that shit...

Now if only I had access to a CNC machine or a plastic casting setup... I could make my xmod suspension make-over idea a reality...
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I took my Xmod apart and remembered to take a pic. :cool: