Hi/Lo switch controller mod

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Xmods line of RCs goes here.
sat4life27
bitPimp

Hi/Lo switch controller mod

Post by sat4life27 »

This is a mod I have done to a few of my controllers and I have decided to share it with everyone. I just got done doing one for a friend and figured I would snap some pics and make a small how to. So here we go........

First you will need a few things.
1. small philips to take the controller apart
2. hobby knife and/or pair of needle nose pliers
4. soldiering gun, some soldier, and flux (if you have it)
3. some glue to help keep the switch in place (your choice)

and

The two important pieces, a small momentary switch (I rob'em form old PC cases), and a xmods controller.

Once you have everything ready... it is moddin time!!!

First things first, take it apart.
Here is the controller apart with the switch next to it. These fit perfectly inside.

Now you soldier the switch up to the switch on the cb like this. It don't matter what color wire goes where as long as you soldier them to the points as shown.

With that out of the way. You get get to trim up the location to put the switch.

Use a little glue to hold it in place and start to reassemble the controller. I should look something like this. The other half of the controller will need to be trimmed as well. Just line it up and see what needs to be trimmed and try to trim it as close as possible. I will aid the glue to hold it in place.

When the trigger is fully squeezed it will push the switch in and will switch to hi at full throttle. (like my ZEX kit, floor it and it engages)

Put it all back together and you are ready to go.

For this to function right leave the hi/lo switch on low. You can still run it on hi with no side effects as well.

To me it makes racing a little easier since I have a little better control going in and out of the corners but still have the power for the straights without having to fiddle with the switchs. Later pimps!!!!
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

Nice tut. i think ill try that this weekend. :-o
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

:-o looks fun :-)
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Nice and simple. One of the best things about this. :-o
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

i prefer the nitrous button better cuz u can hit it at any time u want rather than kicking it down. i like sliding sideways around corners every once in a while :lol: but it is just my opinion.
[]D [] []V[] []D
sat4life27
bitPimp

Post by sat4life27 »

hmmmm I don't understand what you mean. Kicking it down.... Ok maybe I should elaborate what I mean. You set the switch on low on the controller. While you are driving on low you decide you want to come around the corner and slide sideways all you have to do is pull the trigger full throttle and BAM!!!! it switches into hi. Same thing as a "nitrous button" (if there was such a thing). When you let off the trigger it goes right back into low gear for cruisin....

Now say you are riding around with on hi. When you floor it, nothing special happens cuz your already in hi.
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

sat4life27 wrote:hmmmm I don't understand what you mean. Kicking it down.... Ok maybe I should elaborate what I mean. You set the switch on low on the controller. While you are driving on low you decide you want to come around the corner and slide sideways all you have to do is pull the trigger full throttle and BAM!!!! it switches into hi. Same thing as a "nitrous button" (if there was such a thing). When you let off the trigger it goes right back into low gear for cruisin....

Now say you are riding around with on hi. When you floor it, nothing special happens cuz your already in hi.
what i mean by kicking it down is like a real car u can give it gas but once u pull the kickdown cable ur engine is now in full throttle. now for the nitrous button i think it is better because u can hit it anytime u want to slide sideways. i used the smaller button but here is the original thread,
http://www.microrccenter.com/forum/inde ... nos+button
[]D [] []V[] []D