Xmod Evo Truck Torque Mod

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Xmods line of RCs goes here.
ynad
bitNinja

Xmod Evo Truck Torque Mod

Post by ynad »

first, thanks to maxxitout from tinyrc. in part his mod helped me to get my head straight. :grin:
now the major part needed to complete this mod is GPM delrin/alloy gear for overlander. i'd say with this gear at hand my mod could be rated as VERY easy. tools needed are xacto knife and glue (mind your fingers)
here is the gear i used
pull alloy part out.
as the alloy part is not round it simplifies things a lot. as seen in the next pic
xmods gear is shaped to replicate that alloy part. also inner circle of xmods gear is cut wider
all of parts used. motor needs some shims to lift it to acomodate new larger gear. i cut motor mount to make room for motor. this way different pinion gears can be used. 6 tooth pinion is on it now
last part to fabricate is the arm to hold gear in place. i used piece of aluminum tube to provide needed space for the gear. glue two gears together, and screw arm in place tight.
this how it looks all put together
another look from the back. also can be seen black spacer on the knukle screw to give some lift and eliminate fender rub
shot of the front with red spacers for some lift as well as stetched 1Gen xmods hard springs
just remembered now, i forgot to take pics ot the the whole truck. it looks pretty good without lift kit and mud tires on it. shiming suspention and raising the body with use of Gen1 bushings gives enough lift ( yes it works fine) will update with pics.
after completing the mod i was surprised how much torque this thing got.
motor(stock) is screaming and is getting hot :???: can anyone tell me if its ok? i mean will the stock motor burn out quiker this way.
looks to me i got all covered. but if not clear, ask. :-)

EDIT: pics to show the lift
Last edited by ynad on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cj
Ex-Shack ZipPimp

Re: Xmod Evo Truck Torque Mod

Post by cj »

ynad wrote:just remembered now, i forgot to take pics ot the the whole truck. it looks pretty good without lift kit and mud tires on it. shiming suspention and raising the body with use of Gen1 bushings gives enough lift ( yes it works fine) will update with pics.
after completing the mod i was surprised how much torque this thing got.
motor(stock) is screaming and is getting hot :???: can anyone tell me if its ok? i mean will the stock motor burn out quiker this way.
looks to me i got all covered. but if not clear, ask. :-)
Looking and the condition of the gears I'd say they may be binding a little. Clean up the gears with a needle file and see how it does. Also check that you can fit the thinest of paper between the pinion and the gear. That will give you the best gear mesh.
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

Thanks for the tip, cj. I'll double check on the mesh. the white gear is all beat up from overlander abuse. at that time the alloy part was grinded down almost compleatly.
maxxitout

Post by maxxitout »

Wow, that looks great! Glad I could help motivate and that you gave the gear mod a try. I am going to put on a 6t pinion soon for a little more pull.
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

Welcome.
i'm glad too i got it done
:-o :-o
jpfrk

Post by jpfrk »

Ynad,
Where did you get the 33 tooth gear and the 6 tooth spur gear? Im looking on the Net as well as ebay. I can't seem to find it. Please Help :-?
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

both gears are for mini-z . 6T is from mini-z cars and te 33T is from overlander gpm gear (delrin + alloy) both can be purchased, but i don't know where :-)
jpfrk

Post by jpfrk »

thanks for the lead. I ended up picking up a 31 tooth so I can at least start my modifications. Down the road, they have alot of mini-z parts. On which part of the drivetrain did the 6 tooth come off of. All they had are 10 t thrue 15 t. I asked for a 33 t so hopefully next week they will have one waiting for me. I also picked up some scrap strip aluminum pieces in great shape. So im breaking out the Dremel and drill and start to grinding and cutting tonight. Wish me good luck. :-o
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

the 6T came out from the replacement pinion gear set.. i got that at LHS
tip: cut down screw mounts (gear box cover) they might get inthe way of larger spur gear. also my solution to hold gear in place is not the best one (it works, but could be worked out to be better)
with that overlander spur gear mod is no biggie, should be easy.
good luck :-)
jpfrk

Post by jpfrk »

well I finished the steering mod and had to remake the right side steering adapter and it finally works great.

The torque mod works great and I can climb about anything with the larger RS lift kit tires. Im still waiting on my larger super swampers. I used the block plate idea from another mod I saw on alother forum sight. I just hope I can locate a 33t gear and a 6t pinion gear. Right now im running a 31t to a 8t. That is giving me an 3.875:1 ratio. Before is was running 25t to 8t netting3.125:1 ratio. the 33t to 6t will take it down to a super crawl of 5.5:1 ratio.

Im running the stock xmod motor with no other motor hop ups, 1000MAH Batteries, Hot Racing Hubs w/bearings, Lockers front and rear(which gears it even lower), RS lift kit with pen springs in the front to get rid of sag. So Far So Good. Thanks to the support and TUT. I will post pics soon. 8-)
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

glad to hear. :-o can you post detailed pics of the steering mod?
jpfrk

Post by jpfrk »

my camera sucks or im just stupid with this new age techno stuff :? . The pics are not coming out clear. The steering mod is basically from 'Maxxitout'. That is on another website. Im sure you know where it is. I started out with plastic. Its working out fine, but when I have time, im going to upgrade to Aluminum. I Have some 7075 acft aluminum scrap strips from work im going to use. Anyways, Ill let you know how it turns out.
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

that's alright. i've seen his mod on tinyrc (you CAN say it here) but it wasn't all too clear to me, i'll look again.
if you would like, PM me and i'll try to help with your camera issues.
it would be very nice to see how you done this mod. even a fuzzy pic would be nice (i can upload to my gallery and post one here for others to see). credit will go to you of course.
i know of yet another person who is working this mod out and will post that one too.
jpfrk

Post by jpfrk »

im just going to break out the directions of my camera and read them. THe Camera is good for 7.2 mp. I just got to figure it out. I did get a 6 tooth pinion gear. I had to buy a bag full of four different ranges just to get the one I want. I finally tracked down the part Number for the overland gear kit to get the 33tooth gear. If it all works out, I will publish that part number. The part number for the 6 tooth kit is: MZW24/ name: SP Pinion Gear Set Delrin/ application: Mini-Z Racer Series. I hope that is some good info for you crawler Guys. :cool: