xmod evo, 7.4 volt lipo, xmod motor?

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Xmods line of RCs goes here.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

xmod evo, 7.4 volt lipo, xmod motor?

Post by Sporttracguy »

Ok pimps, maybe you can help me out here. I picked up an xmod evo for half off (great deal going on now at RS) and i put the upgraded RS motor in it with a 7.4v lipo and all wheel drive. The thing was fast but it seems to be slowing down quickly. (I dont have an FET upgrade (ive heard it can handle this voltage so i figured i didnt need it) When i hit the throttle the motor glows white (from the sparks inside) is this normal or is the upgraded xmod motor dieing? Is there a different motor i should be using (that doesnt require upgraded fets?

Thanks

STG
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

7.4 V at an RS motor shouldn't cause that, well at least no that I know of. Li-ions push 7.2v. Maybe you need a nelly, I see ph2t has an 11.1v xmod and his motor sparks like crazy. We'll wait till ph2t chimes in.

But I think you need a nelly. I've heard the EVO board can handle 7cell of NiMH but the power output of the lipos maybe the problem.

Maxx
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

the evo seems to handle the lipo just fine. when i fire up the evo with a fresh charge and a cool car she runs great but as the motor heats up the performance dies quickly. After a 6-7 minute run i can lick my finger and touch the heatsink and watch steam rise with a sizzle :shock: . cant imagine that amount of heat is good for the motor :???:

I wired up my nelly evo to the xmod and the power increased but the heat and performance issue is still there. (so are the white sparks 8-) ) As far as the motor goes, i either need a different motor or a better way of cooling it. Maybe wire in a fan like in my xray. Any motor suggestions or other ideas would be great.

At first i thought that the drivetrain may have been binding up or something, maybe causing un needed friction and resistance but with no motor the sucker spins like a dream. As soon as i put the motor in the drivetrain feels sluggish. The motor doesnt seem to spin as freely as it should.

STG
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

have you tried lubing the bushings?
maybe the endbell bushing is plastic and has melted a little from friction?
i used to be cool
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Try a BB can motor, like betty said, it may be friction within the motor itself.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Yeah, ive pretty much decided the motor is the problem. Nothing looks damaged as far as i can tell but it wouldnt be the first motor ive melted from the inside out lol. I ran the hell out of a stock rc18t motor to the point that plastic was oozing out the endbell. After i removed the plastic the thing never ran better lol (i only did this because i had a newer better motor to install that day and that was the best/funnest way i could think to retire the old one :-o )

At this point im thinking ill order some FETs and an so2 motor and be done with it. Any other motor suggestions?

STG
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

I've heard good things about the PN anima