Body Question

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Xmods line of RCs goes here.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Body Question

Post by BilboBaggins »

I was wondering if anyone here has tried to fit a 24th/25th scale plastic model body onto a xmod.

I have an idea on how to make the front slot and a place for a rear clip but before I spend the $10-15 bucks for a body I would like to know how much chopping and putty work I may be in for.

I've been looking at several older style models (early 50's to early 70's) and a couple of newer NASCAR models.

One's I've been tempted to try.
70's Superbird High Wing
50's Chevy, Ford
Dodge Ram

One's I'd love but may/would have trouble finding models.
AMC Javelin
AMC AMX
AMC Rambler
Plymouth Scamp (Dodge Dart Swinger)
Plymouth Duster (Dodge Demon)
Audi 5000 quattro (either Trans-Am or Rally)
Subaru Brat
Avanti
Dodge Power Wagon
Any Panel Delivery Van

One's I don't think I can fit the chassis under the body.
40-41 Willies coupe or Pickup
54 Studebaker
41 Plymouth

Any help would be appreciated.

Hmmm. I wonder if I still have that 63 Rambler Wagon in my slot car box I used to drag race with. Now that would be funny.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

to give you an idea, here's a pic of my old gen 1 xmod with a 1:24 mini x lexan body (subie wrx) over it.

as you can see it was far too big, i even had the wheels flipped and the longest wheelbase settings.

so you'll need to mod the chassis or find a small body like a mini cooper.
i used to be cool
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

I looked at lexan 24th scale slot car bodies first. I pulled out my old slot car bodies that fit the Flexicar (4 inch wheelbase) and extedned flexicar chassis (4.5 inch). I knew 4.5 inch wheelbase ones were too big (long) and the 4 inch stock car bodies looked like semi Phat Cars. Not quite flat enough or scale enough for me. The Nascar truck ones might work on a mini x but I'm not investing in one of those chassis at this time to find out.

The hard body models seem to be a little smaller in scale and might work. I'm going to find some old models I have sitting around to see how they line up.
sat4life27
bitPimp

Post by sat4life27 »

aww shit that reminds me, I have a old nascar truck body stuffed away in a box somewhere. I haven't played with them in years since the only slotcar track within 110 miles closed down back in the late 90's. :???:

Come to think of it I think I have a old outlaw modified body too. I am going to have to hunt them down.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Do you have any more slot car stuff , I love the bigger slot cars. they fit "up thier" bedderImage
1000+ post of BS.
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

SHAUN wrote:Do you have any more slot car stuff , I love the bigger slot cars.
Loads.

Mainly older stuff.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

I just bought a Porsche 959 kit by Tamiya, and it is an exact match in both width and wheelbase to a mini-z MR02 RM (which is the same as the MA010 all-wheel drive mini-z, where that body will go eventually, since the Porsche 959 is the most badass all-wheel drive car ever made).

I'm mentioning this only because it seems that 1:24 - 1:28 scale models aren't always perfectly accurate as far as scale goes, and you really just need to buy the kit to check it out. As far as the xmods mounting, I wouldn't worry so much about the front and rear clips being a perfect fit, as there are other good ways to mount a body to a chassis.