dumb gen 1 questions

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Xmods line of RCs goes here.
sidewinder
bitProphet

dumb gen 1 questions

Post by sidewinder »

OK, I've had two xmod evos but I never had one of the gen 1s' until yesterday. I picked up one from a garage sale where the kid had torn it completely down planning a ground up custom. Obviously he never did anything, and he never could figgure out how it went back together. So, I managed to figgure out the assembly and it runs, the steering servo is a but slow (maybe that's just a gen 1 thing) but other than that it works great.

Now I have decided its unique design will fit a body I've been working on better than the gen 2 I was preping. If I shorten it to the shortest position it even has the right wheelbase (a freaking perfect fit without messing with it!) BUT the damned drive shaft is too long. If I plan on keeping it 2wd can I just hack off the extra lenght with a dremil or am I overlooking something obvious?

Next, is there a reason for the top "brace" that conects the fron suspension to the chassis? It doesn't seem to add any rigidity at all.

and one final--for now--question, does anyone know how much power that board (those boards) will handel before I risk cooking them? :? thanks
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

ok well for a driveshaft, it would be a good idea to pick up a short one. I've seen them in CF and titanium (not sure on the titanium one).

The main thing you have to watch out for is the stock shaft has flat spots for the spur gears. If that slot is off, the spur will have tons of slop.

If you hack off the stock one, the shaft may not be long enough to reach the front shaft bushing and would wobble like nuts inside. There's a mod out where they've used a wheel pin from the stock car and used that as a subtitute.

Now the servo in Gen1's are okay but they're coupled with some really crappy control circuitry. replace that with something of the quality of a Mini-Z and the servo will have the extra resolution and movement you need.

I just removed the front plate in my xmod because it doesn't really do much.

and the stock board can take the voltage of two li-ions (8.4v fully charged) without blowing.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

1000+ post of BS.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Cool thanks guys! :-o This should make life a little easier.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand