How To: Properly Drift

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Xmods line of RCs goes here.
jordanQ
bitPlaya'

How To: Properly Drift

Post by jordanQ »

I for one would just adore a topic on which to drift without just spinning out

AKA: Controlled Drifting!

i thought that some people would be nice enough to post some of they're tips on drifting. I had searched on the subject and realized that no-one had made one (atleast not that i knew of)
So yeah.

i had just bought a awd kit and drift tires so and google wasn't any help niether.

Thanks in advanced.

(keep in mind this is for EVERYONE not just my own benefit)

Thanks
frizzen is a friend of mine
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I'm not sure 've ever seen anyone really drift an Xmod sucessfully. It seems like if you overcome the lack of power by going with one of the aftermarket motors you'd still lack the control to really nail a drift. You might try the PVC tire thing...Where you get pvc tubing the same i.d. as the wheels and cut some rear "tires" out of them. Then look for smooth concrete or slick flooring. I'd try to break the back end loose buy cutting power completely as I turned, then as you feed in the opposite lock squeeze the throttle to steer. :???: Maybe if I get some time I'll give it a shot...I keep you posted. Good luck. :-o
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
jordanQ
bitPlaya'

Post by jordanQ »

Thanks! :-)
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I hope it helps...Damn, I just scared myself with my new icon.:shock: I may have to think about changing it again.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Really sidewinder, that new icon just isn't you........

As for drifting, its pretty hard with a xmod. Get a Micro RS4 or the new HPI E10 RTR drift car, you will have a lot of fun.

Used Micro RS4................... 45.00-70.00
New HPI E10 RTR................ 159.99

I have both, how ever my E10 is still in shipment, I've been drifting a Micro rs4 for about 1 and a half years. Lots of fun, and pretty cheap.
1000+ post of BS.
jordanQ
bitPlaya'

Post by jordanQ »

I might as well post this here.

WHAT THE FUNK IS WRONG WITH MY XMOD!

The stupid P.O.S. Whenever i try to drift, if i turn the slightest bit left and give it half throttle it spins out.

IF I CRANK THAT BITCH TO THE RIGHT AND GUN IT! IT JUST GOES STRAIGHT IF NOT LEFT!

What the hell! I can not get it to drift right! It just.. it ....it won't!!!

And i am about to throw it against the fricken wall!

Thanks!

:)
jordanQ
bitPlaya'

Post by jordanQ »

Sorry shaun i clicked reply before you posted that But umm i was kinda just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to drift what i already have (not recommendations for something else)

but thanks anyways! :-)
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

Check your drive shafts sounds like you have either a broken shaft or a wheel bushing/bearing not spinning correctly. Do you have your back diff locked?
1000+ post of BS.
jordanQ
bitPlaya'

Post by jordanQ »

Yes the back diff is locked

Wow shaun is it really you?

I guess i take back the mean things that i always said

civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

if the rear is locked then it sounds like maybe hair in front left tire.
[]D [] []V[] []D
jordanQ
bitPlaya'

Post by jordanQ »

ohh ok thanks i'll check.

Do you think i should lock my front diff.?

Thanks again

:)
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Shaun wrote:
Really sidewinder, that new icon just isn't you........
Yeah, I know...I was practicing doing faces and the whole Halloween thing got me going...I guess I need to work on something new.

JordanQ, after you check to make sure eveything is turning freely try moving the batery box to the back setting. you might play with some rear weight just behind the axle, dead center and as low as posible. play with different weights. remember at this scale a few ounces is like hundreds of pounds. If it spins too easily move the weight to just in front of the axel. You can make custom shapped weights by using plastc wrap and BB's, tape it well though, they're a pain to chase around the floor.
jordanQ
bitPlaya'

Post by jordanQ »

P.S. new problem, the tie rod screws stick out to far when the slicks/drift tires are on, any fixes?

(I'm not retarded :aka: yes, they are tightened all the way)

Thanks again guys! :-) :-o
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

I had the same problem. I found some screws that were similar, but shorter. Only problem was the Suspension had very little flex.
1000+ post of BS.
jordanQ
bitPlaya'

Post by jordanQ »

Alright, back to the servo.

I don't know how to disassemble the front end assembly or anything!

I would also just like to take a second and thank everyone that has helped me through this and unleashed the true purpose of this forum.

Bitpimps helpin' Bitpimps! :)