IWaver01 - Reverse function question...

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

IWaver01 - Reverse function question...

Post by PimpFloyd »

I converted an old XMod over to an IWaver-01 board. I don't have the IWaver TX so I'm using a Traxxas TQ or I can also use my Losi Micro-T TX.

Given all that - should I be able to go into reverse? I know it's sort of a stupid question but because I have no experience with the IWaver up to this point and don't have the IWaver TX, I thought I'd better ask before I go on some kind of witch hunt.

As far as the conversion goes, I do have decent steering and forward control - just no reverse from either TX.

I may decide not go on ANY witch hunt seeing that I have an IWaver 01 board that has 75% functionality - I guess they're not known for their quality.

Anyway - any clue for the clueless would be much appreciated :-)

Happy New Beer, Pimps! :-D
betty.k
bitPimp

Re: IWaver01 - Reverse function question...

Post by betty.k »

the iwaver board should have reverse, the reverse fets may be blown.
i used to be cool
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

Thanks BK...actually, after another inspection I found some "junk" between one of the FET pins...I don't think it was solder but it might of been some spooge picked up by the silly putty I was using to hold the board while making solder connections...

Anyway - I buttoned her up again and shazaam...I have reverse!

I NEVER get this lucky so I'm just gonna call it a New Years miracle since it happened at two in the morning :-)

Basically this conversion a fun driver but my steering radius is suffering. I noticed that the XMod pot is about 2-3K ohms different (less) than the pot that came with the IWaver board. I'm thinking I might gain a little more turning throw by adding a couple 1K-2K resistors in series with the two pot connections - like the mod for the Gen 1 XMods...

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again and happy New Year to you!
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

from memory, there isn't much steering in the xmod to begin with. the steering pot is the same value as an iwaver/mini z (5kohm).

the problem is more mechanical. i forget what i did but i remember some serious shaving.

here's my experience with the whole deal:
http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpFo ... =38&t=4735
i used to be cool
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

Thanks Betty...Interesting read. I now realize after noting the date on that thread that I'm pretty much 7 years behind all of humanity when it comes to RC...oh well, ignorance is bliss.

I suppose if I wanted to catch up I'd need a DNano...even the Mini-Z is somewhat passe.

I guess still enjoy the XMods at the moment - if you screw one up or pile-drive it into a concrete wall you don't have post mortum depression.

;-)