Gulf Porsche 962

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Gulf Porsche 962

Post by SuperFly »

As long as I can remember, I've been fascinated with prototype cars. My earliest memories of favorite Hot Wheels were all late 60s Lemans cars. I was/am kind of obsessed with the Gulf GT-40, and Steve McQueen's #20 917 from the movie "Lemans"

Since I was mixing custom paint, I did an Audi R8 GT3 as well

Once I got about 3 coats down, I added the decals. They came from Patto's Place, and they're a little hit and miss with regards to fit. They're waterslide, but I think I got them to sit pretty good. This car is going to get driven, not a shelf queen, so I want it to be nice, but I'm not going to obsess over it.

I wanted it to be as pretty on the inside as out, so it's a MR03 VE Pro GP limited chassis, and a PN 5500kv motor, V2. I can't stand all the wires and plugs that come stock on a brushless, so I soldered the motor wires in, using really flexible 22ga silicone wire (in gulf colors, of course). I managed to find a set of Porsche LM wheels and kyosho hi-grip LM tires for a better scale look, and they work just fine on rough-side RCP. Per Herman and a few other's advice and posts, I dremeled out the ridges where the body clips mount, and mounted them a little higher inside the body than stock. This gives it a real nice fit around the wheel wells, but I don't have enough room under the body for an oil spring. No matter, it drives great with just the disc damper with PN #4 T-plate and heavy springs in the damper.

Here it is, thought I better get some good pictures before I beat the crap out of it. Details painted and glued on, 2 coats of Future airbrushed on, body clips mounted. I cut gloss black electrical tape to somewhat scale width to tape down the headlight lenses like back in the day.

If anyone wants to part with one of those custom 962 kyosho bumpers, I'll buy it from you!

frizzen
bitDisciple

Re: Gulf Porsche 962

Post by frizzen »

Those really look great!

I always loved the Gulf livery, and it really looks killer on your 917!
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'