Lexan for my Iwaver monster

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
crazydave
bitPimp

Lexan for my Iwaver monster

Post by crazydave »

I looking to replace the cheap poly-carbonate body that came with my 04. Plenty of 1/24th scale Lexan bodies out there, but finding a truck was a little tricky. I had ordered a Beetle Mini-X body from TinyRC, thought that'd be a funny monster, but I'm not sure where it's at, and I've grown impatient, so I went looking again.

Found NCPHobbies, they have tons of 1/24th scale bodies. Parma makes Dodge Chevy and Ford Oval truck bodies that should work good, but they also have a '97 Ford. They're available in .10 and .15 thicknesses and it's Parma, so you know it's good Lexan.

I just ordered me one, here's the catalog page with the Parma truck bodies

Parma 1/24th Lexan Bodies
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Sdog
bitPimp

Post by Sdog »

Damn...no pics....but the prices look good.
BOURBON TIME OUT!
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Yeah, can't go wrong at $4, but shipping is a fixed $6, so might as well find something else to order. :lol:

No pics on the Parma web site either, but there it states it has a 4.5" wheel base. The 04 has about a 4.125" wheelbase. I figure with some creative wheel well trimming to accomodate the monster wheels, it could work out pretty good.

The Parma site sells this body prepainted and trimmed. I didn't check the price.
http://www.parmapse.com/sritem.asp?n=01124CP

I might have gone for that, except, you know, I like to paint. These bodies come with window mask, but some decals would be nice. Detailing lights and grills is a bitch on Lexan. I always just black them out. :lol:
crazydave's Gallery
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

Those Parma bodies sound like they are for the 24th scale slot cars. The 4.5 inch wheel base fit's their long (NASCAR) chassis and the 4inch one fits their flexi-car chassis. I have a few Slot car bodies floating around my house so when I do break down an get an iwaver or X-mod I'll have fun seeing what fits.

I would love to see if the 60's Lotus, Lola and Chapperel High wing bodies I loved running with my slot cars will work. I don't think the Lotus will because it's a LOW body with little room under it.

How big are the tires on the Mini-Z and X-Mods? I used to 7/8inch tires on my Slot car with the Truck/NASCAR bodies on them.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Hmm, you know the Mini-Z is actually 1/25th scale, if I can find one with a 4" wheelbase that might be better. Xmods would be a lot harder to fit a slot car body on as they are 1/28th scale. Not sure how big the wheels are.
crazydave's Gallery
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

Dave, check this out, man... that Tahoe seems like it might be what you are seeking...

http://ripper7racing.com/forums/index.p ... c=2420&hl=

This dude's legit, too... I've been following his work with overlands on MZR for some time now...
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Say, those looks pretty nice, but I've already got a Beetle and Ford on the way, so I better tone down on ordering bodies, so I can start spending some money to make this thing go faster too. :lol:
crazydave's Gallery
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

crazydave wrote:Hmm, you know the Mini-Z is actually 1/25th scale.
Acctually the xmods are the same scale as the mini-z. and thats 1/28th. The link bird posted is sweet tho.
Seriously concidering getting one. I'd really like an impreza :eek: .

Body posts will be easy to make. just get them to screw into the front and rear decks replacing the screws found there and drill holes to line up.
I hope they're cheap i'd like 2:)
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Well, NCP Hobbies is dissin' on me. It's been a week. They have not charged my card, and have not replied to my emails.

Sooo, I'm going for that Tahoe. Thanks Bird, I'm actually getting excited about this. It's gonna remind me of a mini version of my Stampede. Looks like I'm gonna have to gets me some more Cheezoom Teal paint.
crazydave's Gallery
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Well I guess the saying, "When it rains, it pours" would come into effect here.

Ive been trying to get a body for my Iwaver since a couple days after Christmas. First TinyRC misplaced the Mini-X bodies in the wharehouse. They were cool about it, and kept me informed what was up, but meantime I ordered the Parma F-150 body from NCP Hobbies. They didn't process my order for over 2 weeks ignored my email, and apparently ignored my email asking them to cancel. Finally just last week I ordered a Tahoe body from Dog Breath Racing, everything started to show up.

I ordered the Tahoe body on Wednesday, recieved my Beetle on on Thursday. Got billed for the Parma body on Friday, and recieved it Saturday. (They just sent it out on Thursday, over 2 weeks after I placed my order, Fuck you NCP Hobbies). And now, the body I just ordered last week is already here. That's more like it, but now I got a pile of bodies. :roll: :lol:

So here they all are.

On the left is the Mini-X beetle, already painted and trimmed. It's been mounted up and it looks good, but it is cheap polycarbonate, only it is thicker than the Iwaver body, and seems much more durable. It comes with cheap paper sticker paint mask. Ditch 'em and make your own.

Next over is Dog Breath Racing's Chevy Tahoe body. This is a guy from Ripper7 racing, that you saw Bird post a link to earlier. The body is made of crystal clear, .040" thick Lexan, so it's very durable, but the quality is less than professional. Some surface imperfections, and many bubbles. Details are not not crisp, and will be a bitch to mask, but overall not a bad body, and I appreciate someone taking the time to make it.

Last on the far right is the Parma Ford F-150 slt car body. It is made of very thin and light weight .015" Lexan. It seems like it should be fairly durable, but it is probably the mostl likely of the bunch to get broken. Details and quality of molding is everything you'd expect from Parma, though there are not many details. It is slab sided with no wheel well markings, making it easy to make your own wheel wells with monster sized radiuses. It is a tad longer than the others, and I will probably save it for when I extend my chassis. (which shouldn't be too hard with a few small parts.)

So there you have it. It took me a few bucks, and I didn't mean to get so carried away, but I think that gives you a good idea of what's out there for your Iwaver04, or Mini-Z monster.

I'm getting ready to mask the Tahoe body right now. :-D
crazydave's Gallery
arch2b
bitThug

Post by arch2b »

dogbreathracing over on mzr is making lexan shells for monsters/overlands. he currently has an h2, blazer and tahoe available. i believe they are something like $7.50 each
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

arch2b wrote:dogbreathracing over on mzr is making lexan shells for monsters/overlands. he currently has an h2, blazer and tahoe available. i believe they are something like $7.50 each
Those are great shells. I should be able to see some in person soon.

Bird just picked up the Tahoe and the Blazer. Can't wait to check them out.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

arch2b, thanks for the info, but I guess you didn't read my last couple post, and notice that I ordered one of those too.

Anyways, I had to get the Blazer too, and it's perfect for the monster's chassis.

I guess I should post links to the finished bodies in this thread for reference.

The Mini-X Beetle:

The Tahoe:

The Blazer:
(click on thumbs to visit the topic)
crazydave's Gallery
arch2b
bitThug

Post by arch2b »

yep, i missed it.

i love what you did with the tahoe :eek: