New Plasmatomic motor tutorial!

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

yeah, works fine. does make the mosfets pretty hot. I never geared it higher than 9/23, didn't want to risk the stock mosfets. I blew 'em a week later, lol...

see here:

http://www.xmodsforum.com/modules.php?n ... pic&t=2982

ph2t.
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

Well, I gave my plasma-atomic motor a thorough test run last night. I have to say the results were staggering.

Test car;
3X2 stack 7317 fets and stock AAA batteries.

First I tried it with an 11 tooth pinion. Top speed was really good, but it seemed to take a little while to get up to speed. Better than a stage 2 of course, but not what I was thinking this motor should do. I'm sure if I throw in some lithium batteries this would not be the case. The extra voltage would probably give it the extra push it needed. The fets and motor were getting pretty hot too.

Then I changed the pinion to a 10 tooth. All I could think was HOLY SHIT! It got the extra torque it needed all right. and the top speed seemed higher than with the 11 tooth pinion. The car started sounding a little like a jet at top speed too. The motor was a little warm, but the fets stayed cool. Just how I like it. The batteries get drained faster of-course, but not too fast.

The plasma-atomic motor with 3X2 7317 fets, 10 tooth pinion, and stock AAA is a hot combination.

I was thinking about putting some lithium ions in, but I like the way this car is performing so much, I think I'll stick with the nimh's. I'll save my the lithiums for another car.

I would recomend this motor to anybody. I'll definately be making some more.

Thanks PH2T. You have once again made me a happy pimp. 8-)
Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

How would i go about setting up 3 103 caps on a plasmatomic?

Maybe one from + contact to the side of the motor and one from - contact to the side of the motor and then one across both terminals???

The reason i ask is steering and throttle can get quite glitchy at times when im running my z.
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

I will say yes, because that's what I've seen before. Just curious, why? Do you really need that? I've got one of these in a MR-02 and another in a Gen 1 Xmod. The MR-02 seems to have some interference problems once in a blue moon, but it hasn't concerened me. I figure if motor noise was a problem, then it would be happening more.
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

HACHI-RYOKU wrote:I will say yes, because that's what I've seen before. Just curious, why? Do you really need that? I've got one of these in a MR-02 and another in a Gen 1 Xmod. The MR-02 seems to have some interference problems once in a blue moon, but it hasn't concerened me. I figure if motor noise was a problem, then it would be happening more.
Yeah i have a shitload of interference.

Might be a loose pot contributing to some of it though, but its still there.
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

Sounds like a loose cap. Check that solder joint. I'm not happy until I can't pull it off. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it to stay on. You can also wrap the cap's wire around the terminal and then solder it. That helps. It also makes it more secure for those car seeking walls.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

Tuner1989 wrote:How would i go about setting up 3 103 caps on a plasmatomic?

Maybe one from + contact to the side of the motor and one from - contact to the side of the motor and then one across both terminals???
correct. same applies for any rc motor generally speaking. there are other ways but that's the best.

hachi's probably right, check the joins.
if it still screws you around solder a 10v electrolytic cap (minimum 300uf) across the battery terminals observe correct polarity!
i used to be cool
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

I read the tutorial, but you didn't say what to do with the end bellbearing in the atomic can. After you gouge the endbell do you put the bearing back in? or just toss it?
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

yeah, put it back in. It's sorta common sense, but you're right. I need to make that point clearer. Just being lazy......... :cool:
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.