Hopping up My Iwaver Monster

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
crazydave
bitPimp

Hopping up My Iwaver Monster

Post by crazydave »

Well, a grinding in my gear box when reversing, finally got me hopping up the speed in my 04. I deduced the problem to be bushing slop. I figured a set of bearings would fix my problem. I was only gonna get them from ToyEast because they had the oil shocks for the 04, but when I went to order they were out of the shocks. I went ahead and got the bearings there, because I could get the Xspeed for $.99. They also had some AAA NiMHs for $5 a set. My RS batteries are starting to dog out, so I went for that along with new gears and gearbox, since they were only a couple bucks a piece.

After rebuilding the rearend, and installing the motor and bearings, not only did it solve my problem, but it was kicking some ass.

I'd like to comment on the difference in the motor, but I'm not sure how much was the motor, or how much was the batteries, and bearings. My Rs batteries were apparently more shot than I thought. I went from a 20 minute runtime with the stock motor, to 40+ (It's still punching, but I just felt like quitting :lol: ), and that's with this obviously faster motor. It is a hot motor. It got the chassis pretty hot, and the motor itself was steamin' half way through the run.

It was just all around better, more punch off the line, a nutty midband, and I was unable to wind it out to top speed inside my apartment, but whenever I approached it, I would usually end up flipping it. I was able to roll it all the way over and keep going, and pull out corners on one wheel. It was pretty sick. Not a bad investment for about $30 shipped.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

it's a shame you missed the oil shocks, they make a huge difference in the bumpy stuff. soon you'll be complaining about how you broke the front shock mount :eek:
i used to be cool
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Yeah, I really want those oil shocks... I'll be back.

I hoping they help tame the extra speed. The throw rug that was just a minor bump before, now sends it flying.

I'm kinda hoping the extra speed breaks stuff so I have excuses to by shiny metal parts, but it's too much fun now, so I'm not looking forward to any downtime. :lol:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"