7.4V li-poly eeeemmmmmaaaaarrrrroooootooooooo

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
ph2t
bitPimp

7.4V li-poly eeeemmmmmaaaaarrrrroooootooooooo

Post by ph2t »

I've been meaning to do a car like this for a while. The trouble of finding the right set of li-poly batteries to fit the dimensions of the battery holders was the main design challange I faced. In the end I did find some batteries and I have now a working chassis.

This mr02 smokes! lol....

In the pic below you can see the setup in it's pre-racing, "just wired up" state.

Sitting right up the front is my new Nelly Deluxe turbo, yum! The motor is one of my Plasmatomics (of course!), running with neo magnets for now. 24AWG silicon wire all the way around. You might think it quite thin for the application, but it works a treat.

My first set of li-poly batts I tried were based on set of ETEC HP 450mah batts. These had some good dimensions but are a tad long for the chassis so I needed to move the hplate into the middle notch in the chassis. Given that this is a MM chassis I will need to do some hacking to fit a shell on it. So far it's running naked! lol....

In the pic below you can see how I dremeled out the battery compartments.

Here's the current ETEC batteries, like my "saddle" pack? lol...

Since Nelly deluxe regulates the power to 5V for the RX, both the signal wires and the 5V wires are routed to the RX PCB through a small, rectangular hole in the front. The li-poly pack connects directly to Nelly Deluxe using some dean's micro plugs. The motor is connected directly to Nelly.

To swap out the batteries all I do is remove the oil shock from the motor side and swivel it off to the side. The batteries come out quite easily.

Here's some more pics showing the setup.

So far I haven't had much of a chance to try it out. I've got it running a 6t pinion at the moment. Needless to say that even with the 6t I have no room to really open it up and it's raining today.... arghhh....

On the speedchecker I'm getting 45kph with a 6t and plasmatomic (neo config). That's petty good considering that the same setup with 4 cells yields 29kph. It's a 50% increase in speed basically. It's also VERY light, given that the li-poly is a lot lighter than 4 AAA cells.

Anyways, that's enough for now. I'll get some video when I can, you won't be dissapointed, lol...

The next step is to get my other Powerquest 600mah lipo's going. These lipo's will be just sweet for this setup. They are shorter and will enable me to use a stock mr02 chassis without any mods and then I can use the stock battery covers to hold the buggers in.

I also need a ball diff, a proper motor mount(PN racing or Atomic alloy MM). I hate using spacers to get a fine gear mesh. The screw mounting method of the atomic and pn racing MM mounts is superior for fine tuning that mesh.

Stay tuned!

Expect Nelly deluxe within the woahnelly.com shop soon!

ph2t.
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

*drool* Nelly Deluxe *drool*

All you need now is a set of Alloy Rims to roll that thing around on. :-)
stagg
bitGangsta'

Post by stagg »

That's awsome, it looks real fast, as it is. What body are you going to add to it?
haha :-D it took me like 3minutes to get your title.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I like how nice and low those sit in the chassis. Should give you a handling advantage along with the extra speed.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

let's face it, it's gonna be a goddamn rocket!! :shock:

enjoy it while you can, i'm hot on your heels muthafucka!! (got a charger that does lithiums now :smile: )
i used to be cool
HirotoR34
bitPimp

Post by HirotoR34 »

awww yeah!!!!!! Got my wallet ready..... Nice work ph2t!
JDM-R34
bitGangsta'

Post by JDM-R34 »

Nice Werkz! Hottness! :tired: haha,
Very Pimp
DRIFT HAPPENS
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

Got my new clear blue chassis in the mail today so I could now finally put it on and get rid of the butched one you see in my previous pictures. This setup has several advantages over the initial setup.

1) I'm using 600mah powerquest 12C discharge lipo's vs. the 450mah Hi-Tec's.
2) These lipos fit in the AAA battery bays!
3) The chassis is intact and I can finally put a shell on, lol..
3) The hplate is now back in the shortest position (stock MM)...
4) Using 1deg camber steering knuckles
5) Using 1deg toe-in tierod.
6) Lipo pack weighs 26grams, a set of four AAA nimhs weighs 49 grams!

I use softer front suspension springs now, due to the decrease in battery weight.

The camber helps the chassis hold the corners, I may put in an ultra-thin atomic h-plate I have to see if it will allow me to increase my speed through cornering.

The diff is very slippery, otherwise I just spin out. A ball diff is a must in this setup.

With the 6t pinion it's soo fast it's not funny. I'm going to swap out the neo magnets for ferrite ones soon to see if this helps. I could realistically reduce the torque on this.

Here's some pics, notice the knew lipos are thicker yet shorter, making this chassis way more viable.

The shell is a Mclaren F1 MM shell. A great handling shell. I painted this one red and removed the rear (easily broken) wing. Bogged up a lot of holes/depressions, etc....

Soon I'll have some video, I promise! lol...

Cheers,

ph2t.
mod_o_matic
bitThug

Post by mod_o_matic »

:eek:

Great work!...Is this a mr02 electronics or some iWaver guts? Like did you have to do any resitor mod that LBRC had to do to his li-ion iWaver...
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

It's proper kyosho electronics. Nelly deluxe has an inbuilt 5V regulator for the rx pcb so everythings sweet in the steering dept.

ph2t.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

She's so purdy, even with her top off.
And she's a screamer I'll bet.
Innuendo's aside, that is killer man.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

lol, thanks pimp...
mod_o_matic
bitThug

Post by mod_o_matic »

ph2t wrote:It's proper kyosho electronics. Nelly deluxe has an inbuilt 5V regulator for the rx pcb so everythings sweet in the steering dept.

ph2t.
For got it was a deee-lux!

Any action pics yet?

And suggestion...try a lock diff outside just to have some fun :D And peeeeel those tires!
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

a locked diff is no good on this setup, trust me. it just torque spins like crazy....
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

yeah, even with the slippy diff it still spins like mad!

the crazy thing is you could use 4 of these cells and they're still lighter than 4 aaa's! :shock:

i've seen it up close and it's a smooth install. and incredibly powerfull. he's currently running a 6t pinion and i'm confident he could go up to a 14t without sacrificing torque at all!! :eek:

what i'm trying to say here is this bitch could melt a speed checker! :lol:
i used to be cool