Little Girl Named Nelly

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Little Girl Named Nelly

Post by LBRC »

Why live in a box, open the lid stick your head out and take a look around if you don’t like it you can always crawl back in and close the lid.

Decided to give Ph2t’s Whoa Nelly a try, took a few liberties mounting it, decided to crawl further out of the box and put a foam damper on it, then threw in a few hidden goodies like ABEC-5 bearings, and a custom rebuilt differential with ceramic balls.
If you think it looks pigeon-toed, that’s because it is by 0.5 degrees, for high speed runs on concrete.

Still haven’t decided on the final body yet but took her out to play with the big boys this weekend dressed in yellow, but the party got rough and her dress got a little missed up.
Next party is one of those formal affairs on carpet so she’ll have to change her shoes, walk straight, and wear some fancy Italian getup. The boys may like her but I bet their mothers won’t.
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

:eek: looks like u got yourself a bonified racer!
[]D [] []V[] []D
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

So um, how'd she like getting "nellied" and playin with ceramic balls?
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

The boys may think she’s a hot piece of trash and flash, but the truth is she’s one hard cold calculating bitch. Sure her motor and batteries may get hot, but if you look close she’s always cool and in control.

She do like hard balls though.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Doesn't the toe out cause the front end to wander at high speeds? I was always taught more toe in would improve straight line tracking, and less for better cornering, but I was racing dirt tracks, don't know if that makes a difference.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

I thought I remembered my old ass RC10 having some toe out.
I was right.

I don't ever remember it wandering, but shit that was like in the mid to late 80's :lol:
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Hmmmm, now you guys got me all confused. :?

I know what I know, and if you change what I know, then that might throw off the balance of everything, and my brain might short circuit. :lol:
crazydave's Gallery
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Wow vintage RC, heavy metal from the day.

I’d already tried toe in and different cambers on high speed Z’s without much success, so I gave the toe out a try to see if it would help and it appears to be working.

Toe in will help the car track. What I’m thinking is that on a rough surface (to a 1/28 scale car) it also throws the weight forward causing the car to plow-in or take a slight nose dive, while the toe out helps tracking slightly by adding front end resistance and tends to throw the weight back onto the rear wheels so the front hops but since the car is bouncing like a bunny anyway you appreciate anything that keeps the rear wheels down. For steering while the toe in causes slight under steer the toe out should cause overseer but on larger tracks at high speeds the turns are wide so the weight on the back wheels outweighs any over steer problem. Wild speculation on my part.
Last edited by LBRC on Fri May 13, 2005 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Makes sense to me. 8-)

Thanks for explaining. :-)
crazydave's Gallery
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

toe in improves steering precision, better cornering.
toe out improves straight line stability.
that's on the front, on the rear toe in reduces rear end squat under throttle.
i used to be cool