Looks like Iwaver is changing

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
crazydave
bitPimp

Looks like Iwaver is changing

Post by crazydave »

I was on the Iwaver website, and the 04 looks totally different. Looks like it has a better body, but it also has asome tacky looking wheels, and a big ol front bumper like some kind of Nikko car. the front shocks are also repositioned.

Don't know about you guys, but I don't like it. I'm glad I bought my 04 when I did.

http://iwaver.com/products/04_color/04_ ... _blue.html
Last edited by crazydave on Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
richh
bitGangsta'

Post by richh »

wonder if the shock changes were due in part to all the cracked mounts people had. if so, gotta give them credit for making a design change.

the tx looks different too.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Yeah, I give 'em credit for paying a attention to issues, but they could have just beefed up the shock tower. My shock towers took quite a bit of abuse after I just glued some strips of plstic on them to brace them in the weak spots.

I'd be willing to bet the front bumper comes right off. (With my dremel if it came down to it), but I'm still not caring for the repositioned shocks, because that limits your after market parts opportunities by straying too far from the mini-z design.
crazydave's Gallery
mod_o_matic
bitThug

Post by mod_o_matic »

There are alot of changes to the iWaver line....i belive the suspension on the 04s are tottaly diffrent too..
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

mod_o_matic wrote:There are alot of changes to the iWaver line....i belive the suspension on the 04s are tottaly diffrent too..
Are you paying attention? :-x

I just got an '04 in a trade and it needs to broke down to fix the steering wires.

I wonder if there was an improvement made on that? :???:

(IMO) The stupidest body mounting system I've dealt with. Along with the WORST bodies I've seen come on a stock vehicle.
mod_o_matic
bitThug

Post by mod_o_matic »

Buddy...THE NEW ONES!

Hobbico will the the USA distrabuter (sp?) and Towerhobbies has actually dropped mini-z and replaced them with iWavers. They will be selling the newer 02!

:???:
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

in my latest enewsletter from te they're selling what we've always known as the "iw04" with the old school tx and renamed them "firelap 4.0". they're $40 for the rtr kit.

so the "iw04" is now that new look chassis with the bumper. i guess it's their attempt at addressing the issues we had with the madforce/old design.
i used to be cool
mod_o_matic
bitThug

Post by mod_o_matic »

Yeah! Bascially, iWaver is moving away from the original Mini-Z design...
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

The 04 has the extra shocks on the rear. Could it actually be a better design?

I was right about to score an 02 any day now. Should I be holding out just a couple more weeks for the Tower Hobbies ones?

I don't know now. I really don't much about the 02. Does the original have what looks like a separate servo?
crazydave's Gallery
mod_o_matic
bitThug

Post by mod_o_matic »

crazydave wrote:The 04 has the extra shocks on the rear. Could it actually be a better design?

I was right about to score an 02 any day now. Should I be holding out just a couple more weeks for the Tower Hobbies ones?

I don't know now. I really don't much about the 02. Does the original have what looks like a separate servo?
The new one is much better..IMO
Uses a STANDARD three wire servo, i bleive comes with a CF chassis. The rear suspeinon usues somethign other then a h-plate..

I would personally wait...cuz these things could replace mini-zs or take iWaver outa the market all together..:D
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

I really would like to get a good look at the new 04’s front end. If they are using A-arms and dog bones, I wonder if there’s an AWD version planed for the future.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Here's Tower Hobbies specs forthe 02:
Chassis: 02 series on-road, bottom plate constructed of fiberglass
Drive:
Motor: 130 size
Speed Control: Electronic, with brake
Body:
Radio: 27MHz 2-channel pistol grip computer radio with LCD screen,
10-model memory, digital trims, servo reversing, ABS brake and
keypad for accessing and scrolling through menu functions
Steering Servo: Separate from PC board allowing easy replacement
Suspension: Metal kingpins with rear T-plate to control up and down
movement with pivot pin to regulate side-to-side action
Shocks: Four friction (not oil filled) type
Differential: Three pinions supplied to adapt gear ratio to
different track conditions
Gearbox:
I wonder what they mean by "Rear T-plate to control up and down movement" You think they're refering to that upper shock mount as a t-plate, or do you think they talking about a typical 02 type suspension?

And then under chassis it's saying the bottom plateis made of fiberglass. You think the bottom of the chassis is 'glass?

I know it all just speculation at this point, but damn, I hate this. :lol:
crazydave's Gallery
stagg
bitGangsta'

Post by stagg »

Whats 3 gear transmission mean?
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

stagg wrote:Whats 3 gear transmission mean?
One of those things that someone thought would sound good but doesn’t mean squat, A Bit has a 3 gear transmission i.e.
1. Pinion
2. Transfer
3. Spur
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

could mean the diff too, 3 gears in it.

personally i'm not impressed with the new 02. it looks to me like the tierod moves up and down with the front suspension travel. being alloy it would wear out and fuck up quickly i think. but i could be way off.
i used to be cool