I-Waver 04 Monster Truck vs. Mini-Z Monster Truck

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
pimpsmurf
bitGangsta'

I-Waver 04 Monster Truck vs. Mini-Z Monster Truck

Post by pimpsmurf »

Anyone know which one I should get? I want to FET mod it (Woahnelly deluxe when it is released), put my plasmatomic and LiPos in it and rock and roll. upgrades later (alloy heatsink, etc)

Number 1 thing that pisses me off is xmod-like range. I've only gotten 20-30 feet before it started getting choppy. With antennas and antenna wire, I still only got like 35 feet. I really need 75 feet of range, and would like to do nothing but put a 3' antenna tube with a tuned antenna wire on it and go!

I see clones of the mini-Z Monster and IW04 MT on Ebay that say they can use the MZMT upgrades and such. IW04 seems to have the same chassis too, so I guess it is all about the quality of the electronics. Are the clones as good as the original? Is there any real differences between the IW and MiniZ electronics or chassis? I probably won't get a clone anyway.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
-JNY
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Don't get me wrong, cause I dig mini Z and I waver shit, but it sounds like you'd be better suited with a RC18T, or even the RC18MT.

Saw one at the track Sun, and it was impressive (the rc18mt) Completely stock it was rippin... I was in awe, and will own one... Maybe not today, but I'll get it...

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
pimpsmurf
bitGangsta'

Post by pimpsmurf »

TOO BIG! It's all about the 1:28th and smaller. I already have a new plasmatomic and lipos for the truck.

From what I've read, they say that the I-waver is inferior as far as the parts are concerned, but if you are going full GPM, then it is no big deal. I'm not going to put much GPM on (just motor mount to start with), so I'm going for a Mini-Z MT.

Also, I bought a super slicks MT today. It has weird FETs. I'm going to do some research and see what I can do with it. The chassis is killer (the drivetrain is poop.)

Gotta find or wind a motor and figure out some electronics!

-JNY
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

The 1/18 trucks aren't that much bigger than the Mini Z mts.... Have you seen the RC/18T in person? It's smaller than it looks on a screen..

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

payaso wrote:The 1/18 trucks aren't that much bigger than the Mini Z mts.... Have you seen the RC/18T in person? It's smaller than it looks on a screen..
I actually saw one of those at a hobby store a few weeks ago, and I was surprised at how small it was... a really cool size, actually. It seems like if I were to dump much money into an off-road car, this'd be the one. Yeah, it actually seemed about the same size as my mini-Z (maybe a little bigger)... like, it's a bigger scale, but of a smaller vehicle.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Yeah, seriously. The Iwaver 04 is 7 inches long, I think saw somewhere, the Mini-T is like 8.5. Shop around you can find one for under $120.

I got one on my wish list. :-o
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

im gonna get a minit and they are kinda small considering it is a 1/18th
pimpsmurf
bitGangsta'

Post by pimpsmurf »

Nah! It is all about the 130 size motor (I have a X2LSPE, a Plasmatomic, and an UberDash on the way!)

I hope I don't win this auction for the modded Mini-Z Monster. I think the Firelap 4.0 would suit my needs, and for the price, I could put a few alloy parts on.

Can anyone tell me if the Mini-Z Monster or Firelap 4.0 requires a pinion puller to change the gear ratios? I'm an ex-Xmods guy and I'm moving to mini-Z / I-Waver (should have been there to begin with!)

-JNY
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Hey! Didn't we just tell you to get a Mini-T? I think we were all pretty clear. You go get a Mini-T, dammit. (With a baja bug body, so I can be jealous)

Just fartin around. Really, I got one of the first run 04s and the shock tower cracked almost immediately. I braced it up with lots of plastic and glue, but eventually went alloy. Works fine now, but the front end getting sloppy, and its no wonder the way I've abused it. I screwed the gears up too, but I replaced the whole rear end, (gear box and gears), for $5. I waver parts are cheap to replace.

I like my 04 alright, its fun, but I'd rather have a Mini-T. :lol:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
pimpsmurf
bitGangsta'

Post by pimpsmurf »

too much gangja!!! :-D

So does it require a pinion puller to change the gears (like an xmod) or is it simply gears (like on the ZZMT).

Here's to hoping...
-JNY
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

crazydave wrote:Just fartin around.
Did you just turn 60 on us? :lol:

(this ain't helpin' keeping my post count down)
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

crazydave wrote:Hey! Didn't we just tell you to get a Mini-T? I think we were all pretty clear. You go get a Mini-T, dammit. (With a baja bug body, so I can be jealous)

Just fartin around. Really, I got one of the first run 04s and the shock tower cracked almost immediately. I braced it up with lots of plastic and glue, but eventually went alloy. Works fine now, but the front end getting sloppy, and its no wonder the way I've abused it. I screwed the gears up too, but I replaced the whole rear end, (gear box and gears), for $5. I waver parts are cheap to replace.

I like my 04 alright, its fun, but I'd rather have a Mini-T. :lol:

Listen to CD damnit and get a T i just got one with some alloy baja body lol cd :-o and baja motor, bearings, streak esc etc. etc. The car is fast and handles like a dream compared to other rc vehichles. Its worth the money. And can take a beating.

but in the end its up to you buy what you want its gonna be your car isnt it. All we can do is give our opinion on the matter :-) Although i cant lie ive been wanting to try out an 04 for a little while too.
pimpsmurf
bitGangsta'

Post by pimpsmurf »

So do you change the motor pinions on a MZM to change the gear ratio? or is it all handled by transfer gears? answer, no. Use the included tool to pry them off.

yup. I'm definately getting a 28th scale MT. It is all about 130 size power. I respect your opinions on the other vehicle. I might get one of those in the future, but I want this one for now. I have a X2 Light Speed Pro Edition that will rock in this thing.

*EDIT* Now this is why you are all bitpimps, and I'm an assistant pimp. Why can't I listen to begin with? The rc18t is a sweet ride, and you can get a titanium/alluminum Driveshaft for less than what I might be paying for a modded MZM (batteries and pn03 motor to sell off). That sucks. That sucks ass. I could have a little bit bigger car with much more potential (mamba motors and ESC in this thing can get to 60mph??? WTF???)

I hope I loose this auction... hope someone else is more stupid than me.

Moral of the story for future pimps: When several Pimps are beating you over the head telling you to do something other than what you are doing. You are stupid. Listen to them.

-JNY
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

um, what? :???:

mini z and iwaver pinions can be removed by hand, no tools required (unless you buy an alloy one with a grub screw).

it's true about 04/madforce's, they're as expensive as 1:18's to upgrade and break easier. a 1:18 offroader will make you happier for longer!
but if your heart's really set on a 04/mf then go for it. we're just offering our opinions, you're the boss of you! (unless you're married that is :lol: )
i used to be cool
pimpsmurf
bitGangsta'

Post by pimpsmurf »

Well, my girlfriend lets me do what I want within reason. She hates to see several xmods show up at the same time though.

Remove them by hand? Gawd, why did I ever buy an xmod?

My heart is set on something going extremely fast. Seeing as I have an X2LSPE, and a plasmatomic, I thought it would be cool to use them in my MZM. Now I'm probably going to be stuck with this MZM (bearings, 2x3 FETs, lithium ion + charger, 18ga superflex, alloy lug nuts) for $130, when I can get a rc18t for a few dollars less AND it is the Factory Team Kit with all the alloy and titanium, etc. Ready for a mamba motor, ESC, and 3 Cell 20C Lithium pack from cheapbatterypacks.com...

*EDIT* It doesn't come with the RX/TX/Motor/etc... whoops. I'm not getting so ripped off then. *EDIT*

I hope I get the MZM Now. I'll get an RC18T when I sell this xmods stuff. There is an auction for a mamba rc18t with a 1.8Ah 15-20C 3s Lipo I could pull 60mph on electric power. woot woot. :)

-JNY