Got me the New IW02M

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
cj
Ex-Shack ZipPimp

Got me the New IW02M

Post by cj »

I recently picked up a couple of IW02's http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... KPB5**&P=7. Mine is Silver. Love the 10 model memory digital Controller. Going to have to get some IW boards and convert All my Cars over to take full advantage of the controller. It came with Extra Springs, upgrade suspension and steering parts, and motor pinions.

Now for the questions.

Besides Tower where else can I get Upgrades for this thing. I defiantly want the bearings and a Ball Diff?

What is the fastest motor I can put in it WITH OUT modding the PCB or adding a Nelly?

What parts for the Mini-Z's are compatible with this thing?
Last edited by cj on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

Ausmicro
Atomicmods
Rcmart.com
toyeast
hobby link japan

These are just a few. Personally, I like Ausmicro. They've got a good selection of hop-ups and stuff.

Motor Q; Not sure. I think the anima P, but don't quote me. I fet mod everything.

Ausmicro shop will break down the compatablity question. Just take a look at their store. I don't own an iwaver, but I've read that almost everything is compatable. They're basically a clone of the mini-z's.
Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.
Mazda787b
bitPlaya'

Post by Mazda787b »

Only things I notice that can be used on the new iw02 and the MR02 (besides wheels, tires, and the bodies) are the Diff, bearings, front knuckles, front kingpins, and front spings.
There's no replacement for displacment.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Just to make sure you guys are talking about the same thing, you do know that that IW02 is a completely new chassis design, not the MR02 clone that the IW02 used to be, which is now the Firelap 2.0.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Yes, the new, new IW02's. :-o

Very different from the older ones.

Much nicer, I gotta get one real SOON!!

Only a few parts are interchangable, like Mazda mentioned.
Mazda787b
bitPlaya'

Post by Mazda787b »

SuperFly wrote:Just to make sure you guys are talking about the same thing, you do know that that IW02 is a completely new chassis design, not the MR02 clone that the IW02 used to be, which is now the Firelap 2.0.
Yes, the ones listed on Tower are the new 02s.
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

SuperFly wrote:Just to make sure you guys are talking about the same thing, you do know that that IW02 is a completely new chassis design, not the MR02 clone that the IW02 used to be, which is now the Firelap 2.0.
Oh-yeah. I forgot. Sorry for the mis-information CJ.
Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.
cj
Ex-Shack ZipPimp

Post by cj »

Mazda787b wrote:Only things I notice that can be used on the new iw02 and the MR02 (besides wheels, tires, and the bodies) are the Diff, bearings, front knuckles, front kingpins, and front spings.
The diff, Wheels & Tires, and Bearings are going to be my first upgrades. I also want to get that replacement carbon Fiber chassis for this thing since the thin plastic looks really brittle.

I know Ph2t has an Nelly for this thing but I want to know what in stock form can I really run for a motor?
Mazda787b
bitPlaya'

Post by Mazda787b »

I really shoul dpost a review on this thing, I ended up having to almost totally overhaul one at the last GTG.

But, the stock chassis is unfortunately junk. The screws strip out very easily. You also should pick up another servo saver, the stock "spring" (a plactic c-clip) is very weak. You sould try an put a hard spring arount it from the front end, or you could glue the saver together to make a standard servo horn.

I would reccomend picking up the items you already listed, as well a screw set, and possibly a CF upper damper mount. The stock diff does not woek with any Z bearing sets (even the iWaver one) because the shaft is not the same size.

As for motors, I have heard the I-Plus is the hottest you can run. I have also heard accounts on MZR about a stock Mini-z motor smoking the FETs. Hobbico is aware of the problem, I called them and said my pro motor fried my FETs and they sent me a new board within 3 days time, no questions asked. I am sure you know how to do a FET upgrade, or atleast know someone who will do one for you.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Mazda787b wrote:I really shoul dpost a review on this thing, I ended up having to almost totally overhaul one at the last GTG.

But, the stock chassis is unfortunately junk. The screws strip out very easily. You also should pick up another servo saver, the stock "spring" (a plactic c-clip) is very weak. You sould try an put a hard spring arount it from the front end, or you could glue the saver together to make a standard servo horn.

I would reccomend picking up the items you already listed, as well a screw set, and possibly a CF upper damper mount. The stock diff does not woek with any Z bearing sets (even the iWaver one) because the shaft is not the same size.

As for motors, I have heard the I-Plus is the hottest you can run. I have also heard accounts on MZR about a stock Mini-z motor smoking the FETs. Hobbico is aware of the problem, I called them and said my pro motor fried my FETs and they sent me a new board within 3 days time, no questions asked. I am sure you know how to do a FET upgrade, or atleast know someone who will do one for you.
So, in your opinion, If I've already got 2-3 good, fast MR02s running, do I need one of these? Would it be better just to build one from the ground up using good parts vs. starting with a readyset?
Mazda787b
bitPlaya'

Post by Mazda787b »

In my honest opinion, I wouldn't buy one. I would take the $100 you would put into it and buy a nice digital transmitter, or parts for your MR02s. I am one of the few people who have recieved working iWaver digital tx, and had no problems. After a week with it, the one on the new IW02 died.

iWavers are fool for bashing around, but they aren't so great in a pack of Zs. At low power, the iWaver digital transmitter causes interference around the whole track for every car, regardless of what channel you are on. It will even shoot down signals to Kyoshos as they drive under the tx. These problems were when running an iWaver tx with an iWaver chassis. I used the same tx with an MR-01 and had no problems whatsoever.

The chassis design isn't all that bad. Personally, I did not like the roll shock setup, as they allow for no dampening. What I did on my friend's was replace the shocks with fuel tubing, and later on we are going to use a 1/10 sedan sway bar to keep it planted.

If you truly wanted one, I would recomend building one from the upgrade parts, and using a Kyosho board out of a used 01 or something. Like I said earlier, with a bit of work they can be good cars. Granted I have not had that great of an experience with the car, but I love the original run of 02s, based off of the Kyosho design. It doesn't matter what that car would have in it, I would put my money on an MR02 to beat it 99% of the time. I used to love my iWaver 02, but once I raced a Kyosho, I wouldn't go back.

But then again, iWavers are cheap fun. I would happily buy an older readyset off of eBay to mess around with. It sure is beats bashing on that beautiful 575GTC I have on the MR02.

So it is up to you. If you just want one to mess around with, try one out. I would reccomend buying form the LHS or TinyRC because I think Tower's Customer Service is kind of iffy. iWaver bearings, polished kingpins, and a kyosho gear diff is all it needs to run smooth.

If you plan on buildig a racing machine out of it, be prepared to sink some money into it. Every one of the plastic chassis on the new 02s I have seen were tweaked. Again, what I listed above would make a nice simple track car, but adding a Kyosho ball diff and MZR dry bearings wil maek the drivetrin like butter.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Cool, thanks, you just saved me a bunch of money. I'm totally on the same page regarding iWaver vs. Kyosho. I like my iWavers for what they are, but if I have to kick someone's ass, I'll be driving a Kyosho MR02.

I bought a Firelap 2.0 (the "new" old IW02) a little while ago, and you can trick one out pretty nicely with cheap iWaver parts, but ultimately it's that extra 5% of quality and precision with Kyosho that makes the difference. It also usually is the difference between a night of non-stop driving or a night of drive-tweak-drive-tweak-drive-go-home-because-something-broke.

That's interesting stuff you were saying about the tx. Did they change the tx from the original IW02, or is it the same digital, 10 car memory model? That was half the reason I bought the Firelap, and I've been pretty happy with the controller, but we have had interference issues. Hmmm.
MafiaS
bitGangsta'

Post by MafiaS »

Oh no! Don't tell me they will interfere with my MR-02s?

I wanted to race all these bad boys together!

I got one Mr-02 stock, and I love it!

I got 1 Xmod Gen1 and...it needs all kinds of work to just barely keep up

So I baught an Iwaver 02 off of towers...figured they'd be nice to hop up with miniZ parts see how they perform...plus I get the parts cheap, so why not...

now this frequency issue.....hmm.....more troubles for mafia i guess eh :(
Mazda787b
bitPlaya'

Post by Mazda787b »

Superfly,

What you jsut stated was my whole dilema with the iWavers, they required constant tuning to run correctly.

The new tx is the same, as far as software goes, but it looses the thumb rocker buttons for steering and throttle exp and moves them onto the "game controller-like buttons" under the screen. This makes it basically useless in racing. For instance, the MR-01 I was running threw a left front tire in both mains, and in two heats. Luckily, I was using the iWaver tx, and was able to dial in more steering. I was able to hold onto 2nd place. Had I been using my KT-5, I would have certainly lost.

How is the new Firelap 2.0? I still think one would be fun to bash. The new bodies are like tanks.

Mafia,

Mind you, I was using the older iWaver tx in conjunction with another iWaver. It may or may not interfere with your MR-02. From what I know, iWaver's quality is hit-or-miss.

When you get your iWaver, please post about it. I am curious to see if you experienced the same problems we did.
MafiaS
bitGangsta'

Post by MafiaS »

I will....my best friend works at a hobby shop, we should get em in a week or so.

I really wanted the Saleen, lol...

Anyhow he plans to hop the shit out of it, and I want this as another project car as well.

Once i get them in i will let you know if there are any problems...

BTW, i was searching on Towerhobbies...are these worth gettin for the IWavers?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXKRN8&P=7