Got me the New IW02M

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
Mazda787b
bitPlaya'

Post by Mazda787b »

Unless you can't do a FET job, then its not worth it. Even if you can't do one, you would still be better off buying the FETs and having someone install them for you. The PRO board still has limitations. A 2x3 or 2x4 stack of IRF7317s or SI4562DYs will be more than enough for what you will ever run.
There's no replacement for displacment.
MafiaS
bitGangsta'

Post by MafiaS »

So that's good right? i could get em dirt cheap, like 10 dollars Canadian.

So for me it does not matter. I am pressuming they are just as good as most FET upgrades out there correct?

Seriously i am sorry if this is one retarded question...

Could you rid the Gen1 board and put this Iwaver Pro board into the Gen1?

Since i can get my hands on some I figure use them as much as I can right?

This way I could use a Iwaver TX with my Xmod Gen1 Chassis..........correct?

Am I finally understanding it?
Mazda787b
bitPlaya'

Post by Mazda787b »

No, it is not even 1/2 as good when compared to a stack of 7317, 7389, or 4562. It is only made to handle an iWaver PRO motor, so if you never plan on upgrading to anything hotter than that you will be fine. But if you plan to drop a plasmatomic in later on, it will be a complete waste of money. BUT, if you can get a diagram for wiring the servo, an iWaver board would be great in an Xmod. Betty.K did just that, do a search for Project GT Fawty and look at his car.
There's no replacement for displacment.
MafiaS
bitGangsta'

Post by MafiaS »

Sorry if I am kicking the shit out of this thread, but I wanted to perhaps ask something relevant to the topic of Iwaver 02's.

I am not sure, but i wanted to ask if anyone knew the "out of the box" speed of the Iwaver 02's. and for extra info if they knew the out of the box speed for the miniz mr-02...?

If this has been asked before I apologize.
cj
Ex-Shack ZipPimp

Post by cj »

Got a chance to run on an RCP track and now have some questions for the Firelap and Iwaver owners.

What parts between the MR02 and the IW New 02 are compatable?
Last edited by cj on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

I'm a little confused with this issue. I know someone mentioned that the "new IW02" is different from the old IW02 and that the Firelap 2.0 is the new name for the old IW02. I have an IW02 and it's exactly the same as the Firelap 2.0 and my Kyosho MR-02 except the overall quality, controller and PCB. I also know that there is a IW02M coming out or is already out. I haven't seen any shots of a different chassis for the IW02. From what I've seen there is only the following (on-road);

IW-01
IW-02
IW-02M

Is there a difference between a new IW02 and an old IW02 besides the controller?

Others;
MR-01
MR-015
MR-02
MR-010 (AWD)

Firelap 2.0

From what I know, as I own an IW-02, a Firelap 2.0 and a MR-02, everything is compatable. I can swap out differentials, wheels, king pins, motor mounts, stock motors, mono-shocks, etc.....
Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

HACHI-RYOKU wrote:Is there a difference between a new IW02 and an old IW02 besides the controller?
Completely different chassis, almost no interchangeable parts. You old iW02 and the Firelap 2.0 should be nearly identical, while the new iWaver has a completely different chassis design:

cj
Ex-Shack ZipPimp

Post by cj »

SuperFly wrote:
HACHI-RYOKU wrote:Is there a difference between a new IW02 and an old IW02 besides the controller?
Completely different chassis, almost no interchangeable parts. You old iW02 and the Firelap 2.0 should be nearly identical, while the new iWaver has a completely different chassis design:

To help with some of the confusion the IW02 I have has a full plate chassis not like the firelap/mr02. It is close to that one without the plugs.

Here are some pics

CAR

Chassis with some carbon fiber upgrades.

Bottom with Replaced Chassis.

HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

That's an IW02M. I noticed Tower hobbies has them labelled as IW02, when they're actually an IW02M. There is the first version of the M series which CJ has pictured and the new M series that Superfly posted. The new series has plugs for the lights, motor and steering. The steering plug is on the PCB under the cover. The PCB may differ some too.

Now I'm getting it. I was getting confused because there is a lot of people refering to a new 02 and an old 02. The new 02 is an 02M.

How does the steering servo center after turns on that new chassis? Is it still iffy like the old one?
cj
Ex-Shack ZipPimp

Post by cj »

HACHI-RYOKU wrote:That's an IW02M. I noticed Tower hobbies has them labelled as IW02, when they're actually an IW02M. There is the first version of the M series which CJ has pictured and the new M series that Superfly posted. The new series has plugs for the lights, motor and steering. The steering plug is on the PCB under the cover. The PCB may differ some too.

Now I'm getting it. I was getting confused because there is a lot of people refering to a new 02 and an old 02. The new 02 is an 02M.

How does the steering servo center after turns on that new chassis? Is it still iffy like the old one?
Servo doesn't center after turns. I was wandering if replacing the servo with a Mini-T servo would solve the problem though.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

cj wrote:Servo doesn't center after turns. I was wandering if replacing the servo with a Mini-T servo would solve the problem though.
man, a busted mini t servo would probably be better than an iwaver servo :lol:

either the servo sucks or iwaver haven't addressed the pissweak steering issue.
if you got a spare 3 wire servo (any size) kicking around try it out, see if it centers properly. if it does then get a better servo for the iw.
if it doesn't then the steering's too weak, you're screwed! :lol:

wait, not you're not, give 'er more volts :eek: :-o
i used to be cool
cj
Ex-Shack ZipPimp

Post by cj »

betty.k wrote:
cj wrote:Servo doesn't center after turns. I was wandering if replacing the servo with a Mini-T servo would solve the problem though.
man, a busted mini t servo would probably be better than an iwaver servo :lol:

either the servo sucks or iwaver haven't addressed the pissweak steering issue.
if you got a spare 3 wire servo (any size) kicking around try it out, see if it centers properly. if it does then get a better servo for the iw.
if it doesn't then the steering's too weak, you're screwed! :lol:

wait, not you're not, give 'er more volts :eek: :-o
I got a brand new MINI-T servo. The Servos on the I waver and the MiniT are 4 wire not 3.
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

I think it's just under powered. I'm not positive about the exact kind of steering fet used. It doesn't have the standard two fet setup for the steering. It only has one fet and I think it's something different than a regular fet. I've been looking for a tech sheet on it but haven't found anything yet. If I can find a tech sheet I could probably find a replacement. The idea of course would be to try and find something with less on resistance in it to allow more power to the steering so it will center properly.

This is the info I've found on the steering fet so far;
SO-8 design
Made by STMicroelectronics
Associated with FDLab Design

Part #
CD440/L9110

You may be able to find them in a tech book easier under CD440. I've located some CD441, 42 and 43 but I can't find the CD440. I haven't found any listings even closely resembling L9110.

You may also be able to find some information under the following listings;
MZ-01
MZ-012004-01

I'm puting this info out in case some of the more tech savy people have some other info.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

well that just sucks, i was under the impression that the iw02 took a real 3 wire servo.
but if it's 4 wires then all they did was route the solder tabs to a plug, whoop de fuckin' doo :lol:

mini inferno servos are also 4 wire, 12mm x 23mm x 23mm.
http://www.towerhobbies.com/help/convcalcs.html :-)
i used to be cool
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

The steering eletronics on the iwaver series is not actually a "single fet" per 'se but a custom little "h-bridge in a chip" sort of design.

This is good for space and cost considerations from a manufacturing point of view but piss poor in terms of performance.

On stock motors this chip powers the servo motor OK, but start increasing the current draw to the PCb wth a hot(ish) motor and you will see a lack of power being delivered to the servo motor.

The work around to this is to remove the chip and make your own little h-bridge to control the motor. "the bug" turbo I made for Epochs is just right for this sort of application. and it works too!

Unfortunately, stacking this custom chip with anopther one doesn't have the same effect as stacking mosfets....

ph2t.
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.