Motor goodness?

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
canabits
bitThug

Motor goodness?

Post by canabits »

Passed this idea through betty.k and it seemed to get a decent reaction so I'll post for feedback here.

I've got a friend who built up a jig to modify 1/24 slot car endbells for use on 130 size motors. I'm positive such a modification wouldn't fit in a stock Mini-Z motor mount, but for something more open unit (like one from PN Racing) it'd work well.

I've never been much of a fan of the 130 motor brush/brush arm set-up in that it's very difficult to get proper tension on the arm. Moving to a modified slot car setup would give you more tuning opportunities (much like larger scale electric motors) with various brush and sping setups possible.

For a VERY rough idea of what the hell I'm talking about see the pics on the following page... http://www.slotcars.org/ohora/130motors.htm

Any Mini-Z racers think it's worth looking into in more depth?
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Re: Motor goodness?

Post by BilboBaggins »

canabits wrote:Passed this idea through betty.k and it seemed to get a decent reaction so I'll post for feedback here.

I've got a friend who built up a jig to modify 1/24 slot car endbells for use on 130 size motors. I'm positive such a modification wouldn't fit in a stock Mini-Z motor mount, but for something more open unit (like one from PN Racing) it'd work well.

I've never been much of a fan of the 130 motor brush/brush arm set-up in that it's very difficult to get proper tension on the arm. Moving to a modified slot car setup would give you more tuning opportunities (much like larger scale electric motors) with various brush and sping setups possible.

For a VERY rough idea of what the hell I'm talking about see the pics on the following page... http://www.slotcars.org/ohora/130motors.htm

Any Mini-Z racers think it's worth looking into in more depth?
Cool, It looks like an old "C" can motor. I think I still have a few of them with different Arms in them. I used to be able to make them sing. I even had a diamond hone to polish the magnets.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.