Spiral Armature?

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
Zenith
bitGangsta'

Spiral Armature?

Post by Zenith »

Anybody know anything about these? Sounds promissing, but you never know.

one28thrc.com wrote:An armature normally has 3 pieces which have an electro magnet wound on each piece. When rotating, and the first piece is forced past one magnet due to the opposite polarity. It begins to slow down right before it reaches the other mag, but then it gets shot around again because of the second piece of the armature coming into contact with the first magnet. A electro magnet on a spiral arm gets pushed a bit more since it takes more time for each piece to pass each magnet. Right when the 1st piece is about to pass through the magnetic field, the 2nd piece of the armature comes into contact with that magnet. The spiral version has a longer exposure time to the magnet because of it's spiral-like design. For that same reason, it comes into contact with the opposite magnet sooner as well. Basically it provides a more constant rotational force.
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

If not for more power, it could at least keep the motor cooler, since spirals vent out air quicker and more efficiently like a fan. That would be enough of a reason for me to get one because I tend to run my motors hotter, and also I live in a relatively warm climate, so yea. I kind of get the principle they are going for here, and it doesn't seem that bad. Nice find!
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

The angle of the slant determines the quality of the armature.
15 degree slant for high RPMs, and
10 degree slant for more torque.