MA-010 Hopups - Mini-Reviews

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
Sasquatch
bitHood

MA-010 Hopups - Mini-Reviews

Post by Sasquatch »

I have an MA-010. Stock was fun for a while, but it lacked the snap out of corners and the punchiness I was wanting. I didn't want to go for FET's or fancy motors (2 Iwaver motors burnt out...), and I liked the stock gearing that I had at the moment. No photos since there's not much too see other than the promo pictures from the manufacturers site. If I ever have to get into the front end again, I'll make a tutorial on how to fit the bearings and driveshaft.

PN Racing Speedy Torque Motor, Non-booster. I picked this up because I burnt a motor out by driving in a too dirty of an area. :rolleyes: I wanted to keep my stock FET's, and wanted something torqueir than the Iwaver Plus! I previously had. This is a nice motor, has a good punchy low-end and is still nice and responsive in the higher RPM's. A good first upgrade motor for the beginner, drifter or tight-track racer. After the next two installations it worked much nicer, more punchy than before and had a much higher top speed.
Ratings: 8.5/10 (stock) 9.5/10 (w/upgrades)
+ Punchy all-around
+ Not too ballistic and easy to control, yet can still get you up to speeds that can get you into trouble
- Re-solder capacitors to install
Must Have Rating: 8.5/10 for beginner

Bearings. First hopup came to my mind. More power, longer rollout and longer runtimes. I picked up a set of the PN Racing ball bearings. A nice set, but they're open on at least one side (*tip, when putting in the knuckles, put the open side into the knuckle to help shield from dust and dirt) which is the only downfall. I would've waited for the MZR Dry bearings, but they took too long. Couple minutes putting them (have fun installing the bearing on the front for the driveshaft. Remove the PCB Cover, twist the PCB, remove the three screws, remove that cover, then get to that last screw above the driveshaft in the front) with some help from Machine, and I was ready to roll. A couple laps with them and I could really see the difference in power, acceleration, top speed and rollout. Rolls about a foot farther than stock and is much smoother too.
Ratings: 9/10
+ Much better overall, faster and longer runtimes
+ Quality better than Kyosho for same price
- Open bearings
- Front bearing install of driveshaft
Must Have Rating: 9/10

I wanted more snap and more acceleration, so I opted for the Kyosho Titanium Driveshaft. gain, more fun with the front end. After that was done, again, more laps. WOW! :blink: There was a huge difference overall, accel, top speed, everything! The car was much snappier, more responsive to throttle inputs and was a much more livelier car.
[colo=red]Ratings: 10/10[/color]
+ Lighter than stock, much lighter
+ Titanium!
- Installation is a bit tricky
Must Have Rating: 10/10

Overall, my MA-010 is much snappier, is much quicker and faster than a stock MA-010 and just plain rocks. Bearings, motor and a titanium driveshaft are must haves, whether it's for having fun or racing, beginner or veteran.

*Note: All testings were short-term and installed in same order as review, just one day and several laps. I'll update for a long-term review
Sasquatch
bitHood

Post by Sasquatch »

So I guess noone here really is into Mini-Z's and racing? :(
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

No, no, no! The info is totally appreciated! I read it when you posted it, but didn't have time to comment. I'm fully invested in MR02s (and a few freak 01s), but eventually will need to get an AWD. Since I don't own one yet (or even really studied them much), the info isn't particularly useful YET.

BTW, unless I missed it, what kind of surface are you driving on? Do you have an MR02 (for comparison sake)?
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

seems you just nailed it right. one question though, as i'm not familiar with
abbreviation MA-010, are you talking about AWD mini-z?
Sasquatch
bitHood

Post by Sasquatch »

SupahFly - I do have an 02, an IW-02 and I'm purchasing an MR-02 from Mazda787B, but I'm so involved with my MA-010 that I haven't had time to really run the IW-02 and get it to smooth running yet. But don't worry, my MA-010 is very close to being dialed and fully race ready, so it shouldn't be long before I start working on both 02's.

ynad - Sorry, it's just one of my pet peeves, but I just HATE it when they call a 4WD vehicle, AWD. AWD refers to a vehicle with a center differential and usually is computer controlled or regulated, 4WD can have a center diff but sometimes doesn't and is fully mechanical. BTW, I'm talking about full scale and R/C.

The surface I am running on is foam mats, not RCP but a cheaper version. I'll give a link to a video instead of pictures, not sure about linking to other forums. It's filmed and edited by Machine from OCMinimoto, track is out in Vancouver, BC with a small half-and-half father and son shop. Half pocketbikes and everything fast, the other half (Machine controls) is the R/C half, so far currently just 28th scale but soon expanding to 18th scale.

This is a very fun track and quite tech because of all of the bumps, plus it's a bit narrow and the very end, there is an extremely tight chicane before going into the sweeper onto the back straight. Fun and tech.
Track Version 2.0
(I'm not in the video :( :lol: )
Aaron
bitPlaya'

Post by Aaron »

Got the Ti shaft for mine yesterday. But it's getting a compelte rebuild before I put it in so a further review could take a while ;)

A.
91LudeSiT
bitHood

Post by 91LudeSiT »

I would think the CF shaft would be lighter, can anybody give me the measurements for the drive shaft, I need the diameter, the length, and the lenght and depth for the D cuts.
Sasquatch
bitHood

Post by Sasquatch »

I've heard of problems with using a CF shaft, that it would twist and warp under power and more so with the more powerful motor you got. Thats why I went titanium, plus it has the metal front pinion instead of plastic.

Dimensions should be Kyosho's website under the Manuals for the car.
91LudeSiT
bitHood

Post by 91LudeSiT »

I have a guy who is gonna make some CF shafts that won't twist and frey like that. Thanks for the info sasquach